Honda Shadow Forums banner

I feel like a trader.

28K views 196 replies 67 participants last post by  GPSchmidt 
#1 ·
I feel like a trader. I went to the Harley Store today to pay for my Rider Course. Then I was headed to Honda to check out some Shadows. I didn't make it that far. I fell in love with a Harley. The Harley Softail Slim. Sorry Guys.

;)

See less See more
#13 ·
Considering it's over twice the size I'd sure hope so.

#9 ·
I feel like a trader. I went to the Harley Store today to pay for my Rider Course. Then I was headed to Honda to check out some Shadows. I didn't make it that far. I fell in love with a Harley. The Harley Softail Slim. Sorry Guys.

Its alot more but wow I love it. I have raised my kids and its just time for me to spoil me. LOL

traitor* and a lot* in the next post Harleys are nice bikes but I don't know why you would post this in a shadow forum?

#10 ·
Well, since you came to a Honda Owner Group (HOG) after 7 posts to tell us you bought a Harley instead of a Honda, you shouldn't mind if we critique your decision, right?

Where to start...motor. The HD has a Big Twin twin cam in it, 1687cc's minimum.

Honda doesn't make anything V Twin that big anymore, but if there were a leftover VTX 1800 at a Honda dealer, I promise you it would be faster, nastier, tourquier, more reliable and less expensive to run and maintain.

Even the 1300 Stateside or Fury would be as fast/quick or very close to it.

The Softail with stock exhaust is no louder than the Honda 1800. Vance and Hines each of them and the sound Honda will scare more people than the Harley...that VTX 1800 is a monster.

Suspension...hopefully you are 180lbs or less; otherwise you will find the Softail suspension inadequate and will have to upgrade those (pricey) trick shocks. Even when tweaked, Softails are the least comfortable platform HD makes.

But yes, Softails all look cool, all 564 variations they make of the platform...nobody "nicklebacks" (my euphemism, you can use it) themselves better than HD...there are waymore Softail models than there were Shadow models, for example.

So, you are buying a low-powered, expensive (in every way measurable) imitation of a Harley Davidson motorcycle...a twin cam motor with a huge list of defects in its design and a truly uncomfortable rear suspension with a decent front end, thanks to Showa (Japan).

Obviously a poor decision on the metrics.

Harleys are sold by the creation of yearning for a classic American Motorcycle and the wistful desire to relive a simpler time.

And for that experience, you will pay. Oh yes, you will pay.

Harleys are wonderful old tractors wrapped up in great Marketing & Advertising.

You'll feel cool and superior and have a sense of prestige and rebel status every time you tool down your street on that baby.

Honda doesn't make anything like a HD Softail.

Personally, I'd buy a Dyna before a Softail in a heartbeat...and it would be a carb fed Evo, not a TC. But that's just me.

But in terms of a good comparison, you should go ride a Victory before you buy a Harley....Victory's 106 motor is simply a superior motor to the TC 103.

Have fun!

#12 ·
Wow, you truly have no clue what you're talking about do you? 3/4 of your points are complete bull$hit and the other 1/4 sounds like something you found with google.

#14 ·
That's a nice looking scoot. I would buy it. Haven't searched it out but does it come with a solo seat only?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

#18 ·
Seems to me that if someone likes a bike it makes very little difference if someone else does or not. I probably wouldn't buy a Harley but don't short sell them. They make really good bikes. There is nothing made that can compare to the options to customize them. They have stayed very true to their origions. Many companies make bikes that do things better but line them up and people notice the Harley. Nothing sounds like a Harley. BTW, that is a nice looking bike. Enjoy it and stick around to let us know how it works out.

#19 · (Edited)
LOL WOW my head is spinning after that lecture. I do appreciate the constructive criticism though. Thanks :-D Uhm I didn't see the second page of comments. WOW didn't mean to start an argument. I do still like the looks of Shadows and lots of other bikes when I saw this bike though I don't know I just had to have it. I agree with gmck. We all love our bikes so lets just ride and enjoy. Oh and its not really able to carry a passenger. There is a small seat you can get but still no place for a passenger to put there feet. Not really looking to ride a passenger. Its just something for me to enjoy cruising around on when I am not working and I work alot. Again Thanks for All the comments and I love all the pictures of your bikes.

#27 ·
ANY time you bring up H-D vs Any Other Motorcycle, it starts an argument.

Personally, I don't care for that particular model of Softtail, but to each his own.

I ride a Shadow now, I will be riding it for quite a few years, time, money, and circumstances permitting. Whenever I go to buy a new bike, I plan to pay cash for it. The payments that I was making on the Shadow still go to the same savings account now that the bike is paid off. Eventually I will be able to "cash out".

When I do go to buy a new bike, the chief consideration will be the look of the bike, coupled with the ergonomics...or how the bike "feels" when I am riding it. The biggest turn-off for me in the Honda line-up is that all the new "big" bikes look like they were designed by Orange County Choppers, and I like the old-school full-fendered dripping with chrome look, and right now, H-D corners the market for that.

Bottom line, ride what you want, and to hell with what anyone else says.

#20 ·
That's a nice looking bike. I don't consider you a traitor. You chose a bike that jumped out at you as if to say, "I'm yours for the riding." I find it ludicrous that some folks have to jump on here and start bashing bike brands. Ride a Dyna over a Softail? Maybe...as it depends upon the model of the Softail. My FLSTC vibrates a bit but is as comfortable as my favorite recliner. My wife's Shadow VT1100C is one smooth ride. We just got back from a 2600 mile road trip to the East coast. My wife loves her bike; I love mine and we both appreciate anyone who rides...no matter the make/model. You ride that new ride and enjoy two-wheeling down the road. To me, that's what it is all about. As always and above all...ride safe.

#23 ·
My Brother just went to the dark side with a new 2012 Harley wide glide and we went riding the other day. It is a super looking bike and goes like all get out and he likes it so it's OK by me. I can't see having a 6 speed bike that you can never use 6th gear but if that's what he wants??? For me the harder smalller seat and pillion pad would never cut it and I don't much care for the Harley vibration but if you have to have the ambiance and are willing to pay for it moore power to you. If I had the money I would have Jay leno's Garage with one of everyting I have ever had over the years from Moto Guzzi to MoPed !

#28 ·
I BOUGHT my Shadow on the way home from the Harley Dealer. Where I had just placed an order for a brand new built to order Sporty. Yeah I saved almost $10k, but that is not why I got the Shadow instead.

I knew going in that the Harley had more potential. Lack of aftermarket for the VT1100 alone is worth that $10k. But the Shadow fit me better. At the time I was looking for a bike that would keep me out of trouble. Slow enough that I wouldn't be tempted to go racing. Fast enough that I could go racing, and win. Comfortable enough to ride 1000 mile every weekend. Dependable enough to commute 50-100 miles/day at least 3 days a week.

#29 · (Edited)
LOL. This entire threads reminds me of the Playstation fanboys getting on Xbox forums and asking "Which is better? PS3 or Xbox 360?" and then flaming anyone who votes for the Xbox.

If you have a Harley, WTF are you doing on a Honda owner's forum?
I mean, you dont see me on a Harley Owners forum....wonder why?? Mostly because I DONT OWN A HARLEY.

Im not saying you arent welcome to this forum - its an open forum. But to come on here and then get into an argument over which is better is freaking RIDICULOUS. This is a HONDA sight. 98% of the members are going to be biased towards HONDA since they own HONDAS. And the few Harley owners on here prove the point, being biased towards their HARLEYS.

We are humans. Humans are biased creatures. Quit arguing over a completely subjective opinion, as it is a waste of energy.

#31 ·
Well the OP had full intentions of buying a Honda when he joined here. He simply came back wanting to share his new purchase. He in no way came in here saying he bought a superior bike by any means, he simply stated he went a different direction. It was others that decided to chime in and run down his choice in manufacturer to make them feel better about their own shortcomings.

As far as the rest of the Harley owners that are on here, from what I can tell, they either still own a Shadow, or owned one previously. That's why they're (we're) here.

#30 ·
Congrats on the new ride. I'm behind you 100%. There is just something about a hd that makes my loins tingle. If I had the money to dump into a new bike I'd be on my way to the local hd store. Until then my favorite bike is the one between my legs.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com App

#38 · (Edited)
Thanks.

I've been listening to dummies on Harleys talk trash about Hondas for nearly 50 years, when the fact is that Honda makes a better product.

HD is primarily a marketing company...this shift from selling bikes to selling logos, selling "the dream"...will continue as HD riders get older and drop away. (think Oldsmobile...eventually, the HD brand will die)

Playboy makes more money off Licensing their Logo than from the magazine itself. Motorhead makes more money now from Licensing its logo than they do from their music. The Rolling Stones Licensing revenues are a HUGE piece of Mick & Keef's cash flow.

The Harley-Davidson corporation's ability to evangelize the Harley lifestyle without alienating a customer-base which prides itself on being free-spirited and countercultural has been a testament to its marketing shrewdness.

The Trademark Registrability of the Harley-Davidson Roar: A Multimedia Analysis
Fact is, I think HD motorcycles are cool...so are Playboy, Motorhead and the Stones.

What amazes me is how HD Owners all drink the Kool-Aid...they actually believe that "brotherhood, American Made, legendary" crap.

That part, frankly, I find funny.

As is my right...right? You Harley guys believe in "freedom", or say you do...

I am free to express my disdain for the overpriced junk HD is selling.

Your old lady run off with a Harley owner or something? Cause that would make more sense than your gibberish.
Drink your Kool-Aid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.