Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my son's new (to him) 2001 Shadow Sabre. He pulled the back rest assembly off and the right side bolts were not fitting properly when we tried to reinstall them. It looks like the PO cross threaded the bolts when he reassembled the fender after painting.

My plan is to make a home made cleanout tap by grinding a couple of slots lengthwise in a grade 8 equivalent M8 bolt. I figure I can run this into the hole from the inside of the fender through the good threads and try to straighten or clean up the crossed threads on the outboard side.

To do this I will need to remove the fender. How tough is this to do without having to disassemble large amounts of the bike? It looks like three bolts on each side plus disconnect the rear lamp harness. Is there more to it?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Thats about it structurally, mark the brake/signal wires though if you dont have a wire diagram.

If your female end has been cross threaded than you will be almost cutting new threads, not just cleaning them out. I'd suggest getting a cheap ass tap/die set or going and buying a good quality single tap for your application.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I think I will try my home made solution first. If it does not work I will look out for a tap.

The bolts won't turn or even start in their holes by hand, I only got two or three turns before it seemed that something was amiss. I am hoping to avoid a total rethread

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
They can be tricky. Any time I have taken fender bolts out of a bike, it seems you have to wiggle the fender to get them to thread back in. Taking the fender off is not that big of a deal. I believe the 6 fender bolts, maybe the upper shock mounts. Can't quite remember as it's been a while. And of course the wire harness to the rear lighting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I appreciate the tips. Will have to find torque values for the M8 and M10 plus the upper shock mount bolts so I can button them back up when finished.

Probably work on this on Saturday morning. Too da** hot to do it today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts