Honda Shadow Forums banner

Hyosung?

3K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  kewljoe 
#1 ·
Dont know if this is the right thread to ask but I saw this bike being offered for 2800 and I have never heard of this brand, I asked around at work to a few of the other riders I know and zip, so I come here. Has anyone had any experience with these bikes? The bike is a 2009 Hyosung V-twin 250cc they asking 2800, its not for me its for a friend...

#5 ·
Yea I was thinking of a rebel but that person just found this add and asked for my opinion:
2009 Hyosung V-Twin 250cc - $2800
13XX miles on it and runs great. It comes with a bike cover, 3 sets of handle bars (currently has drag bars on it), 2 helmets, saddle bags (needs a bracket made for them), foot rests, battery tender, and a couple other things.

#9 ·
Price is way too high.

Hyosungs are Korean, not Chinese. They are OK provided they don't have the CA emission crap on them. Their fuel vapor recovery can on those versions are tied to the fuel tank and prone to system flooding if the tank is filled right to the brim. It can be removed but why get an off brand when you can get an easy-to-sell Rebel? Because it is a 90 degree V instead of a parallel, they might produce more HP, donno but worth asking about.

#15 ·
this is what the bike looks like, is it me or does this 250 look as big as my 750 (thought 250's were usually smaller in size)

First word that came to mind was "fake." It's built to look bigger than it needs to be. Kind of a marketing ploy, I guess.
Dude, I'd stay away from anything that doesn't have a long record behind it, and the parts availability to keep it on the road.
-john

#12 ·
Hyosung is a Korean brand that uses old technology that they bought from Suzuki the have been in the sportbike world for a while their copy of the SV650 has been a pretty good bike
Exactly. I think that at one time they may have actually supplied SV650 engines to Suzuki, and then went solo with their own brand and bike. I'm not sure about today, but a few years ago they were still producing the Suzuki-designed 650 in the old carbureted version after Suzuki went to EFI for the engine that is currently in the DL650 V-Strom.

Hyosungs may not be on the cutting edge of motorcycle design, but I have heard nothing bad about them and there's something to be said for tried-and-true technology.

#19 ·
we bought one of those for my daughter to learn to ride on: lots of little problems:

- always something that needed adjusting (if I weren't there to do it it would have spent more time in the shop than in use)

- always struggled to get parts for it

- seriously underpowered (yea, compared to other 250 cruisers, not trying to compare it to bigger bikes or sportsbikes)

- after 2 years the chrome started peeling off everywhere (the plastic chrome!)

- the exhaust rotted away from the inside

- had to sell it for almost nothing to get rid of it

:mad:

#20 ·
a buddy of mine has one of the special edition bikes

and the stock brakes Literally Fell off the bike around 4000 miles, apparently it was a known issue and had it fixed under warranty... doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their products...

#21 ·
I have heard parts are hard to find. I have also heard them called disposable. I looked at a scooter for my 15 year old daughter. I was not impressed.

#22 ·
We have them in Britain..they are useless crap..one step above Chinese and one below Indian Enfields..Fine if you are only going to ride short distances in warm weather and not exceed 30mph..I wouldn't trust one on a daily run of 30 miles each way in all weathers..Now $2800 should buy you a good shadow that will still outlast most other bikes and ride in all weather for any distance.

John.

#23 ·
We've got 'em in NZ and a couple of my elderly biker bros have bought them and have had no problems whatsoever.

I'd probably still go for a Suzuki Intruder 250 (or whatever they're called these days) for better quality and reliability over the Korean bike.

#25 ·
Dont know if this is the right thread to ask but I saw this bike being offered for 2800 and I have never heard of this brand, I asked around at work to a few of the other riders I know and zip, so I come here. Has anyone had any experience with these bikes? The bike is a 2009 Hyosung V-twin 250cc they asking 2800, its not for me its for a friend...
Good starter bike. At least around here I'd say thats a high price. They don't seem to have much retained value. I think everyone buys them and wants to sell them quick so they can move to a bigger bike. You can buy them brand new around here for 28-2900.

#27 ·
They are JUNK. Period. Parts are difficult to get here in the USA and the bikes are unreliable, at best. Seriously.

State of Ohio bought 20 of them a few years back to use for the MSF courses and all of them broke down after less than 2000 miles. They had a more than difficult time trying to get parts to repair them. I even offered my time to get them back on the road and was told that "our money is better spend buying new Rebels".

"Waste your money not. Better spent on a used Nighthawk 250, it is." - Yoda

#28 ·
Is there a reason you have to limit yourself to a 250, that is only 125cc's per pot..I think around 300cc's per pot should give you a bullet proof engine that will last a few years and give you a better chance to speed up to get out of trouble.

John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.