Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is it that whenever someone does something to my motorcycle I am either too far away or was inside a building to do anything? I was too far away when I saw a guy standing, yes standing, on the seat of my ACE. He was taking pictures of the bikes coming down Dickson St. during Bikes, Blues and BBQ two years ago.

Now, some jackass dragged something across the top of my hardbags on my Indian. There are small, about half inch long, permanent scrapes in the paint. I was inside shopping and came out and found it. I don't understand it. The guy taking pictures just stood there on someone else's property taking his pictures. He jumped off and disappeared into the crowd before I could get there. But what would I have done? There was no damage.

What would I have done if I saw the guy or gal damage the Indian? Well that is a little different because there was damage and they would be paying for the repair. But the question is, why do people think that motorcycles are open to that kind of treatment? Would they stand on the hood of someone else's Cadillac? I am sure that they would walk away if they damaged a car because they can't admit they did it and don't want to pay, but I have the feeling that the damage to my bike was intentional.

There are people in this town who don't like our rally and it is only 5 days away so it may have been a gut reaction to the bike and the upcoming rally. Maybe I should put a Mongols sticker on the bike. Then they can live in fear of reprisal.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Some people don't have the brains God gave the average rock.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
R-E-S-P-E-C-T- What happened to Respect ??? For other people and their property.
Of course we see it every day with hit and run accidents, etc., etc., etc. Moral decay ! :cry:

·
Premium Member
8,681 Posts
BASTADS! ... And, this is why I always carry one of these with me when I go into stores, or need to use the Portajohn.

Or. I'd at-least like to!!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
We have a friend who teaches elementary school and she offers this piece of the puzzle. She calls this "Day Care Mentality". She explained that she can often quickly tell which kids were in daycare and which weren't by their attitude towards personal property. In most daycare facilities, kids are taught that everything belongs to everyone and must be shared. If you don't want to share, don't bring it to daycare with you. Not sharing is "selfish" and bad. They carry those seeds in their little heads as they go forward in life. While certainly not the whole cause of the problem, it is definitely a part of what leads to a casual disregard for the property of others, an unintended consequence of what was meant to be fair.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
We have a friend who teaches elementary school and she offers this piece of the puzzle. She calls this "Day Care Mentality". She explained that she can often quickly tell which kids were in daycare and which weren't by their attitude towards personal property. In most daycare facilities, kids are taught that everything belongs to everyone and must be shared. If you don't want to share, don't bring it to daycare with you. Not sharing is "selfish" and bad. They carry those seeds in their little heads as they go forward in life. While certainly not the whole cause of the problem, it is definitely a part of what leads to a casual disregard for the property of others, an unintended consequence of what was meant to be fair.
I can see where this can be a reason for some problems nowadays. I do not agree that not wanting to share is being selfish or bad,,,it is a way of keeping what you work hard to have in the condition that you want it to be in when you need it.

I prefer one of these,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Why is it that whenever someone does something to my motorcycle I am either too far away or was inside a building to do anything? I was too far away when I saw a guy standing, yes standing, on the seat of my ACE.

He was taking pictures of the bikes coming down Dickson St. during Bikes, Blues and BBQ two years ago. Now, some jackass dragged something across the top of my hardbags on my Indian. There are small, about half inch long, permanent scrapes in the paint. I was inside shopping and came out and found it.

I don't understand it. The guy taking pictures just stood there on someone else's property taking his pictures. He jumped off and disappeared into the crowd before I could get there. But what would I have done? There was no damage. What would I have done if I saw the guy or gal damage the Indian?

Well that is a little different because there was damage and they would be paying for the repair. But the question is, why do people think that motorcycles are open to that kind of treatment? Would they stand on the hood of someone else's Cadillac? I am sure that they would walk away if they damaged a car because they can't admit they did it and don't want to pay, but I have the feeling that the damage to my bike was intentional.

There are people in this town who don't like our rally and it is only 5 days away so it may have been a gut reaction to the bike and the upcoming rally. Maybe I should put a Mongols sticker on the bike. Then they can live in fear of reprisal.coming rally. Maybe I should put a Mongols sticker on the bike. Then they can live in fear of reprisal.
Paragraphs make a large block of text easier to read..first of all Violence will bring an assault charge.

In any case it's not just bikes. Many times a far more expensive car will get vandalized. It's not only bikes. I am not as bothered by people regarding my bike. One of the reasons going from a $25K bike to a $4200 bike.

People and I suggest it was a younger person as us old guys have what we want and don't covet another's goods. There is an "entitlement factor" at play with younger people.

We are getting ready for the Fall rally next week. There are people here that do not like it but they either leave town or stay inside. They usually line up the sides of the road in olf carts watching the bikes go by

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I can see where this can be a reason for some problems nowadays. I do not agree that not wanting to share is being selfish or bad,,,it is a way of keeping what you work hard to have in the condition that you want it to be in when you need it.

I prefer one of these,,,
Rest assured, you and I are on the same page. I was saying what they are taught, not what is correct.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I posted this on another social media site is response to another 'event', but it applies to the OPs situation. "It's part of the pussifcation of America. Back in the day you did not disrespect your parents, teachers, Police, adults, rules, community, country, property of others, or any authority...or you paid the price." Today there are fewer consequences, therefor there are fewer learned and embedded behaviors. Teach your children well ...

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Rest assured, you and I are on the same page. I was saying what they are taught, not what is correct.

No worries!! I took it the way you meant it,,,just stating what us old farts think,,,:grin2:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You can go to jail for murder if you are caught, I have not been caught.Reasonable rates apply, cash only .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That scene crossed my mind. I would have loved to have done something close to that if I caught up to the guy who stood on my bike. But my violent reaction days are behind me. I wanted to follow him to his ride, either bike or car and return the favor. Bike, stand on it. Car, stand on the hood. I asked a cop (there are more than a few around during the rally) what he would have done if he had seen me just "help" the guy off briskly. He said, "Just turned around and not see anything." The scrape, if I had seen it happen would have been a little different. But, I didn't so I don't know. What would I have done. Used my helmet? Nah. I would give him or her a stern lecture about touching other people's stuff while getting their info so they can pay for the repair.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
first of all Violence will bring an assault charge.

Depends on where you live.

I witnessed the police getting called to a scene (I was there) where a guy got his ass handed to him for sitting on another guy's bike. The guy who was now wearing his ass for a hat came out of a restaurant with his minivan family and sat on the guys bike where his wife could take pics of him pretending to be a tough guy biker. The real tough guy biker left the patio of said restaurant and pulled Ole boy off his bike. Ass hat guy precedes to cuss at, and berate tough guy biker dude in front of his minivan family. Tough guy biker dude has enough when ass hat guy walks over and leans on the bike again. Tough guy biker then removes ass hat guys rearend and installs it on his head.

Ass hat guys minivan wife calls 911. Police show shortly after and tells ass hat guy he messed with the wrong guy and to move his minivan family on down the road.

Police then tell tough guy biker, to pay his tab and move on.

All fun and games till you call the police and two motorcycle cops show up.

Moral of the story, I know lots of law enforcement officers and pretty much all agreed how this was handled. It happens more than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
Theja1
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing