Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or two ago I traded my Harley for a VTX1300S. I had had an 1800R in the past and absolutely loved it, so I felt it was a good trade. Got it home and found that some of the bolts that hold on the seats had been completely or partially stripped. I got the passenger seat off with a little bit of trouble, then started on the two bolts that hold on the driver's seat. I got the right one off (Allen head) with not too much effort, but the left one would not come. The hole was completely stripped. Tried hammering in the size larger, but that didn't work. It's recessed into a bracket so I can't cut a slot in it. I tried JB Weld-ing a sacrificial Allen wrench to it but the JB broke when I tried to turn it. A buddy of mine suggested drilling out the head and then removing the bolt later when I took the whole bracket off. So here's where I'm at right now: Stripped Bolt - Imgur

And I can't take the seat off until this comes off, which means I can't hook it up to my battery tender, which is no good. How screwed am I?

·
Banned
821 Posts
drill a hole, then hammer a slightly larger flat head screwdriver into it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
821 Posts
next step would be to weld something onto it

·
Registered
92 Posts
If I can, I usually weld something to the seized bolt/nut. If it's something that has a nut on the other side, I either cut it off if there's room or drill the head off the shaft.

Looks like you can maybe tack the inside of a nut ontop of the head of the bolt. The heat could help break it loose and then toss a socket on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks like you could drill straight through it to use an extractor. Maybe you didn't drill it deep enough for the extractor you tried. Having broken a few extractors I would recommend the biggest possible! Also have you got the thing soaking in penetrating lube like Kantoil? Soak it from both sides. Maybe hacksaw or chisel the welded but off and use a regular but in ace of it. Last idea, how does the bracket attach at the other end? Okay, that's more than my two cents worth.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Why didn't you finish drilling out the bolt?
THIS^ With the nut holding it on, once you drill the bolt away from the head it will fall out the other side. No need to weld anything.....just finish the drilling.

·
Registered
16,832 Posts
John Boy just went through this same issue...
I reckon previous owners don`t know how to use tools????

I suggested to John Boy, he drill the allen socket deep enough to get the extractor in deep enough to grab ~ That worked for him...
He then went to the local Fastenal and bought a replacement bolt, to replace the "fixed up" one...

From your photo, you aughtta drill the head the rest of the way off, as suggested above....

Merry Christmas,
Dennis

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a lot of experience with this from rebuilding old Jeep CJs. Every other bolt breaks coming off those things. If can't get to the head to slot it, then forget welding and put the jb weld back in the drawer…

Go buy yourself a good set of extractors/easyouts. Get yourself a good set and they will work and last.

If you don't have the funds you can also drill the bolt out if your bits are better than the bolt. haha. Start small and go right down the center, then slowly increase in size until the bolt falls apart. -- just be careful of the threads, take your time, or you will need a tap afterwards.

and while your at it buy a can or two of PB Blaster. Its the best penetrating oil for your cash in my opinion.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dropkick has it nailed. Getting a nice hole thru the bolt is the hard part, especially if the bolt is hardened. But if it's just holding the seat on, probably not. Once you get a hole that almost gets into the theads, try the easy out. They work great. run your tap thru to clean up the threads and you are good to go. At the worst, you may have drill a larger hole and tap for new bolt size. Not the end of the world, but then you would need different wrenches to remove the seat.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,629 Posts
Drill to "pop" off the head then you should be able to remove threaded portion fairly easy. 1/64th over thread dia. should suffice for final drill. Be sure to start with a drill the same size as wrench size to establish a good centering hole. Apply anti-sieze to threads before reinstalling and don't over torque/tighten.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Dropkick has it nailed.
Agreed. I've done it a couple of time with success. With respect to welding something onto it, I thought that welding anything in contact with the frame could screw with the bike's electronics. Am I misinformed?

·
Registered
751 Posts
MikeB, I believe you are correct. I was taught to never weld on the bike when the electronics and battery are on it.

- could be the way I was taught, but "old guys" tend to be pretty smart. lol

·
Registered
16,832 Posts
I was hoping this bolt was outta there by now and the seat reinstalled???

Why are you removing the seat? Or are you just in the works on replacing stripped bolts???
Just curious ;)

Merry Christmas
Dennis

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FINALLY got it. The problem bolt connects to a sort of L-shaped bracket, which is in turn bolted right to the bottom of the driver seat. The nut that holds the seat and the bracket together is almost impossible to get to and my 10mm could only turn maybe 1/20th of a rotation so it took a LONG time to get it off, but I finally did and the seat came right off. And with the seat gone, the problem bolt had no stress and came out easily. Now keep in mind I tried JB Welding an Allen bit to it, tried using an extractor, tried drilling the head off, etc. Just a nightmare. Here's what I ended up with. imgur: the simple image sharer

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Wow. I remember this from awhile ago.

All's well that ends well for you in this case. I've removed many nuts/bolts that could only move 1/20 of a turn.....I can relate to your joy upon removal.

·
Registered
16,832 Posts
Sure is a whole lot to go through to hook up the battery tender, Huh???

I bet you put a "pigtail" on it while you`re at it...

Be sure to use antiseeze when reinstalling that problem child ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
success

I have two screws that are stripped on my turn signal mirrors.

So I began to research how to get them out. I thought the solution I found was in here but I can't seem to find it. I looked other places too. So who knows where I got it..........

I was so amazed it worked that I thought I would share.

First I tried rubber bands on the end of my allen wrench. Worked for one turn, then the allen wrench kept puncturing the dumb band so no success.

Then I drilled and drilled and drilled with a smaller than the screw drill bit until I was about half way down into the screw. (took a long time)

I, then, took a smaller screw and drilled it into the hole I had just drilled in the stripped screw.

Now, I simply put my drill with screw attachment in to the smaller screw, put the drill into reverse and:D:D:D:D:D:D I'll be derned if the thing didn't come right out with NO damage to the threads..................

WOOO HOOOOOO.........

one more to go................8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts