Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,451 Posts
Made it through page 4. All I gotta say is nice looking bike. Hope you still enjoy it for what it is (ride wise, not the hoopla) as you get some miles on it. Keep in touch and let us know what you think of it from time to time. What you still like, what you've decided you don't like, that kind of stuff. I like to be informed by actual, factual, user comments.

Nice thing thing is you can probably get a good trade in later if you decide you don't like it as much on down the road. And if a year from now you are loving it even more, then GOOD ON YA! Sounds like the bike picked you as it often is. So get to know each other and just ride.

· Registered
1,451 Posts
Motorcycle Magazine bike of the century, out this week. Honda CB 750.

The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum had a card on this 1972 CB750/Four that read, "The motorcycle that changed everything."

And btw, mshipley, that is an absolutely beautiful bike you have there. A lot of sweet bikes on here, but I every time I see that sig pic I have to linger a moment and say to myself, "That is one beautiful motorcycle!"

I find it mildly amusing in a cultural anthropological, sociology observational point of view, this thread is still going on yet contains no content on how the OP is liking his new scoot. If he doesn't have it on the road yet, then it makes it even more amusing.

I should have gone for the Bonneville SE. LOL. Seriously, Honda in general and the Shadow were actually low on my lists when looking for a bike. I thought, BORING! I recalled comparing a Honda and a Yamaha RD350 once back in the late 70s when checking out bikes and the Honda was like riding a log, the RD like a speeding feather that responded to simple thought instantly. That was in the back of my mind when looking now. I just didn't consider Honda cruisers to be much of anything. I'm the guy going, eh, it's a Shadow, nothing special. It's the other guys, including some Harley guys that tell me, "Shadows are great bikes."

Mine picked me and I still had/have to fully fit it to me (floor boards and lower deflectors eventually). The OP's bike seemed to have picked him. There is a lot to be said for that. Knew a guy at my last assignment that bought a HD V-Rod as his first bike because he walked into the showroom with his V-Rod owning friend, and clear across the showroom floor sat a particular V-Rod that practically yanked him across the floor to it. He wouldn't even look at another bike. He's also a bit intimidated by it on the road, but if he survives, he'll learn to ride it well, I hope.

Point being, sometimes a bike just picks you and you live with it, good points and bad. There are times I'd like a bit more set back in the seat when I twist the throttle on the Shadow, times I would like the ability to dig into a hard curve even more without feeling like I was courting trouble, and at times I'd like a bit more weight to deal with wind out on the road instead of getting batted around so much. I'm not totally impressed with the suspension and rear disc brake on the Shadow for that matter. It is adequate, but I'm sure if I hopped on a GL or something like a 1700 Nomad I'd find a lot of the little things on my Shadow that aren't as smooth or refined. No bike is perfect, but if that ride calls to you and it moves you in spirit as well as literally, then you are in the wind and enjoying your own ride.

Riding my bike moves me. I enjoy looking at my bike, other than thinking, "Damn, I really need to wash that thing." However, it still comes down to being a solid, reliable, yet moderate ride. It doesn't scream original (it looks like a slightly scaled HD Heritage Softail Classic) or attitude (unless you are saying, "I like this, it's fun."), it doesn't speak of massive power or ultimate handling, or even maximum ride comfort. It is a middle of the road, nothing mega-exciting cruiser that is enjoyable to ride and you can count on it to get you down the road and back up again. Not saying it isn't nimble or isn't a great bike. Fact is it probably does fine duty for most anyone just wanting to ride and have enough power to ride the highways and pass other traffic when needed. It is plenty of bike in a lot of ways.

But, as enjoyable as it is, even just pleasant to ride, it falls in that place where you say things in reviews like, "It's a nice looking machine that is easy to ride and won't leave you stranded on the side of the road. Nothing special, nothing really stands out. It isn't a particularly exciting ride, but if what you are looking for is just a solid, forgiving ride to just get out and cruise on that won't tax you to ride, then this is the bike for you."

So what if it the OPs bike isn't THE best of everything. None truly are. Is it more expensive? No doubt. Will he have doubts along the way or after he's been on it long enough to figure out some things he doesn't like will he have those thoughts that maybe he should have gotten something else and now he's stuck with it for awhile? Yep. What matters if those little things are little things to him and by and large he just loves being on his machine, being part of it, then he is riding righteous on a bike that is good for him to be on. As long as the bike doesn't break down every week or two and he's getting lots of soul soothing miles under them, it's all good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.