Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a good example of sweeping an intersection before proceeding.

I live in the country and drive 22 miles each way to work. Finished work at 6pm and was riding home. Come to the only stop light near my home and waited for the light to turn green. The speed limit is 50 mph. It turned green and before proceeding, I checked for stopped traffic. To my right I see a huge transport truck travelling way too fast to stop in time. He realized that he was in deep sh.t and blasted his horn. And he motored through a dead red.

Just thought I'd share my .02. I never drive through without checking and this just reinforces that habit.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You were paying attention to the surroundings.Dont forget to do it daily

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
way to be on top of things bud. it sounds like it may have saved your life.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Good for you for checking... no telling what someone else is going to do. I also am cautious at intersections even if the light says I have the right-of-way... Just because you have the right-of-way... doesn't make you any less of a roadkill. Thanks for posting this... always pay attention/.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Glad you saw that one coming. Gotta be careful with those crazy yahoos out there.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Yup, living here in the land of the newly weds & nearly deads, along with most who just don't give a crap about red lights, I have avoided probably an average of one accident a month by doing what you just did. Good for you.

As an aside, when my dad taught me to drive, he taught me to watch other vehicles front wheels, stopped or moving. For, where their wheels point their a$$ is sure to follow.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Glad you were paying attention, and for this new rider, thanks for the lesson.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Here is a good example of sweeping an intersection before proceeding.

I live in the country and drive 22 miles each way to work. Finished work at 6pm and was riding home. Come to the only stop light near my home and waited for the light to turn green. The speed limit is 50 mph. It turned green and before proceeding, I checked for stopped traffic. To my right I see a huge transport truck travelling way too fast to stop in time. He realized that he was in deep sh.t and blasted his horn. And he motored through a dead red.

Just thought I'd share my .02. I never drive through without checking and this just reinforces that habit.
That is a good habit. I have had people honk behind me because I hesitate at green lights.

The worst is when you ave a driver on your ass and you are coming up on a yellow. I refuse accelerate through yellows (as left turners LOVE dem yellow lights) ..yet I assume the driver behind me will think I am going to accelerate so I am always looking to pull to the right and stop for the red and let the driver run the light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts