Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's really stuck in there. Thinking I might need something to eat it away, gasket cleaner?

Heating it up?

Anybody had this problem before?

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,481 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are refering too. Usually shaft seals are self contained in a metal ring and just pop out.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
You don't say what bike which creates a little confusion, but I believe your referring to the clutch pushrod seal on a hyd. clutch. Operating on an old memory, but does that seal remove from the outside or do you have to split the case? If you've got a manual in front of you it will tell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the responses - sorry, it's the oil seal on left crankcase for the gear selector shaft on a 95 1100 shadow. I am going to study the replacement a little harder tomorrow - I just had a thought that I might be peeling the plastic/rubber coating of a metal inner?

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to servicing bikes - so am trying desperately not to damage my bike.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
You should either put a bike in your signature or reference which bike you speak of when posting a question. It will go a long way to getting your problem solved without us chasing our tails.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Cheers for the responses - sorry, it's the oil seal on left crankcase for the gear selector shaft on a 95 1100 shadow. I am going to study the replacement a little harder tomorrow - I just had a thought that I might be peeling the plastic/rubber coating of a metal inner?

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to servicing bikes - so am trying desperately not to damage my bike.
The entire black portion of the seal area is the seal. if it's not bare aluminum, it's the seal.

Everytime I've done this, I've removed the LHS crankcase. It's much easier to work on on the bench without the shift rod through the center, than on the bike with the shift spindle through the seal. Also, if you remove the left crankcase cover, you can also replace the hydraullic clutch rod seal too (has to be replaced from the inside-side of the crankcase). if the shift rod one is deteriorating, the clutch rod is probably soon to go as well.

If you just need a quick fix, I've had success in situations like this just using a small screwdriver and a hammer to puncture the black part of the seal and pry it out. Remember that everything that is black is part of the seal, just make sure not to grind on the aluminum and you'll be just fine. To get the new one in, just use a deep socket and a mallet and it'll seat just fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Finally got it out - did help that I stopped picking at the seal covering! But it was still jammed in there - tried heatgun, wd40, vicegrips. Eventually tapped it with a screwdriver on the side to try turn it a bit, then it popped out.

So if anyone comes across this problem an it doesn't just pop out - just keep working at it I guess.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.