Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Depends on year I guess, Even if the diagram is not in color the individual wire colors should be marked and have a legend on the schematic. Get some colored hi-lighters and mark what you need. You can bypass the indicators and in most cases eliminate the wire from the harness. Don't know about 84, newer models use a single turn signal indicator bulb for both sides and depend on feeding through the bulb to the non-blinking side for ground to light the indicator. LED turn signals need to re-arrange the indicator bulb by adding diodes to the 2 wires, connecting them to one side of the bulb and grounding the other side. Also on newer ones, the neutral and kickstand lights are tied into the clutch switch and start circuits and could be eliminated by wiring the start button direct to the solenoid. Remember though, there's a reason they added these things, Pretty embarrasing to accidently hit the start button and lurch forward into the bike in front of you... And people tend to turn left in front of you more readily if your turn signal is on,,,

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
Not wanting to confuse you, I should mention that the diagram in the pic is for an 84 Magna 700 but the colors are the same and so is the wiring for the most part. I can't find a diagram for the 85 vt700/750 that's in color.
The part that concerns me is what do you mean by "for the most part"?

Also, you don't need a wiring diagram in color for anything. All you need is the wiring diagram for your specific bike. All the colors will be noted on each wire.

I wouldn't even think of starting this job without the factory wiring diagram, AND the Factory Service Manual, which will explain in detail how your warning gauges and looms are located on the bike, with clear and explicit diagrams.

Without the above two items, all you are doing is asking for more trouble by 'guessing' what each wire does, and if you need it or not.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The part that concerns me is what do you mean by "for the most part"?

Also, you don't need a wiring diagram in color for anything. All you need is the wiring diagram for your specific bike. All the colors will be noted on each wire.

I wouldn't even think of starting this job without the factory wiring diagram, AND the Factory Service Manual, which will explain in detail how your warning gauges and looms are located on the bike, with clear and explicit diagrams.

Without the above two items, all you are doing is asking for more trouble by 'guessing' what each wire does, and if you need it or not.

I wasn't guessing and I do use the proper diagrams which so happen to be in black and white. I uploaded that photo because it was in color and had the same wiring as my bike regarding the warning lights. Since yesterday I've learned to interpret wiring diagrams and I shouldn't have any issues relocating my fuse box and getting the bike running. I reinstalled my harness in about 15 mins last night. It's not all that hard.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
I wasn't guessing and I do use the proper diagrams which so happen to be in black and white. I uploaded that photo because it was in color and had the same wiring as my bike regarding the warning lights. Since yesterday I've learned to interpret wiring diagrams and I shouldn't have any issues relocating my fuse box and getting the bike running. I reinstalled my harness in about 15 mins last night. It's not all that hard.
Excellent! Sounds like you're on the way to a successful outcome!

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Now you're cooking w
Now you're cooking! Best way to learn is to dive in!

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Depends on year I guess, Even if the diagram is not in color the individual wire colors should be marked and have a legend on the schematic. Get some colored hi-lighters and mark what you need. You can bypass the indicators and in most cases eliminate the wire from the harness. Don't know about 84, newer models use a single turn signal indicator bulb for both sides and depend on feeding through the bulb to the non-blinking side for ground to light the indicator. LED turn signals need to re-arrange the indicator bulb by adding diodes to the 2 wires, connecting them to one side of the bulb and grounding the other side. Also on newer ones, the neutral and kickstand lights are tied into the clutch switch and start circuits and could be eliminated by wiring the start button direct to the solenoid. Remember though, there's a reason they added these things, Pretty embarrasing to accidently hit the start button and lurch forward into the bike in front of you... And people tend to turn left in front of you more readily if your turn signal is on,,,
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to hopefully sort this mess out today.
Excellent! Sounds like you're on the way to a successful outcome!

More than likely. Hoping for the best . Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
752 Posts
I prefer my wiring diagrams be in color; it's so much easier to follow the wire all around the diagram.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts