Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 2003 Shadow 600 has been giving us problems. On a totally random basis, the battery will be to weak to start the bike. Jump or roll start it and it'll run fine for a week or two. Then sometimes after being parked overnight or even after a 20 minute ride, same problem.

I had the battery load tested and it appears to be OK. So today i tested the rec/reg. Six different combinations as per YouTube. 6 with equal readings, 5 with zero and one indicating backward flow.

YEAH, Problem Solved. But then I went on line - rec/reg range from $30 to over $100.

Any suggestions????

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,166 Posts
I recommend the oem part from Partzilla. How old is the one that failed?

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
219 Posts
I personally wouldn't trust the $30 ones. I'd probably go oem for a 600.

I tend to go for overkill and mounted the Shindengen SH847 under my 1100, Rock steady voltage... tight fit though, probably 3x larger than the 600 one.

Agree w/oldguy... stay away from the cheapie $30 items on e-Bay. Buy OEM or a quality aftermarket item like an ElectroSport: www.electrosport.com/collections/street-motorcycles-honda-2003-vt600c-vt600cd-shadow-vlx

Best to do it once and do it right!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recommend the oem part from Partzilla. How old is the one that failed?
I'm guessing it's the original 2003. We bought the bike in 2018 with 9000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,026 Posts
The stock R/R lasted 15 years and 38,000km, it had had enough, the stator and the 3 yellow wires were perfect though and still are. Now I've mentioned it., maybe it's a Schrodinger's Cat and I may or may not be fscked any time now. )-:

I went for a twenty odd dollar regulator, it had a 90 day warranty, it lasted 92 days. You can say what you want, but that's precision quality control! |-:

I then bought an ElectroSport HD it was a bit of a pain I had to drill new holes for my 750 ACE, it was kinda expensive for me due to bad timing, it is six years now, still works like day 1. (-:

I'd probably go to RoadsterCycle or Ignitech these days, no reason other than to try something else. (-;

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,618 Posts
Could you mount one of those cheap little digital voltmeters for power sports equipment on the bike and try monitoring that for voltages during rides and starts?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decision made. Someone recommended DB Electrical. They're an American Company in Kingsport, TN.
Funny thing is, I went to their website and they showed the one I needed as "out of stock" but their Amazon store had it.
Thanks to all for their advice.

Reactions: kesanders
1 - 9 of 9 Posts