Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a crash on my bike. I took a corner a little fast and the road was pretty dusty. I also need new tires. Anyways, the bike went from under me and we slid into the dirt on the side of the road. The damage looks to be pretty mild. I snapped the mirror right off the Clutch Mount and need to replace both. I damaged the headlight case and got quoted about 100$ to replace. I scratched up the front fender and got quoted 200-300$ for a new one. The plastic of the clutch cable got beat up too. Other than that it seems like it’s alright. I picked her back up and it started up right away. The handle bars were a little off Center afterwards but I put the front tire between my legs and straightens them out. Can you guys give me some advice on the best way to repair my bike and get it looking bran new again? I have a 2002 Honda Shadow Ace. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recently had a crash on my bike. I took a corner a little fast and the road was pretty dusty. I also need new tires. Anyways, the bike went from under me and we slid into the dirt on the side of the road. The damage looks to be pretty mild. I snapped the mirror right off the Clutch Mount and need to replace both. I damaged the headlight case and got quoted about 100$ to replace. I scratched up the front fender and got quoted 200-300$ for a new one. The plastic of the clutch cable got beat up too. Other than that it seems like it’s alright. I picked her back up and it started up right away. The handle bars were a little off Center afterwards but I put the front tire between my legs and straightens them out. Can you guys give me some advice on the best way to repair my bike and get it looking bran new again? I have a 2002 Honda Shadow Ace. Thanks guys!!!
Damn, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you didn't get any damage, I dumped a 94 vlx many years ago and also snapped the mirror mount on the throttle side, fortune had it in my favor that it wasn't my fault and the cage driver had insurance, I wound up grinding down the broken part and flipped the mount so that the mirror was underslung and the mini apes that I put on it put the mirror in a good spot, all I can say for oem replacement parts is check cheap cycle parts. com, or maybe ebay, if your close to a motorcycle junk yard you might luck up on a bike that has parts you can use. Just don't rule out other makes and model years.. I know I probably didn't help much, but I do wish you luck on whatever way you go to repair her.. Ride on!

·
Registered
814 Posts
In my trail bike days, parts snapped off all the time. Just replace what you can. All you can do. Doesn't sound like you did that much damage.

I suggest, this would be the time to think about new mirrors if something fancier catches your eye.

Bikes get beat up over time, don't get all anal trying to make it show room fresh or at least the way I look at things. I've also seen my bike do cart wheels down a hill, kind of liberating. No one looks at an off road bike for show room quality. LOL. If I gave you a tour of my road bikes there are things that I know are there that you would never spot, don't sweat it.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,585 Posts
That is bad luck.
I think you should just patch it up and take your time looking for parts it is after all a 19 year old bike.
I'd definitely try eBay for the parts or local motorcycle salvage yards, it can represent quite a saving. A lot of parts are the same from 1998 to 2003.
With large volume, now inexpensive bikes like the 750 ACE, recyclers will often buy decent condition examples, just to turn them into parts.
Be aware that Canadian bikes tend to follow the same colour schemes as European models and US colors can differ.
Where in the Country are you approximately located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is bad luck.
I think you should just patch it up and take your time looking for parts it is after all a 19 year old bike.
I'd definitely try eBay for the parts or local motorcycle salvage yards, it can represent quite a saving. A lot of parts are the same from 1998 to 2003.
With large volume, now inexpensive bikes like the 750 ACE, recyclers will often buy decent condition examples, just to turn them into parts.
Be aware that Canadian bikes tend to follow the same colour schemes as European models and US colors can differ.
Where in the Country are you approximately located?
I’m in Canada in British Columbia

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Ok, that is a lot of miles from me in SW Ontario, I was wondering if you were close I might be able to point you at some possible local sources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, that is a lot of miles from me in SW Ontario, I was wondering if you were close I might be able to point you at some possible local sources.
Thanks man. I’ve been looking at BikeBandit and Fortnine. BikeBandit is American but even after conversion and shipping the parts are cheaper than what I was quoted from my local shop. The parts I need right away are relatively cheap, but it’s the headlight case and fender that are going to do me in. Thanks dude!

·
Registered
892 Posts
You should look up some cycle salvage yards, especially in the Western US. Lot of great condition parts for very reasonable prices!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
While you're at it, make some improvements. The OEM rectangular 1100 type mirrors are much better in my opinion. wider field of view (and don't look like Micky Mouse ears,,,) Put them on both my 750s.

#'s 18 and 19 here plus the locknuts #22 and 23. Used for years on a lot of models.

Reactions: squidchief

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
And the clutch lever mounting bracket was used on 600, 750, and 1100 models from 88 to 2016, should be easy to find a good one in the salvage yard, as well as the mirrors. the aftermarket replacement mirrors don't seem to be as vibration free.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought an aftermarket clutch perch on ebay last year. It was the exact same as stock. It cost about 15 dollars and was chrome plated. I may have a mirror. If you have the rectangles, I've got a pair of them.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
These knock offs are pretty good, I don't have a set of 1100 mirrors to compare, but vibration does not seem to be bad at all.
Way better than the stock round ones.
Other than very minor adjustment by hand you have to resort to the threads and lock nuts to get them dialed in.
Rectangles give you a far better picture of what is happening behind, they may look a little geeky, however I can live with that. (-;

Edit:
A link to the mirror at Fortnine https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-stainless-mirror-10mm-universal-981030
Cheaper now too.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I believe I had some of those mirrors, mistakenly bought off Ebay thinking they were oem. Might have been the Emgo ones, as I still have 1 stem with EMGO stamped in it. Seems like they vibrated more and the convex part was more powerful and harder to actually see out of or judge distances. The bikemaster one might be OK.

Also If anybody needs one, I do still have 2 right hand oem mirrors from Ebay, but they are the older (or newer?) type with only 1 locknut and shorter stems. The ones with 2 locknut are reversible and work on either side.

Like #18 here: 2007 Honda VT1100C2 A HANDLE SWITCH | Ron Ayers

says Made in Japan A52 on the back, For all I know they might be for a Kawasaki, but I think maybe Sabre. both are for right side. not sure how that happened.

Pay shipping and they're yours. I'll add this to the for sale section too, don't mean to hijack your thread...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While you're at it, make some improvements. The OEM rectangular 1100 type mirrors are much better in my opinion. wider field of view (and don't look like Micky Mouse ears,,,) Put them on both my 750s.

#'s 18 and 19 here plus the locknuts #22 and 23. Used for years on a lot of models.

I like the Mickey Mouse ears!!!! Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts