Honda Shadow Forums banner
81 - 100 of 197 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Those are sweet looking! Who cares what you ride as long as it represents you and you like it....I personally couldn't justify spending the cash for a hd anytime soon and the metrics look great and sound great too for less. Id love to have a street glide someday

· Registered
5,688 Posts
Mention a Harley and all of a sudden the thread is 9 pages long. :lol:

Although it's been fun reading the posts I just wanted to say congrats on the bike. It's not my money so I don't give a **** how much you paid for it. Enjoy and ride safe!

· Registered
416 Posts
Well, after 9 pages, Ive got to hand this "win" to Halifax. I think he has made numerous good points, and backed it up with links to news articles. In response, he has gotten insulted (comments about his wife running off with an HD owner.) That is a common fallacy used when someone runs out of ammunition and cannot further defend their own position with anything legitimate. Like a monkey flinging poo.

In the end, as long as the OP enjoys his new ride, thats all that matters. Im more like halifax myself - I would rather pay for reliability. Its one of the reasons I bought a Kawasaki sportbike over a Ducati - WAY less required maintenance, and way cheaper maintenance. Not to mention a cheaper bike to begin with.

I too love the looks of Harleys...but I wont ever own one, due to the price.

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Well, after 9 pages, Ive got to hand this "win" to Halifax. I think he has made numerous good points, and backed it up with links to news articles. In response, he has gotten insulted (comments about his wife running off with an HD owner.) That is a common fallacy used when someone runs out of ammunition and cannot further defend their own position with anything legitimate. Like a monkey flinging poo.

In the end, as long as the OP enjoys his new ride, thats all that matters. Im more like halifax myself - I would rather pay for reliability. Its one of the reasons I bought a Kawasaki sportbike over a Ducati - WAY less required maintenance, and way cheaper maintenance. Not to mention a cheaper bike to begin with.

Hmm..There is not a winner in this type of argument. Choosing a motorcycle is subjective at best. You can argue all you want about the attributes of each brand until the cows come home but there will never be a one right choice.

Take the argument regarding trucks. You will find heated/ passionate arguments about whose brand is “the best”. Metric .vs domestic. Domestic .vs domestic. You could argue that Chevy makes the most advanced truck on the market for the last 30 years or that Ford has the most sales year over year or argue Toyotas dependability. I wanted a Dodge because I think they make a better looking rig than any other brand that sounds like a truck and not a Nissan Leaf. You might disagree with my reasoning but I could care less. I like what I like and you like what you like.

I picked up my HD for what I would call a steal. I could have easily turned the bike for a few thousand dollars profit and that was what I was going to do. Not having any particular allegiance to make or model. It was six of one and half a dozen of the other for me. Once I got that bike out and started riding it, I was hooked. To me it was everything I wanted in a motorcycle, the sound and feel were perfect. I like radiators but not more than the powerful feeling of the motor in my hands.

My neighbor runs a goldwing. I can barley tell when he goes by. It sounds more like something out of the cartoon “the jetsons” than I would like. He love’s it and is getting set to go to his quarterly goldwing rally that includes chapters from four states (hmm no less kool-aid than Hog). He loves his bike and I fell in love with my HD. We like our bikes for very different reasons and that should be just fine for other people. If it’s not, it’s really an emotional or personal growth issue for the individual arguing about it more than anything else.

· Registered
1,506 Posts

I imagine we could all do better, no matter what we purchase, according to someone else. Was Halifax really trying to help, or is he a 'right fighter'; when a person always thinks they are right and wants to battle everyone around him in order to convert them to their way of thinking?

Being right at the expense of another, especially on a public forum, does not constitute a winner.
_________

· Registered
48 Posts
slim

I'd go with a Slim. But used. I never buy anything new. That includes wives. Good lookin bike, but I would have had to go black. Now you can get on EBAY and buy a bunch of Shadow parts for it ha ha ha.

· Registered
116 Posts
Take the argument regarding trucks. You will find heated/ passionatearguments about whose brand is “the best”. Metric .vs domestic. Domestic .vs domestic.You could argue that Chevymakesthe most advanced truck onthe market forthe last 30 years or that Ford hasthe most sales year over year or argue Toyotas dependability. I wanted a Dodge because I thinkthey make a better looking rig than any other brand that sounds like a truck and not a Nissan Leaf.You might disagree with my reasoning but I could care less. I like what I like andyou like whatyou like
HEY, Chevy is the best truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2,145 Posts
Hmm..There is not a winner in this type of argument. Choosing a motorcycle is subjective at best. You can argue all you want about the attributes of each brand until the cows come home but there will never be a one right choice.

Take the argument regarding trucks. You will find heated/ passionate arguments about whose brand is “the best”. Metric .vs domestic. Domestic .vs domestic. You could argue that Chevy makes the most advanced truck on the market for the last 30 years or that Ford has the most sales year over year or argue Toyotas dependability. I wanted a Dodge because I think they make a better looking rig than any other brand that sounds like a truck and not a Nissan Leaf. You might disagree with my reasoning but I could care less. I like what I like and you like what you like.

I picked up my HD for what I would call a steal. I could have easily turned the bike for a few thousand dollars profit and that was what I was going to do. Not having any particular allegiance to make or model. It was six of one and half a dozen of the other for me. Once I got that bike out and started riding it, I was hooked. To me it was everything I wanted in a motorcycle, the sound and feel were perfect. I like radiators but not more than the powerful feeling of the motor in my hands.

My neighbor runs a goldwing. I can barley tell when he goes by. It sounds more like something out of the cartoon “the jetsons” than I would like. He love’s it and is getting set to go to his quarterly goldwing rally that includes chapters from four states (hmm no less kool-aid than Hog). He loves his bike and I fell in love with my HD. We like our bikes for very different reasons and that should be just fine for other people. If it’s not, it’s really an emotional or personal growth issue for the individual arguing about it more than anything else.
Best post of the entire thread.

· Banned
605 Posts
I imagine we could all do better, no matter what we purchase, according to someone else. Was Halifax really trying to help, or is he a 'right fighter'; when a person always thinks they are right and wants to battle everyone around him in order to convert them to their way of thinking?

Being right at the expense of another, especially on a public forum, does not constitute a winner.
_________

I agree; expressing/discussing isn't about "winning"....unless you're Charlie Sheen (ha).

The OP directly or indirectly sought our thoughts on his decision.

My thinking is that nobody buys a Harley to experience engineering excellence...you buy a Harley to get in on the Brand message and ride a new interpretation of a traditional/antique American motorcycle.

I think I articulated my views clearly and factually...my views are shared by motorcycle critics/reviewers, owners groups in class action lawsuits, etc...it's not just some guy ranting on a message board.

And I don't think I even mentioned the cam chain adjuster pad issue, did I?

I don't hate Harleys, I like them a lot....I just don't see any point in pretending the TC is a good motor. It's not.

Same thing with the Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 motors....they used plastic oil pump gears for several years and it wasn't until lots of them blew up that they changed the design. Bum motor design.

Or the Victory 92SC...ever read about the transmissions on those things? Scary! Bum design.

I don't hate Kawasakis or Victorys either.

· Registered
253 Posts
Wow!---Quite a thread---The bike of choice has got to fit you---And which ever one fits you the best is the way you should go---I was looking at new bikes and the Yamaha Styker caught my eye---They were having demo rides so I mounted one of them up---They went for an unusually long and hard ride---We were doing some really curving roads at 50-55 mph---I wasn't used to the bike and it had me puckered up---But after riding with them I did the same ride on my bike and was so much more comfortable on it and would rather have it verses the Stryker---So it's got to fit you and make you smile, (not others).

Kenny

81 - 100 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.