Honda Shadow Forums banner

Human perception and loud pipes

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Old Dad 
#1 ·
Got a VTX a while back and it came with Cobra aftermarket pipes. Kinda loud with a baffle that's similar to a glass-pack.
The wife's been whining about how much "better" it sounds compared to the Shadow.
Yesterday I removed the baffles from her factory mufflers. We rode to the supply house for a new set of plugs. Gonna have to run them a while and check the fuel mixture. She was grinning from ear to ear the whole time, revving it at stoplights. It brought out the little girl in her. I just hope I get the mixture right before it burns a valve.

#2 · (Edited)
It IS a perception thing...

I hear ya Beezer (pun intended).

When I got my Aero, it had a set of V&H longtubes on it with no baffles. When they fired it up, I thought "Oh no! I'm not going to be one of THOSE bikers!" Loud.

I put baffles in the pipes and it was much quieter, but with the baffles, it sounded like it was wheezing to me. I pulled the baffles back out and for about a week or so, I felt like I needed cut-off sleeves, patches on my back and a chain-driven wallet (on a SHAFT driven bike I might add). :lol:

After a while, the sound really started to grow on me, and now I turn my head to hear the pipes better as I scoot down a stretch of highway at 60mph. That constant growl from the pipes sounds good to me, not obnoxious, as I had initially thought that it would. Now, I also don't chomp the throttle at EVERY red-light as might be the habit of some riders. And I don't need to downshift into low at 50mph either. Although there are still times when I feel the need to "make sure the engine is still running".

I like the classic bikes (like this motorcycle was designed to emulate) and I drive it like it was designed. The design, the sound and the riding style all suit me to a "T", pipes and all.

I would REALLY like to own a Pan, Knuckle or even a Flathead-powered Harley or Indian, but I enjoy the reliability and relative comfort of the Aero.

#4 ·
^^ True that.. If you add a higher-flow air filter then you need to adjust fuel, not-so-much with exhaust mods..

Glad to hear that Your Wife is Enjoying her new scoot!

#5 ·
Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone needing to make any adjustments from cutting out the baffles on the pipes. I'm sure you could to fix the mixture, but it's not supposed to affect it enough to cause any problems.

Loving the cobras on the Sabre, makes a nice sound for my taste :)

#7 ·
Beezer, if the wife's bike isn't popping on deceleration you should be fine. If she's getting popping on the decel all you really need to do is slightly adjust the a/f screw. I drilled out the baffles and then drilled 3 holes in the next plate of each pipe. I barely adjusted the a/f screw. I might get one muffled pop in 1000 miles. I'm happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.