1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many others can say this???
5400 miles total...
I`m surprized not to see a Sturgis 2012 discussion started...
If you`ve never been, I suggest you take in one of these historic events...

Is Sturgis 2012 on your agenda???

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Nope. Probably won't ever be, not during bike events. Seen all the traffic and peeps on TV. I'll pass.
Coop

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thinking about a ride to Sturgis this summer since it is only a few hours away. Not sure if I want to go during bike week or not. Not a big fan of stupid drunk people. Maybe in the early morning hours would be a better time while everybody is sleeping off the previous nights party.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I misguided that question
My question shouldda read ~ How many diehards have a rode mine patch from over the 71 years? ~ not 2011.....
Ya know,I`ve always wanted to be "part of" this Sturgis event and now I have done that after 40+ years...The only thing I disliked about it was the waiting in line at fuel stops, but as mentioned earlier ~ the early hours aren`t nearly as congested...
But you know? the best looking Bikes are at the gas stops, parked and/or in traffic ~ Not in the shows!!!
As far as drunks??? I didn`t see that as an issue, I stayed away from the bars and campground traffic we were primarily on the scenic routes around Sturgis, making trips into Sturgis enjoying the sights and crowd of people on "Main drag"...
We had a group of folks we visited and had good close in parking...The Serenity Ride was Great!!! Thank You!!!
I would like to return sometime to explore the area some more, there`s a bunch of stuff I`da loved to see and do...
Putting on so many miles a day while there only let me see what is available...
I enjoyed myself,
Dennis

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can, we did it in 2007. My husband & I rode (me on my own) from Bella Vista AR. Loved the 2 wks on the road. Hated the rain (on the way there rain almost every day).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sturgis

Yeah, I can make that claim.

Rode all the way from Asbury Pk, NJ to Sturgis & back.

Put on about 5500 miles in about twelve days.

Would I go back? Not sure. Been there three times already, once during bike week, twice not.

Beautiful country out there. That's the main reason to go IMHO.

I guess it's something to put on your bucket list.

A lot of the vendors said business was off about 30%

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The trip to this event opened my eyes to the broad beauty of America...
We live in a very beautiful part of the Earth....
Those Rocky mountains are as pretty as my friend in Colorado Springs described them to me...
The highways to and from have their own beauty and story to tell also...
I am glad I`m a Motorcyclist/Biker, (whatever term you like to use) it gives me an opourtunity to feel the surroundings and beauty of this great USA...
May your travels be many and safe,
Dennis

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks fer the Pix...
I use two sets of bags too, along with a seabag...
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
From what I have seen on TV, i really have no desire to go, not that its a bad thing, i just hate crowds. Then again, what i have seen was on TV, so how much of that is for the cameras and how much is real i have no idea, but I am not burning to find out...

That fact you made the treck is impressive tho!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
From what I have seen on TV, i really have no desire to go, not that its a bad thing, i just hate crowds. Then again, what i have seen was on TV, so how much of that is for the cameras and how much is real i have no idea, but I am not burning to find out...

That fact you made the treck is impressive tho!
It's all for the camera.

Katie and I went in 2009 (didn't ride there, had too many ppl in the group and a couple of them were decrepit and couldn't ride that far). We spent a little bit of time on the main drag, found a lot of great deals and awesome vendors, but the most awesome part of the trip was the daily excursions we made to the surrounding countryside. That's definitely worth the trip there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was there in 2008. Didn't ride up, I was performing in a band for 8 days up there. Had a blast and wish I would of had my bike with me. Beautiful area, lots of great music and plenty to drink and look at. You can have a timid time or you can get in all the trouble you want. That's your call! Trying to ride through sturgis does not look like fun at all, I hate trying to park my bike at big events period. We just had one here this last weekend, few thousand bikes and lots of clutch action trying to "walk" your bike through the crowd to park. I doubt I will make it up to sturgis this year but my brother and I are planning a trip for 2013. It's only a 7 or 8 hour ride for us.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What with 2014 Sturgis said & done, Who can say they`ve earned the I rode Mine Patch???

Saving pennies,
D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.