Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen lots of advice and tips about how to go about examining a used bike and how to get the best deal...
(Checking compression, brakes, scratches, leaks, tread depth, etc...)

But what if the bike is brand new from a dealer?

You know the bike is perfect and unabused, there are zero miles on the clock.

I've never bought a new car or bike from a dealer, and I don't think I would know how to do it right (i.e.- not get screwed.)

My strategy of holding a fistful of down-payment dollars in one hand while drooling and pointing at something shiny with the other doesn't sound like it would get me the lowest price.

So, those of you that have bought/financed a new bike from a dealership, what did you do before you got there to prepare for a successful purchase and/or what did you do during the process?

There is a wee chance I may buy new this year, and I need some pointers.

Oh, and I wouldn't be making a trade, gonna keep the '84 as a backup/wife's-bike.

Thanks!
-Kris

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm no help,I paid cash for a used 1 and left with a new 1 to :oops: I'm happy though 8)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Always ask what the 'out the door' price is. Seems there are always little cost add ons that they forgot to mention. :roll:

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Read Dragoon's post (excellent BTW!!!) and the extra info others added.
NEVER tell them how much $$ you are willing to spend or put down.
Read Dragoon's post.........

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: How to buy a NEW bike?

Kframe said:
I've never bought a new car or bike from a dealer, and I don't think I would know how to do it right (i.e.- not get screwed.)

My strategy of holding a fistful of down-payment dollars in one hand while drooling and pointing at something shiny with the other doesn't sound like it would get me the lowest price.
LOL! That sounds like the way I'd do it too!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dragoon, thanks for the link, and for taking the time to write that up!
I'll have to study it when I'm not at work and have a bit more time.

-K

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, my new bike purchase was a no-brainer. I am fortunate enough to be within driving distance of Southernhonda.com

You may not want to make that drive, but it is worth your time to visit their website and see how a dealer should sell bikes.

Anyone in the SouthEast would be a fool not to shop there. IMO.

I saved $1,200 on my '06 Aero over any of the "local" dealerships.

·
Registered
188 Posts
New bike

I always go to at least 3 dealer, ask for the same bike with same options and ask for out the door price and finance with no cash down.

I also talk to few sales man and try to find out the dealers cost.

Then i tell the dealer i got a good price from an other dealer so what is he willing to do about it.

I got 3 new bikes so far at about 100$ above cost (first one was 27$ below cost, reel and deal at the bike show, put the dealers against each other).

Even if dealer get you cost price they make money on the manufacturer's return, and also on the accessories you will get now or later and the maintenance cost. Find a dealer that thinks long term with his clients. Got my 3 bikes at same dealer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've also found not to get in a big hurry to buy. Ask for their best deal and leave your contact information with them. Leave and wait for them to call you. They will ask "What can we do to make this sale?" Keep your offer low. Have them throw in helmets, windshield, or other accessories.

You won't get as good a deal on an 07 as you would an 06.

Do as others have said and try to find out the dealers cost and go from there.

Good luck.

Dick

·
Registered
76 Posts
Step 1) Bend over and grab your ankles.

Step 2) Take a deep breath.

:eek:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
You can get a good idea of the lower limit a dealer will accept by going to Cycletrader.com and doing a nationwide search for the model you want. There are usually more than a few high-volume dealers who list there, and they advertise a price very close to the minimum that it is possible to get because they are more interested in volume sales than one-at-a-time profit margin. Your local dealer probably won't be able to match that number, of course, but that's probably where you should start. I did that when buying my ATV, and surprisingly got a price WAY below MSRP. Like Dragoon says, you can make an offer and they can take it or leave it. NEVER allow them to start the pricing negotiations -- ALWAYS start with your number. That way you have control of the negotiation because you have the option to go up, while you can't control their willingness to go down. And walk out if you don't get your way. They won't refuse your business if you come back another day.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
All excellent points. When I was in the business and still now, they have a saying that sales reps live by “control, you use it, or loose it” this is very important to remember the buyer because if the sales rep looses it, he will try to regain it and you , if you remember this, will easily note the maneuvers he does to take control again. Just remember, the common factor here is simply money, you have it, he wants it, in fact, he needs it. Also, if done right, this should be one of the most enjoyable experiences of your life as it represent the second largest investment normally one makes ( I am referring to cars, but as for toys, I think bikes rank up there to) and you should walk away feeling great, not drained or cheated (or broke) :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
I cant complain.....people say the dealer I bought from is bad, so I dont go there for service, plus too far away.

But I did it by internet, I was actually looking at a kawi 1500. sent out feelers, when they e-mailed back, I let them know I was gonna wait a little longer.

one salesman called me last december ( 2006), said he had a spirit 1100 (2005), and since I didnt like the colors of bikes he had offerd before, would I consider a black and chrome. It was just under $5800 out the door, but then I bought the extended warranty for another $800.

when I got to the dealership, I sat on the bike, checked it out, signed the paperwork, and left 40 minutes later

these guys were 90 minutes from my house........

so if I may add, use the net to look at dealers ou normally wouldn't travel too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts