Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a top end job on my 83 750, and everything seems to be in decent condition. I'm taking it apart because it wasn't running- I had low compression, and I could see leakage at the base, mid, and exhaust gaskets.

The manual says that any time the gasket is replaced the tappets need to be readjusted. I don't have a dial indicator to make this adjustment properly, is this necessary?

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
750 Posts
Upper case for emphasis and I am not shouting. YES ABSOLUTELY READJUST YOUR TAPPETS. Take a look at my signature. Triumph. Your new gaskets are definitely NOT the same thickness as the old gaskets and therefore the tappets require adjustment. And as with my old Triumph, the heads will need retorquing after probably 1000 miles. At that point you will adjust the tappets again.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
.......The manual says that any time the gasket is replaced the tappets need to be readjusted. I don't have a dial indicator to make this adjustment properly, is this necessary?
I know nothing about your motor but adjustments are made using either shims or a feeler gauge. Get a copy of the factory manual, neither Haynes nor Clymers. Factory in order to learn the correct procedure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha! I have the factory manual, any tricks to making this adjustment without the dial indicator?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm rebuilding an "85 VT700 and I have to use feeler gauge as well. I will just take the top off and put the feeler between the lifter and my tappet and adjust from there. It will entail a lot of taking the lifter on an off, but I don't have an adjustment dial so it is what it is.
I was given that the gauge for the intake on a 700 is .010 and for the exhaust .014. Not sure what it would be on a 750.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Gotcha! I have the factory manual, any tricks to making this adjustment without the dial indicator?
Based on my experience you shouldn't need a dial indicator for adjusting the tappets; just a feeler gauge. Just ask any old guy to show you. 8)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,844 Posts
Those engines have hydraulic lifters.
If you didn't dissassemble the heads, and just changed gaskets, little would change as far as the clearances of the lifters and cams and valves. The hydraulics can compensate a few thousanths.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,557 Posts
Now that I've seen the parts fiche, I can't tell you exactly what the procedure is for your model w/o referencing to the OEM manual. Your adjustment does not lend itself to the typical feeler gage setup. Appears to be self adjusting like the VT1100's of all years.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
That procedure appears to be a pita.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,557 Posts
Be sure to keep dial indicator inline with measuring point as pictured. Definitely need a piece of 12 ga. minimum steel for the magnetic stand fixture.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those engines have hydraulic lifters.
If you didn't dissassemble the heads, and just changed gaskets, little would change as far as the clearances of the lifters and cams and valves. The hydraulics can compensate a few thousanths.
This. If you kept the shims and tappets together and put them back in the same locations, they'll adjust appropriately when you put it back together, just bleed them per the manual. I completely disassembled my '83 and put everything back in the same hole it came out of. Once oil pressure came up, everything was good.

Throw all that out the window if you're replacing tappets or didn't keep track of where the shims went.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts