Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Quantum v, it always helps to get your needed info if you include what bike your discussing. ie yr model, any modifications etc . Most if not all of the shadows have a rev limiters on them. Is the backfire on the up shift or on deceleration?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There's a rev limiter on your bike, you can't rev too high. More likely your air/fuel mixture is off on a carbed bike. If FI I'm at a loss unless you have added intake or exhaust.

Dingo.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If it starts to stutter just before you shift then you may be hitting the rev limiter. Try shifting early at lower RPMs and see if things improve.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Listen to your car or truck when it shifts. Shift your bike when the engine hits roughly the same "tone". Man, if you are hitting the rev limiter on normal shifts, your doing it waaaaaaay wrong. I feel like mine is going to fly apart when it hits the limiter.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a VTX six months ago. First factory motorcycle I ever had without a tachometer. I bought a Shadow a couple weeks ago. Second factory bike I ever had without a tachometer. Is the tachometer going the same direction as the fold-out wing window and the cigarette lighter in our automobiles?

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Over the internet diagnosis ==> Rev limiter!!
Yeah, that`s what I was thinking...
The Rev Limiter is working as it should, from the description of symptoms...
Ain`t reading dialogue fun?
Welcome,
D

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,242 Posts
Listen to your car or truck when it shifts. Shift your bike when the engine hits roughly the same "tone". Man, if you are hitting the rev limiter on normal shifts, your doing it waaaaaaay wrong. I feel like mine is going to fly apart when it hits the limiter.
BINGO! If you need a gauge to tell you when to shift then you aren't competent enough to be running that engine. Doesn't matter if it's a motorcycle, car, truck or whatever. Learn the machine to "become one" with it.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Most bikes w/o a tachometer have indicator marks on the speedometer showing a recommended shift speed in any given gear. I know my 88 does.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I bought a VTX six months ago. First factory motorcycle I ever had without a tachometer. I bought a Shadow a couple weeks ago. Second factory bike I ever had without a tachometer. Is the tachometer going the same direction as the fold-out wing window and the cigarette lighter in our automobiles?
Factory tachs and the maintenance stand became extinct quite awhile ago. I still have a cig lighter and ashtray in my 96 Mercury Sable. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
206 Posts
BINGO! If you need a gauge to tell you when to shift then you aren't competent enough to be running that engine. Doesn't matter if it's a motorcycle, car, truck or whatever. Learn the machine to "become one" with it.
Yeppers

·
Registered
206 Posts
If it strains = too Low
If it flows = Just right
If it jerks = too High (i.e: if it seems like you don't need that extra gear)

Place a book on your back seat and if its falls off....

·
Registered
17,972 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
As a base to start from, the MOM (Motorcycle Owners Manual) will give you Honda's guidelines. Thats a start. I think they're on the low side for my bike, but it'll give you a base line. If it lugs when you up shift you're shifting at too low an rpm. If you hit the rev limiter before you shift, you'e revving too high before you shift. Somewhere in the middle is a happy place to shift.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What is the "Rev Limiter" of which you speak?
Neither of my bikes have such a thing. My only rev limit would be "Valve Float", which is a whole nuther thing :-D

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
What is the "Rev Limiter" of which you speak?
Neither of my bikes have such a thing. My only rev limit would be "Valve Float", which is a whole nuther thing :-D
On the old bikes, the rev limiter was the size of your wallet.;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts