Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an 1984 Goldwing today (details and pics to follow) and on my first ride, right from the get go I found that the clutch did not release the transmission with it fully squeezed in.

It is impossible to come to a full stop with the clutch hanked all the way in without it stalling.(as it remains in a gear) Neutral is very difficult to find and you cannot start in gear as it wants to run on you.

What baffles me is the owner delivered the bike the 20 miles we needed to go and was behind me and we hit each and every stop light. Pulled into my driveway and was able to stop the bike.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does it feel like the clutch is starting to work as soon as you squeeze the lever, or is there an area where it seems the lever is moving but not doing anything? If so, trying squeezing the lever partially like pumpimg the brakes on a car.

John

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the previous owner come over and we changed the fluid (both and dirty) found it had air in the system.

Test drove and works great!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Glad you got it home. Also glad only a fluid change and bleeding was your problem. Otherwise I would have suggested (with the age of the bike) to do a re-build of the hyd. master cyl..

I got a 85, 1200 Aspecade Wing as well. Check it over like you do the Shadow. Most of the regular maintainence is the same in natural. Carb sync. not quite as hard as the Shadow.

Good source for you... www.gl1200goldwings.com

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
114 Posts
tropicalsuns said:
Bought an 1984 Goldwing today (details and pics to follow) and on my first ride, right from the get go I found that the clutch did not release the transmission with it fully squeezed in.

It is impossible to come to a full stop with the clutch hanked all the way in without it stalling.(as it remains in a gear) Neutral is very difficult to find and you cannot start in gear as it wants to run on you.

What baffles me is the owner delivered the bike the 20 miles we needed to go and was behind me and we hit each and every stop light. Pulled into my driveway and was able to stop the bike.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Welcome to the Wing world. It sounds like you have air in your hydraulic lines, but let me stear you to 2 great GW sites where you can find great help specifically for the wing.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/
http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/index.php

Peace,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts