Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider and bought a 2009 750 Spirit over three months ago. It had 9450 miles on it. Recently checking the final drive oil, I found it to be a half inch low and very dark. I'm concerned that it's the original oil and disappointed that the dealer I bought the bike from had not changed it.

The Honda manual says to use hypoid 80 weight gear oil. I'd never heard of the term 'hypoid' and looked it up. It refers to gears that have curved teeth, and that makes sense to me for a shaft drive bike. However, after shopping for gear oil, I didn't find any that are hypoid specific. Is that important? Or just not worry about it and get a multi-viscosity oil that covers 80 weight? I was going to buy Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Any 75w90 synthetic gear oil should work. You can't go wrong with either Castrol or Mobil1.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I use the Lucas 80W got enough in one jug to do me for 5 years at one change a year for $25 or less.

Dingo.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Look for GL-5 gear lube. The spec 5 is for hypoid gears. Hypoid gears require a higher shear strength oil....

Edit. Oh, and btw, I wouldn't panic just because there is old oil in your final drive. Most cars NEVER get their diff oil changed and they run just fine for, usually, hundreds of thousands of miles....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Look for GL-5 gear lube. The spec 5 is for hypoid gears. Hypoid gears require a higher shear strength oil....

Edit. Oh, and btw, I wouldn't panic just because there is old oil in your final drive. Most cars NEVER get their diff oil changed and they run just fine for, usually, hundreds of thousands of miles....
true story.

my dad has 340k miles on his rear axle gear oil... never been changed and he regularly tows with the truck and has never had any problems out of it.

but really pretty much any GL-5 gear oil will be fine. If I remember I put lucas 75w-90 synthetic in my aero. takes about 2 minutes.

Also.... dont trust a dealer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I feel better. As a new owner, I'm kind of a fanatic about following recommended maintenance. Because I plan to keep this bike unless I wen a lottery.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I use the Lucas 80W got enough in one jug to do me for 5 years at one change a year for $25 or less.

Dingo.
Um, why when Honda says 24,000 miles? At least on mine.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Also, remember to check it on the side stand. Unlike the crankcase oil which you check with the bike straight up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The manual I have is for a 2005 vt750c. It says change the final drive oil at each 8000 miles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Call your dealer and ask what they do with bikes they sell, like do they do a complete service.
This is something a good dealer would check and change all fluids just for their own protection and liability reasons. Instead of a Spit & Polish sale.
When I purchased mine, I asked about all the fluids, chain lube and let them know I expect flushing the system.
Old history of maintenance is it was never done, presume the worst and expect the best.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The manual I have is for a 2005 vt750c. It says change the final drive oil at each 8000 miles.
Are you sure? My book says check at 8,000, change at 24,000. Granted, two diff bikes, but both Honda shafts.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,463 Posts

Dingo.
A quart will last me 16 changes doing it once a year which = 16 yrs. I hope I can ride that much longer! 3 down 13 to go. :lol:

I've been using 80-140w Valvoline synthetic/Mystic 80-140w dino for 7 yrs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts