1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
365 Posts
I saw that video earlier today. I don't think lane splitting is legal in Texas, not sure. But I'm patient in traffic. I've got enough problems dealing with other drivers without making it much worse with lane splitting.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
they were going too fast while splitting.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thats not splitting, thats white lining a huge difference. And stupid, especially at those speeds.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
At tops 10mph faster than the traffic for me and only when the traffic is going slow, so you have time to react as people do change lanes...

Its a grey area over here legally and I hardly ever travel motorways but have split when you get well down in speed :)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Looks and sounds dangerous to me, unless you are extremely careful and lucky

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, that's a bit to extreme for me. I would like to lane split, but as I mentioned in a previous post, only while stopped at a light. Going through traffic...scary.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Looks and sounds dangerous to me, unless you are extremely careful and lucky
lane splitting, like most any other time you're on the road is as safe as YOU make it. I'd do it, if lane splitting were legal here in Missouri. From what I understand from many Californians is that its quite safe, and actually safer than sitting in the back of the stopped traffic where you stand the chance of getting rear-ended. Also the CHP suggests that it only be done at speeds up to 30 or something like that, and bikes should only go like 10mph over what traffic is due to cars making lane changes. and Most guys that do it in CA say cars actually make a conscious effort to make room for bikes to pass by. Which might be a problem for a few years if implemented in other sates. I often get lane splitting chances and just dont do it because the legality. it would save me 10-15min if not more at times, not to mention slightly lessen traffic because the bikes are moving out of the way/ jam. eveybody wins IMO.

even just pulling up to the front of the line on red lights could save me 5min every day.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I saw that video earlier today. I don't think lane splitting is legal in Texas, not sure. But I'm patient in traffic. I've got enough problems dealing with other drivers without making it much worse with lane splitting.
No. Lane splitting and filtering are illegal in Texas.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
CHIPs or Calif. Dept. of Trans. just released a study showing that it is actually pretty safe if you follow certain guidelines. I just saw it but can't remember where...:roll:

Too fast, and he veered right along with the car? What's up with that?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looks like one of those that are born every minute = a fool.
I've come across riders that appear to be very intelligent, cautious persons that only prove me wrong when they are driving/riding. Something just becomes temporarily out of order at the wrong time. Life is simply that way, and surely you've witnessed this many times as well. I have yet to decipher this illogical reasoning or simply lack of common sense. This in turn often causes our governing body to restrict us by force due to the incurable stupidity of a few.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Going that fast-way too fast for traffic--is just another version of Russian roulette!

Cage drivers aren't aware of there surroundings and blindly change lanes. The probability of a crash is certain over time.

Stupid is as stupid does.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
That's not lane splitting?
How so?
Lane splitting is where the car and the bike occupying the same lane traveling side by side, those two werent in any lane. At least thats how i understand it and how its been every time ive seen an example of 'proper' lane splitting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looks like he was within the middle lane as he rearended that car, nothing to do with lane splitting, which he was pretty stupid about, given his speed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
^ I don't think it's only a "Blindly Change Lanes" situation. At times, you have this little object going so quickly that you don't even see it approach.
On average, you're suppose to look at your mirrors every 12 seconds or so. Well, at that speed, something so small can be missed between those 12 seconds so if you swerve the opposite direction of where the driver is looking, the rider is VERY easily missed and bam! Accident. So, the cagger can be on the look out for riders as much as he wants, but if the rider is so quick...so much easier to miss.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does. Lane splitting like that puts the motorcycle in an even more invisible and unexpected position increasing the risk of not being seen by cars. The driver who changed lanes was not expecting anyone to be overtaking him at 2 or 3 times the speed of the other traffic. It's just too risky to do stuff like this. I want to live to an even riper old age, and doing stupid stuff like that isn't on my agenda.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Let's face it, riders are far outnumbered by drivers, so many of which are inattentive drivers. The only way I might feel pretty safe lane splitting would be closely riding behind a seventy-six trombone marching band in front of me. If some experts feel it is fairly safe, it may be their thought that more motorcycle crashes = less riders = less crashes being the end result (multiple reduction). Remember, opinions are something most everyone has... 'many' of which are like asshairs = totally useless and full of s*it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts