Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 13 months of almost daily riding and never leaving the key on, I came out to the garage today only to see my headlight shining at me. Pushed the start button and got the dreaded clicking of not enough juice. Thank goodness I live at the top of a hill! Pop start with the clutch and all is well. Let the jokes commence, I deserve it today! :p

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
405 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, but I nearly got killed because of a low battery.

My old Spirit 750 had a low battery but I needed to go see my girlfriend in Maryland, approximately 60 miles away, so I pop started it and went on my way. Had a nice day, popstarted it and began to return home. Ran out of fuel along the way and (wearing gloves) couldn't flip the petcock to reserve, so I pulled over and flipped it, then went to start the bike and it wouldn't start. I was on a small hill and tried popstarting it half a dozen times and none of them did it. I called for help and waited, tapping my brake to make my bike more visible to traffic (10:30pm). A few minutes later, a car drove onto the shoulder, hit me, and drove off. Broke everything in my leg and the doctors say if I hadn't been wearing steel toes they probably would've had to amputate.

All this to say congratulations on getting to and from safely, but get that battery filled up ASAP because the same situation nearly ended my life.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts

My old Spirit 750 had a low battery but I needed to go see my girlfriend in Maryland, approximately 60 miles away, so I pop started it and went on my way. Had a nice day, popstarted it and began to return home. Ran out of fuel along the way and (wearing gloves) couldn't flip the petcock to reserve, so I pulled over and flipped it, then went to start the bike and it wouldn't start. I was on a small hill and tried popstarting it half a dozen times and none of them did it. I called for help and waited, tapping my brake to make my bike more visible to traffic (10:30pm). A few minutes later, a car drove onto the shoulder, hit me, and drove off. Broke everything in my leg and the doctors say if I hadn't been wearing steel toes they probably would've had to amputate.

All this to say congratulations on getting to and from safely, but get that battery filled up ASAP because the same situation nearly ended my life.
Wow , .. Glad your still with us to tell that story, Ride Safe. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for telling that story. I went and rode around for a bit, stopped for gas, and the bike fired right up with the electric starter. However U do have it on a charger now for the night. Glad you are ok.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
After 13 months of almost daily riding and never leaving the key on, I came out to the garage today only to see my headlight shining at me. Pushed the start button and got the dreaded clicking of not enough juice. Thank goodness I live at the top of a hill! Pop start with the clutch and all is well. Let the jokes commence, I deserve it today! :p

It's the BEST reason to use the ignition key to turn off ones Bike every time......

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the BEST reason to use the ignition key to turn off ones Bike every time......
My normal habit is kickstand down, get off bike, turn off key. Not sure what happened between, getting off bike and turning off key... I think the wife was talking to me and I took off my helmet so I could hear her. Taking off helmet always comes after turning off key, so I think I short circuited my routine!

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
My normal habit is kickstand down, get off bike, turn off key. Not sure what happened between, getting off bike and turning off key... I think the wife was talking to me and I took off my helmet so I could hear her. Taking off helmet always comes after turning off key, so I think I short circuited my routine!

Mine is: Put Bike in Neutral, Put Kickstand Down, Turn ignition Key Off,
Remove key, Lock Handlebars, stand up, put Key in pocket, Dismount Bike.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Batteries do not like complete discharges. It reduces it's functional life. Charge the battery up and pay close attention to it thereafter. I would even have the battery professionally tested. Getting stranded sucks but these bikes also do not run right with the battery not fully charged.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
My key won't come out of the ignition unless I turn everything completely off.

You don't leave the keys in the bike, do you? Even in a garage....your bike can get lifted.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My key won't come out of the ignition unless I turn everything completely off.

You don't leave the keys in the bike, do you? Even in a garage....your bike can get lifted.
I actually do leave the key in the bike when its in my garage. Theft isn't really an issue where I live. My neighbor leaves his garage door open all night sometimes and has never had anything stolen.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I actually do leave the key in the bike when its in my garage. Theft isn't really an issue where I live. My neighbor leaves his garage door open all night sometimes and has never had anything stolen.

I do the same as well. Like southern OC, here in Los Alamitos, crime is not that great a concern. Besides, if someone is stupid enough and decides to break into my house/garage, then they will be leaving with a few extra holes in them than they came in with.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Similar to some of these storys. I keep my bike on a trickle over night, I hadn't been taking my 1100 aero out but around the corner at this time. I had no idea my battery was starting to crap out on me untill one sunny saturday I decided to go for a ride accross 4 cities. Half way going down the highway all electronics drop. Speedo, lights everything. The bike was barely running off the stator and what ever was left in the battery. I pulled over in a flat area and turned the bike off. After looking over it and didn't see any fires lol I tried to start it. Not a damn thing lights came on for a second then dimmed out. Not even the dreaded click. Without any hills around I had to call for a tow

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My routine is: take hands off handlebars, lift helmet visor (if I'm wearing one),
take off gloves (if I'm wearing them), stand up, fart (if I've eaten at Fat Burger);
check my underwear (if I've farted) ((and if I have farted turn off ignition immediately
to prevent an explosion)), establish bike firmly on sidestand; switch off turn signal
(if still on from nine turns ago), greet the dog (that I almost ran over coming up
the driveway), check the mail, water the plants, get back on the bike and head back
over to Fat Burger for the burger I ordered and forgot to eat.

What was the question?

or was there one??

;-)

·
Registered
11,102 Posts

Roger that. I lived in an area that cost me two push mowers that were chained up outside.......I lock every door as soon as I close it.

Wish I could get that 'erased' from my psyche....I live in an ok place now, but I still obsess over locking stuff up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts