Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife has wanted a scooter for four years, ever since J.D. got his “Sasha” on the TV show Scrubs. So on Saturday, we went shopping at Friend & Friend in Orono, Maine, to make her dream come true. That's all it was supposed to be — scooter shopping, nothing more. Yeah, I bet you know where this is going. Just pretend you don’t for a few minutes.

My best friend has been riding since 2000. He'd wanted a bike since he was a kid, and when he came into some extra cash, he picked up a 1995 Honda Shadow 600 VLX. He’d researched various models and found the Shadow to be top-notch, with few problems and lots of happy customers. He couldn’t even legally ride it then — had to get a friend drive it home for him. But he got his permit and was on the road soon enough. Not long after his first bike, he sold it and bought a brand-new 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750, which he’s written for nearly 10 years. He’s logged 55,000 miles on that bike alone, so he knows what he likes — and knows how darn good those Shadows are.

He’s always talked of how much he loves riding, and has often tried to convince me I should get a bike. “We could go riding together,” he’d always say. Too big an investment for me, I always said. Plus, I’d never driven a bike before. I mean, I’ve been an avid bicyclist since I was a kid (I’m 41 now), and I once spent nearly 45 minutes on the back of an off-road dirtbike, but that’s the limit of my experience. A motorcycle was never happening. Famous last words. It’s always amazing how Murphy’s Law is constantly vigilant, lurking just around the corner and waiting to prove you wrong.

So there I was, my wife out test-driving her scooter, and I’m admiring bikes. I’d always admired nice cruisers, with a particular liking for black and chrome. There was this beautiful 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 there, with a windshield, crash bars, extra lights, saddlebags, and gray flames on the gas tank and so on — over a grand in extras, in fact. And it looked brand new, with just 2,456 miles on it. Turns out the owner and his wife had two bikes and decided they only needed one. A comparable bike, brand new with those extras, would have run about $8,500. They wanted $5,400.

In retrospect, I might have haggled the price a bit, although Motorcycle.com says it’s $6,800 without any extras and, presumably, average mileage (which elsewhere I found to be about 14,000 miles). But it really is cherry, and the dealer did a 55-point check on it, including replacing fluids and filters and everything else, cleaning it up and making it into a showroom piece. You wouldn’t know it had even been driven for the mere 2,456 miles it has on it.

So there I was, one moment having silly pipe dreams I know I’d never act on… and suddenly, for one weak moment, it was impossible to resist. I found myself telling the salesman to add this to the scooter deal and run credit to get a loan. I think I was outside my body at the time. At one point, I remember clutching my head with both hands and saying, “Holy crap, what the heck am I doing?!”

“No, don’t think like that!” the salesman said with a laugh. “Don’t get buyer’s remorse until after you buy it!”

The loan came back. Great interest rate, nice terms. And there it was. It happened. When we walked out of there, my wife owned a scooter and I owned a Honda Shadow.

And it’s too late to change my mine. I bought it. I own it. And Saturday night at 11:55 p.m., I found a MMSEC permit course for Sunday morning, and I took it yesterday. Passed it, so I’m legal to ride, so long as it’s daylight and there’s nobody on the back. And this weekend, I’m going to get on it for the first time. My buddy is coming up to show me the ropes, give me the lessons, and teach me how to ride.

Did I mention I can’t believe I just did this? Because I can’t believe I just did this.

My wife can’t, either. And the only reason I did was because she was in an uncharacteristically weak state of mind — she wanted that scooter badly enough that I could probably have gotten a brand-new pickup truck out of her if I’d tried. I’m reasonably positive I could have gotten a threesome out of her. No pickup, no threesome… but I have a motorcycle.

And you know what? Man, this bike is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I’m like a kid with a new toy just out of reach, wanting to play with it but not quite able to. They’re delivering the bike this week, and my best friend is heading to my house for a Saturday of showing me those ropes and hitting the road.

“I wanted a used bike because I can’t justify the price of a new one,” I remember telling the salesman. “I’ll never ride it enough to make it worth it.”

“That’s what they all say,” he said with a chuckle, and I dismissed it.

I already see what he meant. I’ve not even driven the thing yet, and I’m dying to get on the road.

A monster has been created in me, and many factors helped create it. Foremost is my best friend, who has been helping to create it for 11 years. The salesman added to the monster. The finance guy did. The instructor in class yesterday stoked the monster’s fire. Having an early mid-life crisis probably contributed to the process. And that very bike, that beautiful 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2, helped make that monster even stronger.

But mostly, I think I’ve created my own monster. I can’t wait to feed the beast within.

Best,
-Indy

=====================

Here's a poor-quality cell-phone pic. If I'd known I was buying a motorcycle, I would have brought my Nikon D200 and done it right!
:)

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's all gotta start somewhere! Good for you. That was your inner voice making that decision. Listen to it. It tells you how you truly feel.

Enjoy the bike.:D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
welcome to the family! Now that you have your wheels, don't forget to listen to that inner voice on a daily basis.. if it says ride, ride... if it says don't ride... don't ride. remember your safety course, read up on these forums for the safety tips. Learn your bike, it will keep you safe. Nice job on the pic!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inner voice indeed! Usually when you have an inner voice, it means you're crazy. That remains to be seen.

-Indy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it feels good so far... I bet it will feel better when this weekend comes around, and I can actually ride it!

-Indy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete, you're too kind. The pic is horrible. Once I get the bike home, and probably before I even ride it, I'll get my D200 out and do the pictures I want to do!

-Indy

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since it sounds like you're in the Bangor area if you have the time I can't recommend A and J's MSF class enough, they're right in Bucksport, I went in with no experience and came out feeling pretty comfortable on a bike and I find myself using a lot of the knowledge learned while I'm on the road. Anyway, congrats on the bike!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, N736RA. I am indeed in the Bangor area -- Brewer, to be exact. I checked with A&J on the MMSEC class, but they weren't offering it (once a month, but canceled this months for too few people), so hit Northeast in Bangor Sunday for the MMSEC course. That got me a permit, and with my best friend's guidance, I'll get out there and practice all weekend. I won't hit the road until I'm comfortable handling the bike in every way, and then I plan to ride as much as I can this summer to get experience under my belt. If I feel okay with it in September, I may just send in for a road test. If I feel I need more work, I plan to take the 15-hour course (with 10 hours of riding) to be sure I have the extra.

Best,
-Indy

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! She sure is a purty one! You will fit in just fine! As soon as you get it you need to take some higher quality pics and set it as your signature so we can see her every post! Always rememeber two things, 1. Ride like you are invisible, cuz the idjets in the cages may not see you. 2. Ride your ride, not you friends or anyone elses, meaning ride at your pace, if you are comfortable at 40 or less go 39 and be happy! If you ride in a group, the first few times you need to lead, that way you dont feel pressure to keep up with them, if you do follow and the riders in front show off and ride like bat out of ****, let em go!
Ride safe, enjoy, take pics!
Coop

·
Registered
148 Posts
Speaking as the afore-mentioned Best Friend, I can tell you, I have told him the same thing, over and over and over again (over the years)...you ride your own ride, and ignore everyone else. Stay alive, keep the shiny side up!

-MaineRider

Congrats on the new ride! She sure is a purty one! You will fit in just fine! As soon as you get it you need to take some higher quality pics and set it as your signature so we can see her every post! Always rememeber two things, 1. Ride like you are invisible, cuz the idjets in the cages may not see you. 2. Ride your ride, not you friends or anyone elses, meaning ride at your pace, if you are comfortable at 40 or less go 39 and be happy! If you ride in a group, the first few times you need to lead, that way you dont feel pressure to keep up with them, if you do follow and the riders in front show off and ride like bat out of ****, let em go!
Ride safe, enjoy, take pics!
Coop

·
Registered
148 Posts
"she wanted that scooter badly enough that I could probably have gotten a brand-new pickup truck out of her if I’d tried. I’m reasonably positive I could have gotten a threesome out of her. No pickup, no threesome… but I have a motorcycle."

Dude, you've got a HONDA SHADOW...you don't NEED a pick-up. Leave the pick-up for someone else riding a lesser scoot. :)

See you Saturday morning, dude!

-MaineRider

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the darn thing is big enough to function as a pickup, I suppose!

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
A new hushed voice is going to start now, with things like "I need pipes", or "wouldn't a nice new Mustang seat be nice", "look at that windshield" heh, heh, heh, heh. A full wallet it a terrible thing to waste.

Where are the pics of the wife's scooter?

A smart man would have gone with the threesome and bargained for the bike as a bonus.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
congrats on your bike!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Shhhhh...I haven't told him about Cruiser Customizing, Kurkyan, Cobra, Memphis Fats, Mustang, Corbin or Willie & Max yet!!!

-MaineRider

A new hushed voice is going to start now, with things like "I need pipes", or "wouldn't a nice new Mustang seat be nice", "look at that windshield" heh, heh, heh, heh. A full wallet it a terrible thing to waste.

Where are the pics of the wife's scooter?

A smart man would have gone with the threesome and bargained for the bike as a bonus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, watched my buddy go through that for years. As for the threesome, well, never claimed to be a smart man. Besides, she'd have given in on the threesome -- but been pretty mad about it later. With the bike, she's STILL okay with it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Since it sounds like you're in the Bangor area if you have the time I can't recommend A and J's MSF class enough, they're right in Bucksport, I went in with no experience and came out feeling pretty comfortable on a bike and I find myself using a lot of the knowledge learned while I'm on the road. Anyway, congrats on the bike!
+1, I can't recommend a MSF class enough.

Great looking scoot there. Sasha on scrubs always cracked me up.

Please take a MSF class. They will give you some of the basics in a nice protected environment on a bike that isn't yours. I would hate to see you gump up that pretty bike due to not having the basic skills you need to ride safely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A very smart man would have gone for the threesome bargained for the truck and in the end got what he wanted the bike (and the girl).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts