Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still lousy weather up here in Seattle for another week probably, but I am wondering if when you are in a lock down, stay at home, except for necessary trips situation, what you could say to anyone who asks. A friend of mine said California is getting very strict. Hardly any cars on the roads.

"Well I needed to get some sunshine because I was going stir crazy and might flip out stuck at home".
"Sunshine and vitamin D is good for my health".
"I needed to go to the liquor store to get some medicine for my cabin fever".
"I am saving gas with my motorcycle while buying necessities".
" I needed beer since we have so many slugs in the garden".
"I have had to drive 10 miles looking for toilet paper".
Or, " 20 miles looking for sanitizer".
" I need alcohol to make my own sanitizer". (Everclear 190 proof)
" This trip is totally necessary for my condition".
" My wife told me to".

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
479 Posts
I’m in the Spokane area, last week someone with a face mask on rolled down their car window at light to tell me it was more dangerous to be outside in the airflow than inside a car. Told em “yeah, motorcycles have been more dangerous than cars for decades, hasn’t stopped me yet.” Laughed and drove off shaking my head.

I ride my motorcycle everywhere now because my complex has limited overflow parking and I like to keep my beater bad weather car in overflow parking so the motorcycle and wife’s car can get the garage. With everyone home from work the overflow parking hasn’t budged in a week so if you want to keep a space then you better not move it, so my solution is ride everywhere and the car sits.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Still lousy weather up here in Seattle for another week probably, but I am wondering if when you are in a lock down, stay at home, except for necessary trips situation, what you could say to anyone who asks. A friend of mine said California is getting very strict. Hardly any cars on the roads.

"Well I needed to get some sunshine because I was going stir crazy and might flip out stuck at home".
"Sunshine and vitamin D is good for my health".
"I needed to go to the liquor store to get some medicine for my cabin fever".
"I am saving gas with my motorcycle while buying necessities".
" I needed beer since we have so many slugs in the garden".
"I have had to drive 10 miles looking for toilet paper".
Or, " 20 miles looking for sanitizer".
" I need alcohol to make my own sanitizer". (Everclear 190 proof)
" This trip is totally necessary for my condition".
" My wife told me to".
probably only someone who has lived in western Washington understands that one. I remember coming home one time and seeing my wife pouring my PBR's into little cups and taking outside. I was "WTF?????"

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,104 Posts
probably only someone who has lived in western Washington understands that one. I remember coming home one time and seeing my wife pouring my PBR's into little cups and taking outside. I was "WTF?????"
A neighbor told me about that before but here in Texas she said it didn't seem to work. She commented that she thought the slugs were just having a party at her expense.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
236 Posts
They can't stop you for just being out. You could be an essential worker like a grocery clerk, bus driver etc. If you commit a traffic violation they can stop you and ask you what you're doing out but any of the above "excuses" are valid. Civil liberties have not totally disappeared.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
It's alright to make trips to the grocery store, fill up gas, etc. But at any store I just shop & go. Don't like to mingle with crowds any longer than necessary. And the less trips per week to any place with crowds, the better. Or safer.

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
950 Posts
Problem is some areas are stopping anyone out for not other reason that being out.
That is not a legal stop for sure. My county is not that strict, but some counties in Texas specifically state no motorcycles in their orders. But do have allocations for outdoor activities so long as you are able to maintain social isolation.
I am riding my bike how I always do, and until they come out and call it martial law I will not treat it as such myself.
If I get pulled over just for riding, it will be on video, and will be going to court over it for a illegal stop.
I for one do not like how many have just laid over as rights are being taken away.

·
Registered
615 Posts
In FIPlandia I quote " The order is meant to target non-essential activities, such as socializing in bars or other gatherings.
So if anyone hassles me, there's nothing in the order that says that I can not ride my motorcycle to try and find food, I have a specific diet I have to follow, and with all the $#!thead hoarders filling their garages to the rafters, it's slim pickings for me, and with no work for now I'm not making money and my bike is better on gas. So PBPBPBPBSSST✌

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
In my zip code, the cops have given notice that they won't respond in person to calls unless it's something serious. I guess they just gonna play bridge all night, but I don' blame them. Seems stupid if they make unnecessary traffic stops only to have you hand them your registration and license and risk getting virus. Perhaps, they haven't think-ed about it yet. And disrespecting civil rights have lead to serious repercussions nowadays.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
Lets think this through. My GF was in China in January. When she flew back to Canada no temperature but shortly after we were both diagnosed as COV positive (due to fever). So self-quarantined with health professional phoning every day. This "flu" was not that bad ie never bedridden no diarrhea but cough and headache. So what. We get a cold almost every year and she used to get flu until she started getting vaccine. This was not as bad as seasonal flu.

We are both 65 and reasonably active but not particularly health fanatics. She has asthma. So after about 3 weeks in Feb she got better and after about 4 weeks was diagnosed negative. Took me a bit longer.

So by the beginning of March we were both OK. I wondered about recurrence but like all viruses, your body develops the cure and recurrence is unlikely. But next the shutdowns started. Why? Lets say everyone gets Cov and spends a few weeks home. No big deal. Unfortunately, a small percentage of people are affected severely by the virus. I am sure I am politically incorrect but why shut down the world economy and put millions of people out of work and cause a depression based on some (unavoidable?) deaths. I am completely open to examination of these statements and just trying to understand why Swifty has lost his freedom. Does no one remember the wars when millions died just to defend the concept of freedom?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm thinking about going down to Savannah to ride around downtown just because it would be fun minus the traffic. Savannah is on lock down, home arrest whatever you call it. My excuse would simply be, "See the tag, I'm from SC didn't know about all this going on. " LOL. "Sorry officer I'll go back over the bridge."

Let you know if something happens.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
479 Posts
I'm thinking about going down to Savannah to ride around downtown just because it would be fun minus the traffic. Savannah is on lock down, home arrest whatever you call it. My excuse would simply be, "See the tag, I'm from SC didn't know about all this going on. " LOL. "Sorry officer I'll go back over the bridge."

Let you know if something happens.
If it’s anything like driving from WA to ID, should be fine. As an out-of-state tag you get some leeway to start with at least where I live, up to you how far to bend it hehe. Idaho doesn’t even have helmet laws so I figure they won’t bat an eye at two wheels on the road.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
236 Posts
Lets think this through. My GF was in China in January. When she flew back to Canada no temperature but shortly after we were both diagnosed as COV positive (due to fever). So self-quarantined with health professional phoning every day. This "flu" was not that bad ie never bedridden no diarrhea but cough and headache. So what. We get a cold almost every year and she used to get flu until she started getting vaccine. This was not as bad as seasonal flu.

We are both 65 and reasonably active but not particularly health fanatics. She has asthma. So after about 3 weeks in Feb she got better and after about 4 weeks was diagnosed negative. Took me a bit longer.

So by the beginning of March we were both OK. I wondered about recurrence but like all viruses, your body develops the cure and recurrence is unlikely. But next the shutdowns started. Why? Lets say everyone gets Cov and spends a few weeks home. No big deal. Unfortunately, a small percentage of people are affected severely by the virus. I am sure I am politically incorrect but why shut down the world economy and put millions of people out of work and cause a depression based on some (unavoidable?) deaths. I am completely open to examination of these statements and just trying to understand why Swifty has lost his freedom. Does no one remember the wars when millions died just to defend the concept of freedom?
Just when I thought that I heard every ignorant statement here's the topper.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Empty streets are awesome to ride through. Don't miss out on it.

Still, I personally wouldn't get carried away with riding under the current environment. It's just the idea.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,104 Posts
The only thing stopping me from riding my bike is the fact that it wont stop snowing. Coldest March I can remember in my entire life.
We have been hitting close to record highs in the 90s f last week. A cold front came back in now we are in the 60s again. I think for us this has been one of the hottest Marches. I am riding though. I needed an essential master link for another bike so I went to local MC shops to buy it. Nobody had them in stock so I had to order anyway. I could strap a small 1 gallon can on the bike and just explain I was going to get gas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.