Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 1988 Honda Shadow VLX with around 14K miles on it. Been ridding about 15 years all-in-all, most of that oversees when I was in the Navy. Got the bike to save on gas and get to and from work. So far, it’s been a great little bike.

Had to do a bit of work on it, but since I got it for cheap, I’m not complaining.

- Replaced the Speedo cable (it was broken at the wheel and had a hose clamp holding it in place – that might explain the low miles!)

- Replaced the Regulator/Rectifier with an aftermarket one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH012AA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-KIT-/360358573656?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e70b7658
Battery was dying every 2 or 3 days, so tested the electronics and found the rectifier was not putting out enough juice. Replaced it and viola! no more battery problems.

- Had the seat recovered with leather (the original is vinyl, and it was just a little frayed on the edges.

- Replaced the horn too, the stock was just a little meep-meep and I could barely hear it. New one is much louder.

- New spark plugs

- and finally, new K&N air filter

There is no rust anywhere on it, and just a little tarnish on the wheels – which I will take care of over the winter (probably have it re-chromed – or just change them out completely).

So far this forum has been great, been picking up some very useful tips!

Added a Pic (took a few minutes to figure out the embedding). It's in the parking garage, hence the terrible lighting and color. The pipes are clean chrome, just looks terrible in the pic.

This one is a little better:

Thanks!
Doc

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
welcome...i was goin to comment on the 14k miles on an 88 mod being a great find..up until i read speedo was broke..lol....hey,if ya got it cheap,it runs/rides you got a good bike. right? yea post some pics.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thought of that too

welcome...i was goin to comment on the 14k miles on an 88 mod being a great find..up until i read speedo was broke..lol
Well, to be fair, the spedo was working, but seeing the clamp made me wonder how long it was "down" before it was fixed. I took that 14K miles with a grain *HUGE* of salt :D!

Still, the bike looks great, aside from a little dull paint in places. No leak on the forks, radiator was not all bent and dinged - in fact it was very clean with little road "damage". had to toghten up a few things here and there, but for what I paid for it, it was a steal!

Doc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.