Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an obsession with making the front of my ACE more vintage, and longer / lower. I've already added fork covers and I previously dropped the headlight forward and dropped the original speedo into the gap, but it seems if $70 can make that speedo go away allowing for a fresh approach to my headlight / turnsignals / driving light bracket building then why not.

So here's the deal. There are basically 2 speedo calibrations: 2:1 and 60MPH @ 2240RPM and the general consensus is that 60MPH @ 2240RPM is right for metrics. In my case, I think it's running around 5% fast, which is absolutely fine and within the range of a standard speedo.

I bought this speedo - Chrome Mini 2.5 with dummy lights.

It has 4 lights:

- Neutral
- Oil
- High Beam
- Turn Signals

I have wired things so that:

NO KICKSTAND LIGHT
I don't have a kickstand indicator.. I really don't feel the need, especially when the engine is killed if the bike is put in gear with the kickstand down

SHARED OIL / TEMPERATURE WARNING
As the ACE has an over temperature warning, and that's a great feature, I've wired the OIL light to come on for oil OR temperature. Either way - the important thing is to stop the bike and work out what is going on.

SINGLE TURN SIGNAL ALERT WORKS FOR BOTH TURN SIGNALS
To make this work (which I didn't do first time) you need to add rectifying diodes which isn't something you should be afraid of. They are $1.50 from Radio Shack and as you can see from the photo below, no big deal.

Here are the steps:

1) Remove the standard speedo. That involves pulling the tank, removing the black plastic side covers and tracking the wire back to the protected white wiring harness case. Unhook the harness and the 2 bullet connectors and remove the entire thing from the bike.

2) Cut off the black connector about 3 inches and about 3 inches of wire. You don't need the 2 bullet wires. One is for kickstand and one seems to be another ground.

3) Match up the wiring and solder as follows:
(Note. Blinker wiring is WRONG in this pic. See next step)

Bike Black/Brownh to Speedo Yellow/Black
Bike Orange to Speedo Green
Bike Sky Blue to Speedo Green/Black
Bike Blue to Speedo Blue
Bike Blue/Red to Speedo Red
Bike Brown/White to Speedo Orange
Bike Green to all others (Speedo Yellow/Black, Blue/Black, Red/Black,Black)

3b) Add Rectifying Diodes for the turn signals.
I got 2 diodes from Radio Shack, part number 1N4004. It's a 1 Amp diode.

Bike LightGreen/Red through DIODE to Speedo Yellow
Bike Black/Brown through DIODE to Speedo Yellow

I did this after the fact, so here's a messy picture before heat shrink.

4) Heat Shrink everything (or insulation tape if you must!)

5) One way to keep it all tidy is a large heat shrink over the whole bundle.

6) Feed the wiring back through to the box. There's plenty of room.

7) Go ride.

I'm probably going to mount this very close to the left fork cover so that from the front it "blends" in with that chrome, or centrally but out of the line of sight, but for now, it's attached to the mounting point for a cable stay.

Now that I have the wiring worked out I'd say this is about a 2 to 3 hour job start to finish.

K

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Speedo is kind of useless mounted down that low. You would have to take your eyes off the road to even look at it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Speedo is kind of useless mounted down that low. You would have to take your eyes off the road to even look at it.

How is it any different than having the stock one mounted on a gas tank? Honda doesn't seem to have a problem with them being lower than the handle bars and risers. It's all in muscle memory I suppose. You eventually get used to looking at the same spot and knowing where its at.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
How is it any different than having the stock one mounted on a gas tank? Honda doesn't seem to have a problem with them being lower than the handle bars and risers. It's all in muscle memory I suppose. You eventually get used to looking at the same spot and knowing where its at.
I don't like tank mounted speedo's period. Anything that takes your eyes off the road is dangerous. My wives bike has a tank mounted speedo and I hate riding the damn thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts