Honda Shadow Forums banner
121 - 140 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
TC's are lemons??? Filthy Lies!Turning off your Big Twin at stoplights on a hot day is nothing new and not exclusive to TC's...Harleys are modern antiques, as are Royal Enfields.

Actually, with Enfield & Harley both building bikes in India, RE could easily be the new Buell.

Halifax!!
You dare to mention the name Royal Enfield with Harley. Shame:shock:
Everyone knows that Harley are just a bucket of bolts compared to the majesty of Royal Enfield.
Why.. Kings, Dukes and other people of substance ride Enfields, while everyone knows it is only wannabe gang members that ride Harleys.

One more thing..Royal Enfield don't make "antique" bikes..it's just that the chap who updates the plans on the factory floor died 70 years ago, and hasn't been replaced yet.
Good things take time.:wink::-D

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
Yes, I will cheerfully "run down" anyone's decision to drop in here and wave their new Harley around.

Buying a Harley is always a poor decision compared to almost any other bike, because you are paying a huge premium to belong to their imaginary club.

It's like buying a Cadillac and expecting your life to become better...total consumer marketing nonsense aimed squarely at suckers.

Honda makes a superior quality product in every segment it does business in...if you want a top-notch generator, you want a Honda...lawnmower? Honda....outboard motor? Honda....cars, motorcycles, ATV's, power equipment...everything Honda makes is reliable and represents excellent value.

Harley Davidson motorcycles are, as I said earlier, wonderful old farm implements. They are iconic in the same way that a (real) Jeep is iconic...and like buying a soft-top Jeep, it's just a dumb idea, one the little boy inside tells you is a good idea.

HD is a marketing company peddling a dream....that part, the dream selling...they do really well.

Their motorcycles are really just props for HD Merchandise & Accessories...you see it all the time, two idjits on a Harley wearing thousands of dollars of Chinese-made HD logowear with big angry slogans about the American Dream. Is there anything more pathetic?

And they're nice props....too bad they didn't spend as much time making their motors as high quality as their paint jobs. (snigger)

So who exactly is in the 'imaginary club'?

·
Banned
605 Posts
So who exactly is in the 'imaginary club'?
You have to Buy a Rivet to find out, man.

WHY A RIVET?
A rivet is one of the strongest bonds around, connecting everything from I-beams to your favorite blue jeans. But it’s more than a fastener. It's also a symbol of the bonds of Harley-Davidson brotherhood and sisterhood, whose approach to living is a pure, undiluted devotion to something bigger.

Living the Legend™ rivets are made of a tough, electropolished stainless steel and are available in 3" and 6" sizes. Show the world exactly where you stand by customizing a rivet with your personal message.

Living the Legend rivets are displayed on a curved steel wall or a special plaza throughout the grounds of the Harley-Davidson Museum®. And remember, because your rivet will be displayed on the grounds, it will be exposed to the outdoor elements, taking on whatever nature throws at it.

Rivets are available for individuals, dealers and H.O.G. Chapters.

INDIVIDUAL 3" OR 6" RIVET
You have Harley-Davidson stories and experiences all your own. Your story should be etched in stone or, better yet, engraved in steel to ensure its place in history.

INDIVIDUAL 3" RIVET
$250 each
Download Order Form (PDF)

INDIVIDUAL 6" RIVET
$1,500 each

DEALER AND H.O.G.® CHAPTER RIVET
Your dealership and H.O.G. Chapter involvement is more than a job – it’s a way of life.

DEALER AND H.O.G.® CHAPTER RIVET
$1,500 each
Buy a Rivet at the Harley-Davidson Museum® | Harley-Davidson USA

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Buying a Harley is always a poor decision compared to almost any other bike, because you are paying a huge premium to belong to their imaginary club.
There's nothing imaginary there, or even unique. You donate to the museum, you have your name added as a contributer. We have a local art museum that does the same kind of thing. Donate, and your name is engraved into one of the bricks in the main hall of the museum. Not a new idea and nothing new under the sun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
And speaking of HD, whats with the FORD truck HD model?? Why the heck?
Ford and HD were founded the same year, and frequently team up on ventures. For example, for HD's 105th anniversary Ford lent them a collection of vintage tools.

That said, while most would argue the HD F series is just badging, I'd invite those people to go test drive one, the entire interior is gutted and modified, I dont even own a Harley and I want that truck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I need to make a flow chart for threads that mention Harley. There could be some comedy gold in there.

What irks me the most has been brought up here numerous times. Some non-HD riders hate that HD riders look down their noses at them. I don't doubt that it happens. Hell I've seen it happen. Does that make it right to return the favor? Hypocrisy at its finest.

And before Halifax adds another "But I like HD, I really do" disclaimer I'd like to thank all the other Honda riders that have been kind to me as an evil HD owner.

And for Halifax, it makes me feel so validated knowing the three grand I dropped on my Sportster wasn't entirely wasted because I now belong to an imaginary club. Wait, that's the reason I bought the bike, right? Shoot, gotta go. My bike needs another $400 oil change and I can't do it myself because I don't want to get oil on all my Chinese made t-shirts. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
605 Posts
HD are Marketing Geniuses, they really are.

Taking an obsolete product and transforming its faults into benefits is pure sorcery.

Bad products and worse management have nearly dragged the company into bankruptcy at least two times (that we know of.)

Marketing kept HD alive and led to its resurgence...not product, not management, not innovation, not quality, not reliability...Marketing.

Mom, apple pie, Jeeps, Levis, Harley, Coke, baseball, hot dogs, the girl next door...there are a few things that say "US of A" without words and a Harley is one of those things.

With that in mind, please don't confuse my disdain for the actual product's shortcomings with anything else...my disdain is limited to product quality.

Yes, I also laugh at the way Harley has assimilated "biker culture' and stamped its logo all over it...because it's great Marketing and the Customers have become HD's props.

I am pro-Harley and pro-American...I think the bikes need some work, their customers don't get good value for their money and their marketing plays people for fools in the little Marlborough Man fantasy world they've created...but that's all said with a smile, because it's all wonderful entertainment for the buyers... and those of us who enjoy smirking at accountants in bandanas and chaps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am pro-Harley and pro-American...I think the bikes need some work, their customers don't get good value for their money and their marketing plays people for fools in the little Marlborough Man fantasy world they've created...but that's all said with a smile, because it's all wonderful entertainment for the buyers... and those of us who enjoy smirking at accountants in bandanas and chaps.
I can agree with some of that. But why is it wrong for those accountants to spend their money on gear and a brand that brings them satisfaction? If they want the "inferior" product more power to them (or to HDs marketing department).

Mercedes and BMW did this for years.

My only problem is that you tend to widely categorize everyone who owns or has owned HD into this stereotype. We're not all idiots that know nothing about machinery or quality. We're not all wealthy types that only ride at rallys. Some of us don't even look down on other brands. :shock: If I took your point of argument and applied to to Honda I could complain all day about how much work we've had to do on the wife's shadow while my HD runs like a champ all day long. That's totally circumstantial but it's the ire that rings through.

I understand where you're coming from but it's not always what you say but how you say it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wow 13 pages and no one said it, revue it, if i am looking to buy a new pc i revue it i want to know what the owners know ,i have owned ,Honda, suzuki,Kawasaki,Yamaha,Harley,and even a china scooter,.
HONDA IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME,can i afford a harley ...sure,can i afford to have it updated...sure, i can even afford to have it fixed...when it breaks down(not if),
they all break down! i Hate harley , and i Love Honda, cuz i want to ride without wondering if i am going to make it back home that day, can that happen with my Honda's ...sure, but not near as often.i read what owners have to say on anything i buy, then make my choice,it's just plain stupid to do otherwise!

·
Registered
300 Posts
wow 13 pages and no one said it, revue it, if i am looking to buy a new pc i revue it i want to know what the owners know ,i have owned ,Honda, suzuki,Kawasaki,Yamaha,Harley,and even a china scooter,.
HONDA IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME,can i afford a harley ...sure,can i afford to have it updated...sure, i can even afford to have it fixed...when it breaks down(not if),
they all break down! i Hate harley , and i Love Honda, cuz i want to ride without wondering if i am going to make it back home that day, can that happen with my Honda's ...sure, but not near as often.i read what owners have to say on anything i buy, then make my choice,it's just plain stupid to do otherwise!

Not sure if trolling... But...

While that may be true for you as an experience I can tell you mine has been the exact opposite. Did I mention that the Honda is an '84 and the Harley is an '05? Nope, it goes against my argument. See what I mean?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not sure if trolling... But...

While that may be true for you as an experience I can tell you mine has been the exact opposite. Did I mention that the Honda is an '84 and the Harley is an '05? Nope, it goes against my argument. See what I mean?
Agreed. Funny I joined this forum because of the technical advice. Not as many years between my two bikes as yours. I loved my shadow but the damn thing took more work to keep running than my first beater car. It only had 7k miles but was a pain to keep on the road from the moment I bought it. Now the Harley has not let me down yet. Again all subjective.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Exactly. I'm a wrencher by nature. The VT700 didn't even run when we bought it. These forums have been a wealth of knowledge. And after many weeks of technical posts I found myself browsing around and taking part in the general discussion areas.

I spend almost zero time on HD forums for the same reason I spend little time on large sports forums. It's not for distaste of the subject matter but for distaste in the masses. Lots of people online these days that I have little in common with, even on interest specific forums. It's like having your small group of select friends that you're close with as opposed to hundreds of friends you know little about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like someone else had mentioned earlier I did alot of research b4 buying my bike. Read many reviews, and talked to numberous mechanics and motorcycle service departments. They all said the same thing that value aside the most dependable, maintainance free bike on the market today was the shaft driven shadows. I'll admit I've always wanted a softail fatboy for all the reasons mentioned... US made, look, sound, & prestige. In the end I fought off the urge to spend an extra 10k. LoL Truth is half the people that walk over to admire my beautiful water cooled beast thought is was a Harley:-D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Exactly. I'm a wrencher by nature. The VT700 didn't even run when we bought it. These forums have been a wealth of knowledge. And after many weeks of technical posts I found myself browsing around and taking part in the general discussion areas.

I spend almost zero time on HD forums for the same reason I spend little time on large sports forums. It's not for distaste of the subject matter but for distaste in the masses. Lots of people online these days that I have little in common with, even on interest specific forums. It's like having your small group of select friends that you're close with as opposed to hundreds of friends you know little about.
That’s funny. I joined an HD forum thinking tech help and rarely spend time there. So far I haven’t needed much advice. I did the same as you, in that, I started in the tech on this forum and moved on to the other discussion threads. I found them interesting. So I thought I would stick around.

Wow, you all still trying to make out of Halifax?
What is this Halifax you are speaking of? Ok I’m just kidding:wink:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Like someone else had mentioned earlier I did alot of research b4 buying my bike. Read many reviews, and talked to numberous mechanics and motorcycle service departments. They all said the same thing that value aside the most dependable, maintainance free bike on the market today was the shaft driven shadows. I'll admit I've always wanted a softail fatboy for all the reasons mentioned... US made, look, sound, & prestige. In the end I fought off the urge to spend an extra 10k. LoL Truth is half the people that walk over to admire my beautiful water cooled beast thought is was a Harley:-D
Happened with my shadow too. People who don't ride think everything is an HD. If they were friends or family, I would sometimes correct them . Random strangers just not worth trying to explain. I would just say thanks and keep riding.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
I do admit I could of saved a ton of money buying the Honda Shadow like I originally planned, but its not what I wanted in the end. Back in 1991 all I wanted was that Honda Shadow that I fail in love with. Now I fail in love with a Harley. Not the club or the name but the Softail Slim. I admit the name and club is a bonus, but not the reason.

I know no matter what I buy of anything in any walk of life there will always be someone who will put it down. Years ago I drove a Chevy truck. Hated Fords, and gave people a hard time who drove fords. I am now on my fourth Ford Truck.

I also own a Ford Fusion now which I really Love.

Point is. What is right for me may not be right for you, may not be right for many people, but I love my machines. In the end that's all that really matters. They all run great and I love them. I am glad my post has provided so much entertainment, really I am. I have read every post. Sometimes with a smile, and a lot with laughter. Yes its been very entertaining for me as well. Comparing, and arguing over our machines is something we as Americans have the privilege of doing. Long before the internet we have always done this. Now we just do it on a much larger scale. I remember way back when in the military when I had my Chevy, and my buddy had a Ford we would go back and forth about it. Its all part of the fun. So thanks for the fun guys.:lol:

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
You drive a FORD?? :shock: And to think I defended you,

Just kiddin', my first truck was an F-150.

121 - 140 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.