Honda Shadow Forums banner
61 - 80 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
This thread is interesting perspective in personalities. First of all buy the bike YOU like, there is an emotional connection, it is not just transportation. There are a lot of bikes I would like to own not all Honda and a couple are even HD. Given that I have some sympathy for Halifax and his views.

I can not speak for al HD people or HD stores but my experience with my local HD store is they are a bunch of arrogant snobs that treat my like I am priveledged to come in and look at their product. I would not buy any make bike from these people.

On the lighter side this past winter I was looking for some gloves that came up my arm. I could not find any I liked so I stopped at the HD store (against a promise I made myself). The lady handed me a pair that was just what I wanted. I asked the price and she said $185.00. I laughed and she smugly told me they were HD gloves. I showed her the tag that said "made in China" and left the store.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the lighter side this past winter I was looking for some gloves that came up my arm. I could not find any I liked so I stopped at the HD store (against a promise I made myself). The lady handed me a pair that was just what I wanted. I asked the price and she said $185.00. I laughed and she smugly told me they were HD gloves. I showed her the tag that said "made in China" and left the store.
HD certainly is proud of their label, but people will buy it... I was actually at our local dealer a couple of weeks ago getting my shadow inspected, as they're the closest place to my house that does bike inspections. So while I was waiting on them I was wandering around in the showroom. Well, I made my way over to the parts and accessories area where I saw an oil funnell with a long neck for getting it into the tranny. I'd just changed my oil a couple of days before and knew what a pain it was without one, so I picked it up. $6. I put it back down. Later that day I was at Auto Zone. They had the same exact oil funnell, same label and everything, for $1.49. I just had to laugh.

·
Banned
605 Posts
This thread is interesting perspective in personalities. First of all buy the bike YOU like, there is an emotional connection, it is not just transportation. There are a lot of bikes I would like to own not all Honda and a couple are even HD. Given that I have some sympathy for Halifax and his views.

I can not speak for al HD people or HD stores but my experience with my local HD store is they are a bunch of arrogant snobs that treat my like I am priveledged to come in and look at their product. I would not buy any make bike from these people.

True that...the snob thing is a joke with all the Chinese junk HD dealerships are jammed to the rafters with.

( Watson Knuckledusters are the gloves you want, by the way...made in Canada from Genuine Cows...not cat, dog, rat or the other mystery leathers out there....)
Watson Gloves - Products - at Play -KnuckleDuster

I appreciate Quality & Value in all things...if the Quality is there, any emotional connection to the product is more fulfilling.

Likewise...I object to poor quality products, but I especially object to poor quality products posing as "exclusive".

HD motorcycles have great paint and I like the way they use substantial metal in places where Honda uses plastics.

(I replaced my plastic Honda signals with Chris brand metal signals, for example...Chris signals are either the ones HD uses or are dead ringers, but either way, they are a good quality item)

However, beyond the paint and metal crafting...the drivetrain on most HD's is a mess (exception, the Sportster and VRod motors)...the TwinCam is a hot-running, poorly designed thing whose primary objective was to make the motor impossible for S&S and Ultima to replicate (each make a better EVO motor than HD ever made).

Have you looked at the Class Action lawsuit about the thigh-burning heat TC's produce? Drive one sometime in urban traffic.....(Kuryakyn can't keep their smoked plexi heat deflectors in stock!)

Plus, the TC motor sounds thin compared to the EVO and has many throwaway assemblies that cannot be rebuilt, unlike the EVO.

Likewise, the EVO sounds different than a well-sorted Shovel...the "sound" most people in the Target Demographic associate with HD is really that of a 1960's FL Shovel police bike rumbling past at a slow idle in a parade...because that's the first Harley most people heard up close as a child.

But unless you buy an S&S or Ultima shovel clone....most HD shovelhead motors are, by now, cheeseburgers, rebuilt out of a mish mash of several different parts, because they just didn't last that long and HD doesn't support their old motors.

(whereas you can go buy a used Goldwing or CB750 SOHC anytime with the original motor in it, and in many cases, they've never been opened up...PLUS many of the parts are still available at your Honda Dealer.)

That's why most TC Buyers immediately have to go spend another Grand on an exhaust system designed to make their Harley Sound Like a Real Harley...listen to a stock twin cam through stock pipes sometime....pitiful.

The motor is the heart and soul of a motorcycle...and HD's TC motor just isn't very good...and I am CERTAINLY not the first person to say it.

(why would anyone pay nearly double for a bike with a bum motor that makes less power than the Honda built down the road in Ohio? Ohio's in the USA too, right?)

Nobody Ever Regretted Buying Quality

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I feel like a trader. I went to the Harley Store today to pay for my Rider Course. Then I was headed to Honda to check out some Shadows. I didn't make it that far. I fell in love with a Harley. The Harley Softail Slim. Sorry Guys.

;)
So trade it off. Then you won't feel like a traitor.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you have a Harley, WTF are you doing on a Honda owner's forum?
I mean, you dont see me on a Harley Owners forum....wonder why?? Mostly because I DONT OWN A HARLEY.
Because he did from the way I understood it. So what? Just because I can no longer get pregnant doesn't mean I don't occasionally frequent TTC (trying to conceive) forums to offer tips or hints, LMAO!

OP former shadow cum HD rider??? Tell me you bought the gap insurance??
You'll like the bike better if you get hurt and more than half of it get's paid off for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i was thinking about joining a political message board and talk about my fascination of seahorses.

They are quite interesting..

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Because he did from the way I understood it. So what? Just because I can no longer get pregnant doesn't mean I don't occasionally frequent TTC (trying to conceive) forums to offer tips or hints, LMAO!
QUOTE]
Something tells me you do :wink:

to the Op, it is a nice looking ride. not for me but looks good.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'd buy another HD in a minute. About the only thing I don't like about them are the self canceling turns signals, and if your at a light too long, the engine really gets hot to a point it's ready to melt down, or at least it seems like it.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Harley Owners are very forgiving, it seems...I would never buy a new bike that you have to shut down in city traffic for fear of catching yourself on fire or blowing up the motor or both.

The TC b has counterbalancers to reduce vibration and no "wasted spark", so this generation of Harleys neither sounds nor feels like a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Without thousands spent on aftermarket or SE exhaust, breather mods, remapped FI and oil cooling to make a new Harley sound "correct" ...a new stock HD with stock exhausts is a shadow of its former self, pun intended.

They are softer, smoother and quieter...so where is the "thunder"? (it's at the aftermarket supply house at the SE catalog, mostly...)

(...and the rest is in the marketing. HD sells nostalgia and it sells nostalgia better than anyone this side of Happy Days.)

I think it's outrageous that "The Motor Company" is selling such a poorly designed motor...and getting away with it.

Well, at least they were getting away with it.

Judge Rules Harley Bikers May Proceed with Overheating and Burn Lawsuit Against Harley Davidson

A Federal Court Judge has denied a Harley Davidson motion to dismiss Harley bikers' claims for fraudulent and unfair business practices, violations of Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), and unjust enrichment. A class action lawsuit may now go forward against Harley Davidson alleging certain Harley motorcycle engines produce severe, and excessive heat causing burn injuries and clothing to catch on fire.
I mean really...what other vehicles need to be TURNED OFF AT STOPLIGHTS TO AVOID OVERHEATING??? (a ten year old Dodge Neon comes to mind, or a 1982 Renault Alliance)

Twin Cam Design and development problems

In the book The Harley Davidson Century (edited by Darwin Holstrom, Barnes and Noble Press, 2005) Steven Anderson, detailing the Twin Cam story in the chapter "The Twin Cam Era," explains the huge development problems Harley-Davidson had while trying to bring this engine to market.

It's a bum motor. The loyalty of Harley buffs is admirable, but at some point it's okay to love the Company without loving all their products. Companies make mistakes...but that doesn't mean you have to defend the mistake or go buy one.

Sure, kudos to HD for "trying" to build a big displacement air cooled v twin that meets EPA standards, but "trying" when you are a company whose very essence revolves around your Motor...is simply not good enough.

I'd buy another HD in a minute. About the only thing I don't like about them are the self canceling turns signals, and if your at a light too long, the engine really gets hot to a point it's ready to melt down, or at least it seems like it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'd buy another HD in a minute. About the only thing I don't like about them are the self canceling turns signals
Really? I kinda like the self canceling signals. One less thing I need to remember to turn off!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
QUOTE]
Something tells me you do :wink:

to the Op, it is a nice looking ride. not for me but looks good.
So what of it? I'm not getting hired for what little work I can do since my four+ years at a Walfart Distribution center ruined my upper back and neck and then further worsened by a school bus driver slamming into me by making a blind turn from behind another bus.
And it is too damn hot to do what would amount to joy riding therefore spending money I already don't have.

61 - 80 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.