Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How suitable is the 750 for several day runs to cover 1,200 or more miles?

I'm also talking about genuine mountains, a 225 lb rider, and gear.
I'm also talking about doing the round trip annually, but using the bike for commuting about half the time too and wanting reasonable gas mileage vs a larger bike.

·
Registered
16,832 Posts
My 98 VT750 ACE took me to Sturgis and never complained at 80+ MPH for all day...4 days each direction + 4 days of 500 miles a day while in the area...
I was loaded with gear too...
It`ll serve you well... ;)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I rode 2000 miles on my Sprit in 5 days this past summer. It did just great. I routinely get 55 mpg. Doesn't seem to be affected by how I ride. Altitude will reduce that though.
Go for it!

·
Registered
16,832 Posts
5,400 miles round trip on the Sturgis Run...
This past July our 1,700 miles Deals Gap Run over 4 rainy days...

50MPG on these runs was commonplace...

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your long ride(s).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
if the bike fits you the 750 is a great bike, loved mine, but I'm to big for it and got uncomfortable on it on longer rides, I'm 6'1 235 ,never really felt underpowered on it, but after switching to my Sabre 1100, I don't think I would go back to the 750.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Twenty, thirty years ago i would have (and did) ride a scooter the size of the 750 Shadow all over creation for days on end. i wouldn't do it today on a lost bet. There are far too many motorcycles out there that are better suited to long distance touring.

I gotten rather fond of my Venture for long hauls. The comfort of a real long distance dedicated sled can not be beat. While you can certainly do it on a lesser bike...why?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
My 750 is a great bike around town and on country roads But If I was going to do a lot of highway riding I would rather have an 1100. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I wouldn't go smaller than an 1100 if you plan on doing a lot of long distance riding. The extra power will help when you have to pass someone and going up a hill. Also you might want to look at the fuel tank size. My shadow only had a 4 gal tank. I'm used to bikes (GoldWings) with a 6 + gal tank. When you get into some great back roads you can go 200 + miles without a gas station.
Also I would not get a bike with a chain but a drive shaft, but thats only my opinion.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Also I would not get a bike with a chain but a drive shaft, but thats only my opinion.
Very good advice. A shaft drive removes the possibility of a lot of headaches.

A 750 is enough for cross country, but just barely. I rode cross country with my old man summer of '12, me on my VTX1800, he on my Spirit 750. I swapped the rear sprocket for a smaller one before we went on the trip so it would be able to cruise more comfortably at a higher speed, and that helped tremendously. It handled 6,000 miles and Pike's Peak just fine, but mileage suffered for the 750 once we went over ~70mph cruising speed.

In short, if a 750 is what you have, a 750 would do it with no problem, but it's always nice to have more bike on a long trip like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts