Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Honda Shadow ACE
Looking to replace my battery but I’m having Having Trouble taking off this rear fender bolt, any tips?

I appreciate all responses

7603E201-16F8-4A31-B1EB-5F8556FEE0C1.png

·
Registered
41 Posts
ouch, thats just wrong! I would give vice grips a try, clamp on tight and see if you can get it turning. Maybe hit it with something like PB Blaster a couple times the day (if you have the time) before you try.
I'm sure this goes without saying but I'd replace that one for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouch, thats just wrong! I would give vice grips a try, clamp on tight and see if you can get it turning. Maybe hit it with something like PB Blaster a couple times the day (if you have the time) before you try.
I'm sure this goes without saying but I'd replace that one for sure.
Haha, I know! I have all the right tools but the bolt itself is giving me trouble! I did try vice grips but the thing wouldn't budge! I will try PB blaster or some other penetrating oil. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The rust spot on the fender does indicate the bolt threads are seized. You probably tried it already, but occasionally tightening the bolt slightly is enough to un-seize the threads (in addition to the penetrate).

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
All are good suggestions...
You can always take the side grinder to it too IF All else Fails...
I run Solo anyways,
Dennis

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
PB blaster the underneath inside fender well/nut side and work it back and forth gently tightening/CW 1st. then loosen/CCW. Keep working back forth otherwise grinding the head off thus giving you more to clamp on with the seat out of the way would be the next option.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
A decent penetrant (not WD40) from the underside of the fender and on top, soak overnight would be my choice followed with another try with the vicegrips, I would use curved jaw vicegrips not the straight ones.
The nut is welded to the fender so you really don't want to break the bolt off flush or just have a nub of thread left to grab.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You have an impact wrench and an easy out? I would try that.

If not grind down two sides and use a big ass wrench, pipe wrench, whatever. I think you will end up drilling that guy out.

Sorry but good luck with that, that's not going to be easy to remove.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Or weld a good nut on there and try an impact tool.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
They might be a solution but my only concern that they only work CCW and could break in manner of greater destruction as the rust problem seems to be pretty extreme. I have set but I have yet to use them but on hand just in case. I usually have pretty luck w/o the use of EZ outs etc. Just using a lot patience is the best practice in bolt removal but I'm still prepared for other alternatives.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Buddy used mine to remove rounded, rusted steering column bolts from under hood of 1966 Ford F100 recently. They should have been REALLY tough to remove by now. He just used a ratchet and socket.

Edit: Also, I suggested an impact as the hammering should help break up the rust holding it.. Something like a cordless impact driver/drill with hammer option. Not a 1/2" drive air impact, that would break it for sure. If it breaks off anyway, drill through the center of the old bolt, small pilot hole at low speed, then proper size for tap needed and run a tap down through it. If you get it centered good, the tap should just clean out the original threads in the fender. Sometimes helps to use a Dremel with a small stone to flatten it 1st, easier to get it centered that way.

·
Registered
281 Posts
They might be a solution but my only concern that they only work CCW and could break in manner of greater destruction as the rust problem seems to be pretty extreme. I have set but I have yet to use them but on hand just in case. I usually have pretty luck w/o the use of EZ outs etc. Just using a lot patience is the best practice in bolt removal but I'm still prepared for other alternatives.
Well. If you round off a left-hand thread bolt, then you will be in trouble. Left-hand thread bolts are pretty rare these days.

Another option if you can find one is a Weil Adjustomatic wrench, a vast improvement on the pipe wrench, I have had a set for years. the 6" one is perfect for getting out rusted brake line nuts. Jaws grip on 3 sides instead of 2, pulling the handle just digs the teeth in more. There are several companies selling similar things now.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
I have ground new flats on bolts like that to smaller size. If you have the room for a grinder or even a file. Go down to the next smaller socket. 6 point socket only for the best results.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Farmer Dennis suggests ;) PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench or your choice of Penetrating oil, Spray liberally, tap head of bolt and the nut IF you can get to it, spray & tap again, and repeat as much as necessary...
I`ve busted loose MANY a implement nut & Bolts thisaway...
Patience is a vertue when dealing with this stuck stuff...
I have a cane mill, plow and many more things that were Rusted, but I got it aloose...

Good Luck
Dennis

It`s GREAT to be riding again!!

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I have ground new flats on bolts like that to smaller size. If you have the room for a grinder or even a file. Go down to the next smaller socket. 6 point socket only for the best results.
This bolt head is already 8mm stock. Gonna take a very skilled hand to make it into a 7mm/6mm but if there's a will there's a way. I have had them so rounded that a 12 or 6 point box end wrench/socket could be pressed/hammered on. In order a 9/32", 7mm, 1/4" would be candidates. I replaced all my seat mounting tab bolt with a standard SS M6 polished/buffed (10mm head), washer and a small piece of shaped rubber between the tab and fender. A touch of anti seize on the threads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I DID IT!!!!!!! Filed, sprayed PB blaster, gave it a couple of hard whacks on top and got below the fender sprayed PB and whacked it there as well, and it wouldn’t budge, but then I started to move the rear seat in a rocking side to side motion and then it started to break loose!!!

thanks everyone!!! still have to replace the battery before I ride, but happy riding!!! :D

8EE7AB25-0392-4F17-AA60-53C8CFE3ECAD.jpeg
CFD7A56A-1DD8-4D72-BB8A-E37C180F3604.jpeg
A1E990EF-04FF-4612-AB04-8D197C26629F.jpeg
A8C21266-BD3E-4E5B-99FE-E5140091C969.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
2001 Honda Shadow ACE
Looking to replace my battery but I’m having Having Trouble taking off this rear fender bolt, any tips?

View attachment 285545
2001 Honda Shadow ACE

View attachment 285545
Go underneath the fender and soak the threads emerging out the nut with WD-40 or blaster. Wire brush the area to remove rust from the bolt threads. Much easier if scooter is up on a jack with rear wheel removed. After soaking, using vice grips, start applying tightening torque first, then loosening torque, in small baby steps. Back and forth it a few times increasing loosening torque. That should do it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts