Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Service Manual we find a possible cause for running rich is that the fuel enrichment valve is not closing. Solution: adjust this valve.

But I can't find anywhere in Part 5 of the manual how to adjust the fuel enrichment valve. Any help would be welcome. (On the post '98s the "choke" is a knob and cable opening the valve in the carb.)

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
Just looked at the donwloadable manual, and I am seeing the info on the Choke on pages 3-6 and 3-7. I believe 3-7 is where it actually talks about the SE (Starting Enrichment) valve.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
The fuel enrichment knob is viewed from the right side(as you are sitting on the bike), lay on the ground next to the bike, look up into the space in front of the air filter cover, and behind it, it is a "D" shaped knob. A empty .22 cartridge shaped to a "D" will turn this, and is cheaper than the honda tool, I put my .22 shell on a flexable drill shaft and hand turn the knob

mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looked at the donwloadable manual, and I am seeing the info on the Choke on pages 3-6 and 3-7. I believe 3-7 is where it actually talks about the SE (Starting Enrichment) valve.
Yes. That's is where the SE info is. My conclusion is that there is no adjustment for the position of the valve. There seems to be a spring which ensures it gets closed.

The adjustment descibed on p 3-7 tells us how to change the friction of the choke operation. I note a few posters writing that their choke is stiff. The manual says to turn the knurled wheel which is directly behind the choke knob. You have to first peel back a rubber cover.

Thanks to Endy for a useful response.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel enrichment knob is viewed from the right side(as you are sitting on the bike), lay on the ground next to the bike, look up into the space in front of the air filter cover, and behind it, it is a "D" shaped knob. A empty .22 cartridge shaped to a "D" will turn this, and is cheaper than the honda tool, I put my .22 shell on a flexable drill shaft and hand turn the knob

mark
Useful tip from Old Dad.

I did note that the factory plug over the pilot screw had been removed so assume the previous owner has changed the setting.

I surreptitiously created a .22 casing (from a live shell) today and gave this a try. So far no luck in gripping and turning the screw but will try again when the fuel tank is empty so that I can take the air cleaner off to give me better access.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts