Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to take a look at the front wheel on my 2002 VT600 and I can't find a place to put the jack to get the front off the ground. To work on the rear tire I have to use a points at the extreme rear of the frame, but up front I have had no luck.
any pointers?

·
Registered
2007 Shadow Spirit C2
4 Posts
Not that I would necessarily recommend it, but when I first got my Shadow Spirit and needed to work on the front end to replace fork seals, I used an ordinary two-ton floor jack with a 12-inch-square piece of 3/4-inch plywood across the frame tubes to keep from punching a hole in the crankcase. I jacked it up just enough to get everything apart, it didn't seem very stable but it was better than I anticipated (minor heart attack when son bumped into the rear end). Not sure if your 600 is as flat as my Shadow is on the bottom, if there's any non-squashable parts sticking out past the frame tubes this won't work for you.

Since then I've purchased a screw jack just like the red one pictured in "gonerydin's" photo. Forty bucks or so from Amazon. Would be nice to have the whole lift like he has, but the wife is kinda partial to being able to park her car in the garage.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,938 Posts
I used a engine hoist with a strap/straps lifting at the triple tree for 12 years until a 2 mos. ago I used the HF bike jack which I'm still not really still sold on it. A work still in progress. Note, I use jack stands under the engine guards/crash bars when up in the air and be sure you are 1 st. gear while doing the front end. Loosen axle/lower fork associated bolts while on the ground. Caliper and fender hardware should also be removed before lifting. Zip tie the caliper to the frame while servicing.

The jack that gonerydin is using would be my choice if I had it to do over but nobody wants buy the HF jack but it came in handy repairing the GMC rotted fuel pump by using it under the gas tank.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
I have a crashbar to lift when I need a jack...
BUT >
I`ll lean the bike over on the kickstand, as far as balance will allow and block it with the front tire off the floor, to remove the wheel...
Some lift the bike by the handlebars with a comealong hooked to the rafter overhead....
IF I gotta, I figure out a way,
Dennis

Nice weather here today

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,963 Posts
I use my HF lift a lot! Works for Lady blue's VLX and my 1100 spirit. You gotta use small wood blocks to lift on frame evenly. The right side frame hangs lower than the left side. I can stand the VLX straight up so the right side rests on the lift then put blocks under the left side. It's really easy once you figure it out. I just added a belly pan to my wing so I can use the HF lift for it too!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Or this

A 4' piece of pipe
A pipe flange
A 3' piece of 2x8 or 2x10 or 2x12
:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is how I do mine.

I have also placed a block under the deployed kickstand and lifted the opposite side with a floor jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok - i have jack just like that - i was struggling with the frame touch points b/c of that dang coolant hose but I see that you have a black thing attached to the jack...what is that and where can I get one?

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
179 Posts
For the D's Spirit (VT1100C) I pretty much follow the small block system described in blue flames's post. If I get the time today, I'll get a photo of the system.

For Hildr the Valkyrie I do this...
Honda Valkyrie Lift Adaptor

🔧

·
Registered
541 Posts
Zeny 1100lb Motercycle jack with adjustable saddle liftpoints - Works well...

Always available amazon & walmart...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zeny-110...e-Dirt-Bike-Scooter-Crank-Stand-New/736616292
https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Scooter/dp/B01860HLCU
Walmart's best price at $54 & free shipping to your door

Have had one for 5 yrs - works great, handy, easy, lifts either end or both (lift backend first, place block & padding board under swingarm frame area - then lower jack, slide jack forward & lift front end, no prob! - that was the my first use for the lift to remove both wheels and take em in to get new(both) tires mounted )
Also handy to change blades on lawn tractor!
Good Bang for the Buck!

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
actually I have the Black one ( a BlackWidow) - and I over paid for it!

They come in a lotta colors, red,yellow, black, white, and various names - the red Zeny's the best price, Amazon or Wally...
Make sure to get one with saddle adapters (they do also come as a flat plate top only)
They're Handy...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Bought my father one similar to Merrill’s, years back. Can’t use it on the Shadow for an engine out job, since you have to remove the right-side frame arm and it blocks access underneath. It also doesn’t work on his VStrom, since his engine hangs lower and exposed in the front...

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
179 Posts
Here's the Shadow up on the lift using the block system...

It's kinda a three point system with the frame resting on the blocks in the rear and the crank case resting on the forward lift rail.

This is the difference in the blocks which insures the bike stays level side to side on the lift...7/16in (~11.1mm)

The block on the right -- which is the left side block -- is a standard 2x4 and the other block is 1 and 1/16 inches (~2.7cm) thick. These block heights help the bike stay level front to back.

🔧

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not that I would necessarily recommend it, but when I first got my Shadow Spirit and needed to work on the front end to replace fork seals, I used an ordinary two-ton floor jack with a 12-inch-square piece of 3/4-inch plywood across the frame tubes to keep from punching a hole in the crankcase. I jacked it up just enough to get everything apart, it didn't seem very stable but it was better than I anticipated (minor heart attack when son bumped into the rear end). Not sure if your 600 is as flat as my Shadow is on the bottom, if there's any non-squashable parts sticking out past the frame tubes this won't work for you.

Since then I've purchased a screw jack just like the red one pictured in "gonerydin's" photo. Forty bucks or so from Amazon. Would be nice to have the whole lift like he has, but the wife is kinda partial to being able to park her car in the garage.
Harbor Freight has a decent table that has wheels😄to get out of her way... No body uses tie downs on those MM lift tricks?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Harbor Freight has a decent table that has wheels😄to get out of her way... No body uses tie downs on those MM lift tricks?
yep
Bought one even though I have a lift table.

$79 with coupon,

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here's the Shadow up on the lift using the block system...

View attachment 291198
It's kinda a three point system with the frame resting on the blocks in the rear and the crank case resting on the forward lift rail.

This is the difference in the blocks which insures the bike stays level side to side on the lift...7/16in (~11.1mm)

The block on the right -- which is the left side block -- is a standard 2x4 and the other block is 1 and 1/16 inches (~2.7cm) thick. These block heights help the bike stay level front to back.

🔧
Nice
If it were me, I'd take the riser off the lift jack and mount the blocks on a base board at the proper spacing to line up with the frame.
That way, you would not have to crawl around lining up the blocks with the the frame.

I built a similar thing to clear pipes running under the engine on a different bike, it actually had some shallow-self centering "V"s cut into the wood at the frame contact points.
Something you may consider.
jmo,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts