Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've always wanted a '98-02 aero, and there's one being sold fairly close. It looks to be completely stock. If it's in good working condition, how much do you think is a fair price?

Link to bike

·
Registered
658 Posts
I recently wholesaled mine for $3650 - and it needed tires. The dealer that bought it will probably hope to resale it for a grand over what he'll have 'in it' - or close to 5 grand.

Mid-to-high $4ks is a fair price. The one in your link will probably sell for a touch over $4500. Can't really tell if it needs anything or not. The mirrors aren't stock - I can tell you that.

FWIW - most people prefer the 98-00 single-pin crankshaft models because they have a cadence in the exhaust note similar to H-D's. They ARE great sounding bikes with a smidgeoen less restriction than stock in the exhaust. I put a Roadhouse slip-on muffler on mine and it sounded GREAT - just a tad louder than stock but with more rumble/meatyness. But they do put out fewer horses and have more vibration than the 01-02 dual-pin crankshaft models.

But if you plan to do a LOT of freeway miles? Get an 01-02. I got rid of mine specifically because I couldn't take the numbness in my face after riding for hour-plus commutes on the freeway. If you're going to do mostly backroads and short hops - there aren't any other Hondas that sound better IMHO.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Thats way too much bread for a 10 year old scooter.
Keep looking, there are better deals out there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
gat803 said:
Thats way too much bread for a 10 year old scooter.
Keep looking, there are better deals out there.
Mine was only a year newer than the one in the link and I got a dealer to pay me $3650 - almost exactly what kbb.com had as a wholesale for it. Add a couple/three hundred for tires and he's got almost $4k in it.

$4500 is probably what that scoot is gonna sell for. They're simply asking $4900 for it knowing they'll need room to negotiate.

IMHO, the asking price isn't out of line for it. I wouldn't PAY that for it - but I'm betting there's at least $500 of 'room' in that price.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Even $4500 is too much too me.
Any machine is only worth what some one is willing to pay. This isn't a high demand scoot and there are lots of them around. Some hunting and some horse trading should buy a bike like this one for substantialy less than $4500. Aeromark, while I don't think you gave yours away, you did sell it for alot less. So I would think there is some one else that is willing to do the same thing.
Around here 5 large will get you into an '02/'03 maybe even an '04. Even my 2004 Spirit 11 would be lucky to go for more than $5500 with all the bling.

I do agree with the opinion on the single/dual pin motors though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Hey all,
I've always wanted a '98-02 aero, and there's one being sold fairly close. It looks to be completely stock. If it's in good working condition, how much do you think is a fair price?

Link to bike
I love my 98 but thats too much for one. I passed just recently on a 99 with only 3200 miles for 4,000.00 ( I decided to keep mine )

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
you kiddin me! $4950 for an almost 10 year old aero. No way

especially in the middle of winter. worth about $3000- $3500 if its nice. :)

droy

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Depends on what part of the country your in. Some places thats considered high, others low, still others bout right.

How many are for sale where you live? Few, then thats not a bad deal, lots, then it's too much.

Are you willing to buy one over ebay and wait months to find just the right deal? If so you can get one in the 3k to 3.5k range.

Want to ride right away, then go for it, start by offering them 4, meet them in the middle.

The price for any used bike, no matter how old or it's condition is based on local supply and demand and how badly the seller wants to get rid of it.

Thats more than I was willing to pay, but I was in no hurry at all. I shopped around and got one on ebay for only 3, show room condition, lots of add on's.

Only you can decide if thats too much or not.

8)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
rickbb said:
Depends on what part of the country your in. Some places thats considered high, others low, still others bout right.

How many are for sale where you live? Few, then thats not a bad deal, lots, then it's too much.

Are you willing to buy one over ebay and wait months to find just the right deal? If so you can get one in the 3k to 3.5k range.

Want to ride right away, then go for it, start by offering them 4, meet them in the middle.

The price for any used bike, no matter how old or it's condition is based on local supply and demand and how badly the seller wants to get rid of it.

Thats more than I was willing to pay, but I was in no hurry at all. I shopped around and got one on ebay for only 3, show room condition, lots of add on's.

Only you can decide if thats too much or not.

8)
I was about to say offer them 4000.00 firm and no more. This should include TTL AND make ready. If they balk then you walk.

It's the winter, they'll bite. :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Areo Sales

Hey AverageJoe -Fred from All- Areo has been tracking Areo sales and prices on Ebay for the past few years.
He has sent me the sheet .
I would post it if I knew how..............

Drop me a line if you want me to email it to you.

It is very informative,

doggie

·
Registered
658 Posts
rickbb said:
I was thinking the same thing.

FWIW - kbb.com sez the avg suggested retail value for that bike is $4820. So the asking price really isn't as outrageous as some of you are making it out to be. kbb.com in my experience, has been pretty accurate on most bikes and cars I've ever looked at or sold - much better than NADA IMHO.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Aeromark99 said:
[ kbb.com in my experience, has been pretty accurate on most bikes and cars I've ever looked at or sold - much better than NADA IMHO.
my experience has been just the opposite.......... Kelley BB is way off in left field ..... NADA is the used car/motorcycle bible!

It is always pretty close to the prices bikes go for on EBAY and CRAIGS LIST from what i have seen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses everyone. There's no way I'd pay $5k for an aero, I was just seeing what everyone thought. My max would likely be $4k, but I'm a very minimalistic person so I'm hoping in the next 6-8 months I can find a stock aero for about that or less.

I guess I'll have to stick with my ace for now (which is probably a good thing since I just bought it 3 months ago :lol: )

·
Registered
658 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. There's no way I'd pay $5k for an aero, I was just seeing what everyone thought. My max would likely be $4k, but I'm a very minimalistic person so I'm hoping in the next 6-8 months I can find a stock aero for about that or less.

I guess I'll have to stick with my ace for now (which is probably a good thing since I just bought it 3 months ago :lol: )
You will. But out of curiosity, why go for an Aero over an ACE? They're about as close to twins as you you can get in the Honda lineup.

An aside - funny how differing 'books' work differently in different parts of the country. The standard joke with the NADA book here in NE OH is take off a thousand bucks from its value on any car/truck/motorcycle and you might be close to a real number......

The REAL book - if you can get your hands on it - is your local 'BLACK' book. It's the one that local dealers use to track actual auction prices between themeselves. It's not readily available to the public, but it gives you a DEADLY accurate value of what wholesale is - which is really the only number tha means anything. If you know what wholesale is, you know what your competition - i.e. the dealers - have 'in' their merchandise and can intelligently track actual selling values from there. I spent 5 years in the auto sales business. There IS no other book than the Black book as far as dealers go. IF you know that value - you know what your bike/car/truck is really worth.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Aeromark99 said:
...But out of curiosity, why go for an Aero over an ACE? They're about as close to twins as you you can get in the Honda lineup.....
The 98-02 aero's are 1100cc, the 98-03 ACE's are 750cc. Other than that, you're right, they look very similar.

edit: I *think* I'm right about that... :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're right, they are very similar. That's probably the reason I went with the ace. There's a number of reasons I'd like an older aero. I'd like a larger bike (at 6'2" the 750 is a little cramped), I like the shaft drive and the sound of the single pin aero.

But the truth is back 9 years ago when I saw an aero I told myself I'd buy that bike. Granted, I was 15 at the time, but I don't think there's any other bike that has that look to it. The ace gets close, but it's missing the long, streamlined look of the aero. And now that I have the means to procure one, I figure I might as well get looking before another financial responsibility falls in my lap.

Well, that and my mom wants to buy my ace off of me for what I paid. So I figure it's a win-win :wink:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I always spend some significant time on Craigslist to get a general idea of fair market values, even if I don't buy from there (I usually do). It varies by region, of course, but there's one on the Sacramento CL right now: 04 Aero, 5200 miles, $4800 OBO.

·
Registered
658 Posts
AverageJoe said:
I'd like a larger bike (at 6'2" the 750 is a little cramped), I like the shaft drive and the sound of the single pin aero.
Sorry Joe - for some reason I thought you had an older, 1100 ACE. :shock:

And I can attest - the single pin 1100 engine sounds awesome. I prefered mine slightly louder than stock and with a little deeper rumble. A Roadhouse slip-on muffler with baffle 'in' but sound-deadening material 'out' gave me a mile-long smile everytime I took that my Aero out. :mrgreen:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts