Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be cheaper to just buy a running bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a full custom build that I'm heavily invested in. Dynojet stage 1 kit, K&N airfilter, new honda rebel rear 10" shocks. I cut the rear frame. Fabricated and installed a new rear fender. Bought a new headlight, turn signals, wrapped and painted pipes. New pirelli tires. Rebuilt master cylinder and slave cylinder. New oil and fuel filter. ..and more. I can't just walk away now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks like you are upside down in this project. Without the skills to complete it yourself it’s just a pile of parts with little value. You will be lucky to find a shop that will touch it at all. And if you do it will be a blank check job. Sorry just my pragmatic opinion. Good luck and I hope I’m wrong.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like you are upside down in this project. Without the skills to complete it yourself it’s just a pile of parts with little value. You will be lucky to find a shop that will touch it at all. And if you do it will be a blank check job. Sorry just my pragmatic opinion. Good luck and I hope I’m wrong.

I actually can do it but it's not worth the frustration. Pretty sure I can get a guy to do it for me for $500 bucks tomorrow.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
For a custom project I always do wiring myself, nothing worse than having an electrical issue down the road and having no clue where any of the components are because you had no hands on it.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
You might be able to find and independent shop to do it, but a dealership, i'd guess not a chance in hell of them touching it.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I can easily rewire the harness. What I can't do as easily is determine how to remove a portion of the harness that I don't need. I want to remove the warning light cluster.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a custom project I always do wiring myself, nothing worse than having an electrical issue down the road and having no clue where any of the components are because you had no hands on it.
The bike was stock when I got it and I was trying to relocate a fuse box to get rid of the gauges and warning light cluster and the plastic housing. I managed to do this but then I either blew a fuse or had a loose connection. I can reinstall the harness no problem. My issue is figuring out if I can eliminate the warning light sockets or if the bike needs the bulbs in them to complete a circuit elsewhere on the bike.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to figure out if I can get rid of this. That's the socket that holds the warning lights. I may just buy an electronic harness controller for my lights and go with a barebone wiring setup for everything else.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
Remove the tape and loom from the whole harness, trace back from source and remove the wiring associated with the dash warning light sockets and bridge the required connections if power passed through a removed portion. 12V electrics are all fairly simple circuits, Grab a DMM and some beer and dig in!

May be better off wiring it from scratch, especially if the harness has brittle insulation from age.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remove the tape and loom from the whole harness, trace back from source and remove the wiring associated with the dash warning light sockets and bridge the required connections if power passed through a removed portion. 12V electrics are all fairly simple circuits, Grab a DMM and some beer and dig in!

May be better off wiring it from scratch, especially if the harness has brittle insulation from age.
The insulation is in great shape. I'm going to buy some wire and some connector pieces tomorrow and relocate the fuse box. Right now I'm going over everything and marking each connection with tape and a marker. Gotta learn somehow I guess lol.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
The light bulbs don't so anything but indicate a circuit.is open, closed, etc. They do not control anything.
But the connector block with all the fuses and connectors is the most important.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The light bulbs don't so anything but indicate a circuit.is open, closed, etc. They do not control anything.
But the connector block with all the fuses and connectors is the most important.

I've managed to reinstall my harness ( had it completely out) and now learning to interpret the wiring diagram. It seems pretty straight forward now that I've spent a day learning about this.

My question is this. Can I remove this entire piece from the harness. It's the sockets that hold the bulbs ( pic).

Here's another pic.

How do I remove the sockets but still keep the wires circled in green? ( I forget what they are for at the moment )..

This was the state of my project a few hours ago. I got it all back on now. Tomorrow I'm going to be extending some wires to give me more slack to relocate my fuse box and then I'll try and figure out how to remove those lights..

Any help is much appreciated, even if you want to give me a phone call so we cold talk easier. I'd even pay you for your help dude.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Pretty sure you can cut all the wires after the fuse box for that warning light bulb box and insulate them well.
The 3 wires at the top look like turn signal so save those.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty sure you can cut all the wires after the fuse box for that warning light bulb box and insulate them well.
The 3 wires at the top look like turn signal so save those.
So the orange wire is for the turn signal(s), but the other two aren't and lead out of that bulb box.

The more I look at the diagrams and stare at my harness the more I start to understand...or so I think lol.

Not wanting to consfuse you, I should mention that the diagram in the pic is for an 84 Magna 700 but the colors are the same and so is the wiring for the most part. I can't find a diagram for the 85 vt700/750 that's in color.

·
Registered
1985 VT700
21 Posts
The bike was stock when I got it and I was trying to relocate a fuse box to get rid of the gauges and warning light cluster and the plastic housing. I managed to do this but then I either blew a fuse or had a loose connection. I can reinstall the harness no problem. My issue is figuring out if I can eliminate the warning light sockets or if the bike needs the bulbs in them to complete a circuit elsewhere on the bike.
FWIW, my bikes warning lamps did not work due to dirty connections at all of the bulbs and the bike still ran fine.
I cleaned all the sockets and replaced the bulbs to correct this.
So in my experience, working bulbs are not required for the bike to run.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts