Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
Well, since you came to a Honda Owner Group (HOG) after 7 posts to tell us you bought a Harley instead of a Honda, you shouldn't mind if we critique your decision, right?

Where to start...motor. The HD has a Big Twin twin cam in it, 1687cc's minimum.

Honda doesn't make anything V Twin that big anymore, but if there were a leftover VTX 1800 at a Honda dealer, I promise you it would be faster, nastier, tourquier, more reliable and less expensive to run and maintain.

Even the 1300 Stateside or Fury would be as fast/quick or very close to it.

The Softail with stock exhaust is no louder than the Honda 1800. Vance and Hines each of them and the sound Honda will scare more people than the Harley...that VTX 1800 is a monster.

Suspension...hopefully you are 180lbs or less; otherwise you will find the Softail suspension inadequate and will have to upgrade those (pricey) trick shocks. Even when tweaked, Softails are the least comfortable platform HD makes.

But yes, Softails all look cool, all 564 variations they make of the platform...nobody "nicklebacks" (my euphemism, you can use it) themselves better than HD...there are waymore Softail models than there were Shadow models, for example.

So, you are buying a low-powered, expensive (in every way measurable) imitation of a Harley Davidson motorcycle...a twin cam motor with a huge list of defects in its design and a truly uncomfortable rear suspension with a decent front end, thanks to Showa (Japan).

Obviously a poor decision on the metrics.

Harleys are sold by the creation of yearning for a classic American Motorcycle and the wistful desire to relive a simpler time.

And for that experience, you will pay. Oh yes, you will pay.

Harleys are wonderful old tractors wrapped up in great Marketing & Advertising.

You'll feel cool and superior and have a sense of prestige and rebel status every time you tool down your street on that baby.

Honda doesn't make anything like a HD Softail.

Personally, I'd buy a Dyna before a Softail in a heartbeat...and it would be a carb fed Evo, not a TC. But that's just me.

But in terms of a good comparison, you should go ride a Victory before you buy a Harley....Victory's 106 motor is simply a superior motor to the TC 103.

Have fun!
Wow, you truly have no clue what you're talking about do you? 3/4 of your points are complete bull$hit and the other 1/4 sounds like something you found with google.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
Did you buy it? It will cost you at least 5k more than a 750 Shadow, if I rememeber right.,
Considering it's over twice the size I'd sure hope so.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
Where I come from, if you're going to call "bs", you're supposed to back it up immediately or zip it....that goes whether you're in the Military or a televised Debate or a Bar on a Friday night.

I stand by everything I said. You are welcome to point out the alleged shortcomings in my critique. If you are able.
Oh boy, in comes the internet bad a$$..

I guess I've got some spare time before bed so I'll waste some humoring you...

Well, since you came to a Honda Owner Group (HOG) after 7 posts to tell us you bought a Harley instead of a Honda, you shouldn't mind if we critique your decision, right?

Where to start...motor. The HD has a Big Twin twin cam in it, 1687cc's minimum.

Honda doesn't make anything V Twin that big anymore, but if there were a leftover VTX 1800 at a Honda dealer, I promise you it would be faster, nastier, tourquier, more reliable and less expensive to run and maintain.

Even the 1300 Stateside or Fury would be as fast/quick or very close to it.

Nice to see we're buying Cruisers for speed now. You're probably the same person that comes out crying you bought a cruiser to cruise with when someone claims their bikes faster than yours.

The Softail with stock exhaust is no louder than the Honda 1800. Vance and Hines each of them and the sound Honda will scare more people than the Harley...that VTX 1800 is a monster.

That's complete opinion, and quite the bad one at that. Funny how every metric rider tries to get their bike sounding like a Harley, but you think the Honda sounds better. Key word, "think".

Suspension...hopefully you are 180lbs or less; otherwise you will find the Softail suspension inadequate and will have to upgrade those (pricey) trick shocks. Even when tweaked, Softails are the least comfortable platform HD makes.

More ignorant B.S. The Softail is one of the most comfortable platforms HD makes. But I guess being over 180lbs and with only 42k mi on mine I wouldn't really know that would I..

But yes, Softails all look cool, all 564 variations they make of the platform...nobody "nicklebacks" (my euphemism, you can use it) themselves better than HD...there are waymore Softail models than there were Shadow models, for example.

564? Exaggerate much??

So, you are buying a low-powered, expensive (in every way measurable) imitation of a Harley Davidson motorcycle...a twin cam motor with a huge list of defects in its design and a truly uncomfortable rear suspension with a decent front end, thanks to Showa (Japan).

Living under a rock are we? Yeah, the TC had some problems when it first came out, but it is 2012 now, try to keep up..

Obviously a poor decision on the metrics.

Harleys are sold by the creation of yearning for a classic American Motorcycle and the wistful desire to relive a simpler time.

And for that experience, you will pay. Oh yes, you will pay.

About the same as you will pay for any other bike, of less quality..

Harleys are wonderful old tractors wrapped up in great Marketing & Advertising.

You'll feel cool and superior and have a sense of prestige and rebel status every time you tool down your street on that baby.

Honda doesn't make anything like a HD Softail.

At least you got something right.

Personally, I'd buy a Dyna before a Softail in a heartbeat...and it would be a carb fed Evo, not a TC. But that's just me.

That statement right there proves you know nothing about the Softail line.

But in terms of a good comparison, you should go ride a Victory before you buy a Harley....Victory's 106 motor is simply a superior motor to the TC 103.

Too bad most of the people that leave Harley to buy a Victory end up taking a loss on the Victory to go back to Harley in less than 2yrs.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
LOL. This entire threads reminds me of the Playstation fanboys getting on Xbox forums and asking "Which is better? PS3 or Xbox 360?" and then flaming anyone who votes for the Xbox.

If you have a Harley, WTF are you doing on a Honda owner's forum?
I mean, you dont see me on a Harley Owners forum....wonder why?? Mostly because I DONT OWN A HARLEY.

Im not saying you arent welcome to this forum - its an open forum. But to come on here and then get into an argument over which is better is freaking RIDICULOUS. This is a HONDA sight. 98% of the members are going to be biased towards HONDA since they own HONDAS. And the few Harley owners on here prove the point, being biased towards their HARLEYS.

We are humans. Humans are biased creatures. Quit arguing over a completely subjective opinion, as it is a waste of energy.
Well the OP had full intentions of buying a Honda when he joined here. He simply came back wanting to share his new purchase. He in no way came in here saying he bought a superior bike by any means, he simply stated he went a different direction. It was others that decided to chime in and run down his choice in manufacturer to make them feel better about their own shortcomings.

As far as the rest of the Harley owners that are on here, from what I can tell, they either still own a Shadow, or owned one previously. That's why they're (we're) here.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
Yes, I will cheerfully "run down" anyone's decision to drop in here and wave their new Harley around.

Buying a Harley is always a poor decision compared to almost any other bike, because you are paying a huge premium to belong to their imaginary club.

It's like buying a Cadillac and expecting your life to become better...total consumer marketing nonsense aimed squarely at suckers.

Honda makes a superior quality product in every segment it does business in...if you want a top-notch generator, you want a Honda...lawnmower? Honda....outboard motor? Honda....cars, motorcycles, ATV's, power equipment...everything Honda makes is reliable and represents excellent value.

Harley Davidson motorcycles are, as I said earlier, wonderful old farm implements. They are iconic in the same way that a (real) Jeep is iconic...and like buying a soft-top Jeep, it's just a dumb idea, one the little boy inside tells you is a good idea.

HD is a marketing company peddling a dream....that part, the dream selling...they do really well.

Their motorcycles are really just props for HD Merchandise & Accessories...you see it all the time, two idjits on a Harley wearing thousands of dollars of Chinese-made HD logowear with big angry slogans about the American Dream. Is there anything more pathetic?

And they're nice props....too bad they didn't spend as much time making their motors as high quality as their paint jobs. (snigger)

Your old lady run off with a Harley owner or something? Cause that would make more sense than your gibberish.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
So...the option to shut off the rear cylinder when stopped does not help at all?
There's no point trying to argue with Captain Cut-N-Paste. He clearly has no actual experience with Harleys, not in the last few decades anyway, and bases his entire opinion on internet google searches.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
This is why I have stayed on the sidelines for this debate. I find it amazing that the biggest critics of HDs are from non-Harley owners with no actual experience with the Motor Company.
I know, and I've been doing my best to behave and walk away. But every now and then a little slips out..

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
You drive a FORD?? :shock: And to think I defended you,

Just kiddin', my first truck was an F-150.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
You're right...Harley apologists are virtually impossible to discuss anything with...the Facts make them angry.

They should all bugger off to the HD Forum.
Or it could be the fact that someone who goes from posting this:

Honda makes a superior quality product in every segment it does business in...if you want a top-notch generator, you want a Honda...lawnmower? Honda....outboard motor? Honda....cars, motorcycles, ATV's, power equipment...everything Honda makes is reliable and represents excellent value.
To this:

Drink your Kool-Aid.
in 36 minutes and can't see the irony in his own posts is a little hard to take seriously..

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
Facts are facts and throughout this thread you haven't advanced any.

The fact is that HD's TC motor is something of a dud. Not their best work.

HD owners here are loathe to accept that...but it doesn't change the facts.

Go have a look at the HD Forums sometime...I've used it as a source for work-arounds and various common issues with Harleys for years...there's TONS of detailed Tech Info there.

By comparison...this Honda Shadow forum doesn't have NEARLY the in-depth tech info the HD Forums have.

Why? Simple...there's virtually nothing of significance that ever goes wrong with a Honda V-Twin.

Personal Insults.
You and a few others, Harley owners for the most part, have called me a few schoolgirl names in this thread, but beyond that haven't said much that has been worthy of note.

Kool-Aid. Harley Davidson are marketing geniuses. That wasn't always true...
- The 1st time Honda nearly bankrupted HD, AMF was the Rescuer.
- The 2nd time Honda nearly bankrupted HD, US Govt Taxes were the Rescuer.
- The 3rd time Honda nearly bankrupted HD, internal management looked to the Marysville Plant and Toyota's JIT processes to get on track.

That's when HD decided to bridge the gap with the whole Retro Drink the Brotherhood Koolaid Nothing is like a Harley approach.

And despite the allegations of Stock Price manipulation, creative Financing and Inventory voodoo since then, HD is still around....the KoolAid has influence an entire generation of Americans that a Harley davidson motorcycle is the best there is...which is a gigantic lie, but if y'all wanna pretend you're livin' your life like cowboys in a Bon Jovi video, hey, drink up, buttercup, but keep in mind there are lots of people, lots and lots and lots, who think that stuff is 50 Shades of Gay (in the Southpark way).

Irony. When I point out Honda's leading position in the Global Motorcycle industry versus the junk Harley sells (almost exclusively) to Americans and suggest to HD Owners they ought to go hang out at the HD Forum where the "true believers" are...that's not ironic, that's just good sense. What IS ironic are a bunch of HD owners hanging out on a Honda Shadow Forum...and having the NERVE to get their panties in a twist when a Honda Owner trots out the Facts about your inferior motorcycle.

Bike vs You. You are not your bike, so when I point out your Harleys are not nearly as reliable or well-engineered as my Hondas...that's not about you, you see. It's about that lump in your driveway. When you reply with childish "insults" (yo momma!)...you're actually saying a lot more about yourself than me.

I hope this helps clear things up for you and the other brain-stunted HD owners in the house.

:p <---this is a smiley; it's an internet thingy used to let you know I'm laughing at you.
Again with the soapbox reply that sounds like a google search. Still no actual experience. You've gone from the "Harley is junk" kick to "I really DO like Harleys" and back again to many times to count in this thread alone. Make up your mind. You're right though, to think that "Honda nearly bankrupted HD" 3x all by itself is the very definition of "Kool-Aid".

And again, what is it about someone owning a Harley that makes them not allowed on this(apparently your) forum when they still own a Shadow?

Oh and let's not forget,
<---this is also a smiley; it's an internet thingy used to let you know that I don't give a $hit. Someday you'll come to the realization that the world is laughing at you, not with you.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
actually Honda did nearly bankrupt Harley, they had help though from Suzuki and Yamaha, they did it by selling low ball bikes at below cost, the same thing they did in England before..All the bikes mentioned btw have great models..now.. but where are all those old Hondas? Oh right..poor manufacturing and cheap materials have made the majority of the rides from Jap invasion useless except for the occasional roadside mail boxes.. even the slipshod production values of the AMF Harleys could not kill those models, owners simply worked around the factory flaws and made better bikes out of them..something one could not do with the majority of those old jap bikes of the early to mid sixties.. thing is when you stat talking about this stuff, you should know what you are talking about and the context of it.. it too Honda a LONG LONG time to become a viable contender with Harley, and now they both sit there with good bikes to offer, so instead of bashing most logical folks..JUST RIDE THEIR OWN RIDE.

That's my point Dave, they didn't do it all by themselves as halifax would like to have everyone believe. I'm not putting down Honda in any way, I know they make a great bike, I've owned more than one, and still do. I just don't think one manufacturer is superior to all others, they've all got their strong points, and weaknesses.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it, got any pics yet?

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
That was the first thing I did to my bike too. I gave it a few days, but just couldn't get used to it. None of my bikes ever had one before so it just felt awkward.

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
Yeah, I got one. You can get them just about anywhere. eBay, JCWhitney, Dennis Kirk, most dealers... theres also a spacer you can put behind your front shift fork if you don't want the cap sticking out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.