Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has decided that the passenger floorboards are too high and she either wants them lowered or more forward so she can stretch out a bit.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Here is a site that has some nice extensions that will lower the pegs by 3" or so. Do any of you know whether these extensions have the actual pegs attached to it like the picture shows or is that for the extension itself and then you buy the pegs seperately. I would really like to adapt the floorboards to the extension if possible.

http://www.waynesvillecycle.com/footpeg_extensions.htm

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here's what I did........

I bought a 1" diameter black steel rod (18" long) from our local metal fab shop and then had them to put two 90 degree bend on each end (6" from the end on each side). I cut the rod in half to have two L pieces. From there we shaved down the sides of where it mounted to the orginal pegs (the peg opening is 5/8" or so which helps enforce the peg holding) and drill the same diameter hole for the peg pins.

Speical note: when drilling the peg holes -- they are at an angle and require good measurements to get them aligned correctly or do as I learned -- a heating torch can correct any miss-doing.........

I then sanded, primer-ed and put about 4-5 coats of glossy black paint on them......powder coating or chroming were thoughts too but I now like the glossy black look......more chrome means more cleaning and less riding and I don't get much riding sometimes.........
I was looking for something that I could raise or lower the floorboards for different height folks........but since they have been mounted - they haven't been moved once.......but I still have the options if need be.......

Pics:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/hondaspirit/Honda Shadow Spirit 1100/Floorboards/

I probably have missed something but if you think of something or need more info let me know........

Another note.....the more forward the floorboards the more they will get in the way of the driver legs........

I since exchanged the stock pipes with Cobra tapered pipes which has given more room between the pipes and the floorboards.........and have went back to stock pipes and still have the clearance needed...

Good luck,
Mike
vwfarm

·
Registered
18 Posts
yep, it's a prob

Hi, msla. I noticed not too many folks jumped in with help to your Q. I'm technically a lurker, in that I don't now own a Shadow. But, hoping to get that situation fixed soon. Had a 98 Spirit 1100 and sold it. Dumb, dumb, dumb. My wife let me know everytime we went out what a crappy position the rear pegs were in, due to the exhaust placement, no doubt. So when I started thinking of getting another Shadow, I started looking around. Best product I've seen so far are the floorboards that Cobra sells. They are forward a few inches, and floorboards would allow her to move her feet around, thus changing her position, vs pegs. The price at Cobra sucks, but they do fold up out of the way when not in use and have a nice chrome backing. The ones you show sure look interesting, too. And, the price is much better. We'll see. I'm not to that bridge yet. Surely, there are some others on this forum that have addressed this. Later, TW

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vwfarm said:
Here's what I did........

I bought a 1" diameter black steel rod (18" long) from our local metal fab shop and then had them to put two 90 degree bend on each end (6" from the end on each side). I cut the rod in half to have two L pieces. From there we shaved down the sides of where it mounted to the orginal pegs (the peg opening is 5/8" or so which helps enforce the peg holding) and drill the same diameter hole for the peg pins.

Speical note: when drilling the peg holes -- they are at an angle and require good measurements to get them aligned correctly or do as I learned -- a heating torch can correct any miss-doing.........

I then sanded, primer-ed and put about 4-5 coats of glossy black paint on them......powder coating or chroming were thoughts too but I now like the glossy black look......more chrome means more cleaning and less riding and I don't get much riding sometimes.........
I was looking for something that I could raise or lower the floorboards for different height folks........but since they have been mounted - they haven't been moved once.......but I still have the options if need be.......

Pics:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/hondaspirit/Honda Shadow Spirit 1100/Floorboards/

I probably have missed something but if you think of something or need more info let me know........

Another note.....the more forward the floorboards the more they will get in the way of the driver legs........

I since exchanged the stock pipes with Cobra tapered pipes which has given more room between the pipes and the floorboards.........and have went back to stock pipes and still have the clearance needed...

Good luck,
Mike
vwfarm

Hey Mike

I had forgotten that you posted this before. Thanks for the reminder. Now let me see if I can find the rod and get somebody to bend it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: yep, it's a prob

TomNWim said:
Hi, msla. I noticed not too many folks jumped in with help to your Q. I'm technically a lurker, in that I don't now own a Shadow. But, hoping to get that situation fixed soon. Had a 98 Spirit 1100 and sold it. Dumb, dumb, dumb. My wife let me know everytime we went out what a crappy position the rear pegs were in, due to the exhaust placement, no doubt. So when I started thinking of getting another Shadow, I started looking around. Best product I've seen so far are the floorboards that Cobra sells. They are forward a few inches, and floorboards would allow her to move her feet around, thus changing her position, vs pegs. The price at Cobra sucks, but they do fold up out of the way when not in use and have a nice chrome backing. The ones you show sure look interesting, too. And, the price is much better. We'll see. I'm not to that bridge yet. Surely, there are some others on this forum that have addressed this. Later, TW

Thanks for the response Tom. Yea the Cobras are nice but man are they expensive. I have a cheap set of floorboards for the passenger and have never really like them. Being a cheapskate as I am I may see if I can fix mine like Mike did. Looks great and is functional and CHEAP. HAHA

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I had my ACE I used the extensions you were looking at and they use the stock pegs. There has been some reports of them breaking if the passenger puts their weight on them when they get on the bike. I didn't have this problem and my wife liked them

billp

·
Registered
5,978 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the peg extensions on my Ace from Waynesville cycle. My wife likes them, but they are a little over a year old and the chrome
is pealing off in large chunks.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I had a pair of the waynesville on my bike with floorboards.

They were fine, no peeling of chrome after a coupl year, the floor boards were from cruiser customizing and could be rotated for proper placement (kind of splined). Forget the brand, but cost about 100 bucks. Big Custom or some brand like that.

Anyway I sold them to Saint, so you might want to PM him to see if he can get you a picture, or find the manufacturer name.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts