Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really needing to relocate my rear turn signals on my 99 vlx..i plan on buying the "turn signal relocation" bracket thingy from cruisercustomizing....my question is this....

how difficult would it be for someone with l-l <--this much experiance/skill with wiring to do this? will it take me using looonger wires? will i have to connect/solder anything? will my scoot spontaneously combust if i even attempt it?

please give me some foresight (thats foreSIGHT for all gutterbrained folks) into this...thank you

dave

·
Registered
902 Posts
It's pretty much a bolt-off, bolt-on change. Take your time and be careful not to bash anything with the wrenches that you want to keep looking pretty.
The only hitch will be the wiring. Most of the kits I've seen require cutting off the old wires and splicing on the longer wires that come with the kit. You do this behind the turn signal bracket, no need to dig into the bowels of the machine.
BUT if they come with those quickie press-on butt splice thingies, throw them away and solder the wires on. If you don't know how to solder, it's worth the price of a couple of beers to get a buddy to do it for you. The normal vibration on a bike makes anything but soldered connections too unreliable.
JMHO
-G

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonzo said:
If you want to bring it up to Plano I can help you with this....

Gonz
man, when i get a few more miles under my belt, i would actually jump at the chance to learn some things from you gonz....maybe we can work something out this summer....

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Soldering wires is easy, easy. Here's a link on how to do it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f2nrsly7ea6/tech/kb1807.html

My suggestion is before connecting the wires together get some heat shrink tubing and slide it over one of the wires and slide it down several inches away from where you are about to solder the wires (away from the heat). After the wire cools, slide the heat shrink tubing over the soldered wires and apply heat with a heat gun or match or bic lighter to shrink the tubing. It makes for a professional looking job and so much better than black electrical tape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.