Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Well, since you came to a Honda Owner Group (HOG) after 7 posts to tell us you bought a Harley instead of a Honda, you shouldn't mind if we critique your decision, right?

Where to start...motor. The HD has a Big Twin twin cam in it, 1687cc's minimum.

Honda doesn't make anything V Twin that big anymore, but if there were a leftover VTX 1800 at a Honda dealer, I promise you it would be faster, nastier, tourquier, more reliable and less expensive to run and maintain.

Even the 1300 Stateside or Fury would be as fast/quick or very close to it.

The Softail with stock exhaust is no louder than the Honda 1800. Vance and Hines each of them and the sound Honda will scare more people than the Harley...that VTX 1800 is a monster.

Suspension...hopefully you are 180lbs or less; otherwise you will find the Softail suspension inadequate and will have to upgrade those (pricey) trick shocks. Even when tweaked, Softails are the least comfortable platform HD makes.

But yes, Softails all look cool, all 564 variations they make of the platform...nobody "nicklebacks" (my euphemism, you can use it) themselves better than HD...there are waymore Softail models than there were Shadow models, for example.

So, you are buying a low-powered, expensive (in every way measurable) imitation of a Harley Davidson motorcycle...a twin cam motor with a huge list of defects in its design and a truly uncomfortable rear suspension with a decent front end, thanks to Showa (Japan).

Obviously a poor decision on the metrics.

Harleys are sold by the creation of yearning for a classic American Motorcycle and the wistful desire to relive a simpler time.

And for that experience, you will pay. Oh yes, you will pay.

Harleys are wonderful old tractors wrapped up in great Marketing & Advertising.

You'll feel cool and superior and have a sense of prestige and rebel status every time you tool down your street on that baby.

Honda doesn't make anything like a HD Softail.

Personally, I'd buy a Dyna before a Softail in a heartbeat...and it would be a carb fed Evo, not a TC. But that's just me.

But in terms of a good comparison, you should go ride a Victory before you buy a Harley....Victory's 106 motor is simply a superior motor to the TC 103.

Have fun!

Note to the Op, pay no never mind to the above nonsensical rambling, I hear this is what happens when the the LSD flashbacks start

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I agree; expressing/discussing isn't about "winning"....unless you're Charlie Sheen (ha).

The OP directly or indirectly sought our thoughts on his decision.

My thinking is that nobody buys a Harley to experience engineering excellence...you buy a Harley to get in on the Brand message and ride a new interpretation of a traditional/antique American motorcycle.

I think I articulated my views clearly and factually...my views are shared by motorcycle critics/reviewers, owners groups in class action lawsuits, etc...it's not just some guy ranting on a message board.

And I don't think I even mentioned the cam chain adjuster pad issue, did I?

I don't hate Harleys, I like them a lot....I just don't see any point in pretending the TC is a good motor. It's not.

Same thing with the Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 motors....they used plastic oil pump gears for several years and it wasn't until lots of them blew up that they changed the design. Bum motor design.

Or the Victory 92SC...ever read about the transmissions on those things? Scary! Bum design.

I don't hate Kawasakis or Victorys either.
I'll give you the Vulcan, especially the early one

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Meh. I was just asking, not arguing.

I never really understood the whole "H-D uses outdated tech/builds slower bikes" argument anyway, especially considering all the new options that H-D comes with...the anti-theft keyfob thingy comes to mind.

Usually, but not always, it is the kind of argument one finds from either the uninitiated or someone who has a hair across their ass because someone laughed at their bike or something

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
TC's are lemons??? Filthy Lies!

It's the new customer base!....they have heat-sensitive skin. (rimshot)

Turning off your Big Twin at stoplights on a hot day is nothing new and not exclusive to TC's...Harleys are modern antiques, as are Royal Enfields.

Actually, with Enfield & Harley both building bikes in India, RE could easily be the new Buell.

That would be a great purchase...then HD has a small bike to put the old guys on, the guys that refuse to buy a TriGlide.

And what exactly are all cruiser class bikes but modern antiques? You remind me of the infamous Harley basher Black Echo, who also used words like farm equipment in reference to Harleys except as I recall he admitted felt an equal disdain towards metric cruisers, which he regarded as dumb imitations of a dumb design.

The V twin itself is a limited engine design, yet look around.. what are most of us here riding?

You are absolutely correct, there are times when Harleys of all eras can overheat as air cooled engines of all types are prone to do.. so? There are times when riding a full on high tech crotch rocket gets damn uncomfortable.. in both cases it is the nature of the beast.. one is inconvenient to many because it overheats, one is unpractical to many because it sacrifices comfort for function..the buyers of both understand that.

One last thing, in the proper hands the "antique" Harleys can be prepped to be reliable and fast, very fast,, blow VTX's and such into the weeds fast.. again something that cannot be said for much of the cruiser competition, not bad for farm machinery at all.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Again with the soapbox reply that sounds like a google search. Still no actual experience. You've gone from the "Harley is junk" kick to "I really DO like Harleys" and back again to many times to count in this thread alone. Make up your mind. You're right though, to think that "Honda nearly bankrupted HD" 3x all by itself is the very definition of "Kool-Aid".

And again, what is it about someone owning a Harley that makes them not allowed on this(apparently your) forum when they still own a Shadow?

Oh and let's not forget,
<---this is also a smiley; it's an internet thingy used to let you know that I don't give a $hit. Someday you'll come to the realization that the world is laughing at you, not with you.
actually Honda did nearly bankrupt Harley, they had help though from Suzuki and Yamaha, they did it by selling low ball bikes at below cost, the same thing they did in England before..All the bikes mentioned btw have great models..now.. but where are all those old Hondas? Oh right..poor manufacturing and cheap materials have made the majority of the rides from Jap invasion useless except for the occasional roadside mail boxes.. even the slipshod production values of the AMF Harleys could not kill those models, owners simply worked around the factory flaws and made better bikes out of them..something one could not do with the majority of those old jap bikes of the early to mid sixties.. thing is when you stat talking about this stuff, you should know what you are talking about and the context of it.. it too Honda a LONG LONG time to become a viable contender with Harley, and now they both sit there with good bikes to offer, so instead of bashing most logical folks..JUST RIDE THEIR OWN RIDE.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
5k views, 157 posts all bescause a guy bought an HD that he liked. Its amazing how one post can start a post war. He got an HD. So what. All I can do is leave this thread smdh.
Op enjoy the bike. I really like the way it looks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

actually all this because someone decided to bash someone elses purchase

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Sure, Harleys are cool...I never said they weren't.

He asked what we thought.

He doesn't take delivery until the 31st, so there's still time to save him a lot of money and time spent at HD Service reading magazines from 2008 while we're all riding.

And he IS in the Honda Shadow Forum, right?

It's a Public Service.

He likes to "Buy American"....Marysville Ohio is in the USA, btw.

If he wants a 2012 version of a 1965 motorcycle, okay, I understand.

But I'd buy a restored first year electric start standard trim Electra Glide or an pre Road King EVO carb FLHS before a 2012 Slim Bob Night Boy or whatever it's called if I were buying a HD of that size/shape.

Or a new Victory cross thingy street glide copy....or a Fury...or a Victory adjustable ape hanger thing or that ginormous Thunderbird twin....anything but a TCb Softail.

He still has 10 days to come to his senses! Help the poor fella!

:)
Ya know I was ready to agree with you here, then I went back and read the OP again..this is what it stated..

I feel like a trader. I went to the Harley Store today to pay for my Rider Course. Then I was headed to Honda to check out some Shadows. I didn't make it that far. I fell in love with a Harley. The Harley Softail Slim. Sorry Guys.

No where do I see him asking for your opinion, but even if he did, even if he stated hey guys what do YOU think.. what would have been so hard about simply saying..not my bag but hey if it's what you want?

Oh wait.. of course, then you would not have had a chance to bash.. another thought, you say the TC is a bad engine..tales of woe and destruction and such.. yet there are thousands and thousands running around with no issues to speak of.. kind of like the Sabre 1100.. the infamous Sabre tick is a mere nuisance for the vast majority of Sabre owners.. but occasionally it can be more serious.. Honda flaw.. oh wow!!

The Sabre Group Tech & Mods

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.