Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man! Winter has barley got started and I'm praying for spring... The reviews on the MT66 are outstanding. I don't think I've found a negative, at all. Love them and can't wait to hit the road and test them out...

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am looking at these as well! I have read a ton about them. It's odd, my 2006 has Bridgestone's. I have hardly heard anything about Bridgestone's here. At 8 years old now and almost 3000 total miles, the dang things look brand new for a garage kept bike. But I am looking at changing them out next summer to MT66's. My Wife should be riding good by then and I want her to have some great tires. My new HD should come with some new tires when I get it. LOL

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I bet they are Excellent Tires. Congrats

With Pirelli owning Metzeler i am sure they are drawing on all the good stuff in how to make Motorcycle Tires, in fact those Pirellis look like Metzelers with a different pattern.

Point is they are pretty much guaranteed to perform well.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Pirelli is "my Drug of choice" = Good traction, wet or dry!!!!

I`ve gotten 14,000 each from two sets I`ve run...
I`m trying to figure why I Only got 10,000 outta the last set though???
I wonder IF when Metzler took over, if they went with a softer compound???
I didn`t notice any handling change, only mileage???

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

I`m rough on tires!!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I am looking at these as well! I have read a ton about them. It's odd, my 2006 has Bridgestone's. I have hardly heard anything about Bridgestone's here. At 8 years old now and almost 3000 total miles, the dang things look brand new for a garage kept bike. But I am looking at changing them out next summer to MT66's. My Wife should be riding good by then and I want her to have some great tires. My new HD should come with some new tires when I get it. LOL
My aero had those bridgestones "exerdeas" as well, 7300mi and the rear had the chord showing in a spot. 11,000 on the front.

Then I put a MT66 on the front, killed it in 6800mi. just to the wear bars. (yea, I've kept record) and it handled terrible and coupped bad the last 300mi. (always kept proper psi) other than the low mileage and bad handling at the end it was a sticky tire and a great in the rain. No front tire should get that low of mileage, from what I've seen on cruiser motorcycles

Then I went to Commander II's that are still on the bike, and still look new, lots more tread than most tires. They handle great, very sticky to the point that the 750 aero couldnt hardly break the rear loose from a stop unless you're really flogging it and lean forward to take some weight off it. So I plan to get Commander II's when the OEM "scorcher 31's" wear out on my new bike, but Pirelli is tempting me with the Night dragons that are suppose to be sticky, but I need some mileage too as I commute with my bike. So with the Commander II's being the best all around IMO its hard to suggest or even warrant trying another tire. But I will give the Pirelli Night dragons a chance if I dislike the commander II's on my new bike. The factory tire isnt going to make 5500mi, I'm at 4350mi now and it's getting slim.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Man! Winter has barley got started and I'm praying for spring... The reviews on the MT66 are outstanding. I don't think I've found a negative, at all. Love them and can't wait to hit the road and test them out...
Same reason that I bought the MT66 rear and ready to place an order for the front tire with American Tire with some of my OT paycheck.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,018 Posts
my mt 66s are awesome! old man shadow you will love em!

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts

You will be pleased.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,154 Posts
I echo all the comments about the Pirelli MT66! I got them on my '07 Aero 750 and love them! Granted, I have only about 5,000 miles on them so far, and they still look brand new!

I've said it before... Pirelli MT66 = the best "bang for the buck" motorcycle tire! :cool:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've go my MT66 tire sitting here in my man cave and there starting to make me think about the ride. But that,s 5 months away. :-(

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
I already said "I`m rough on tires."
My first replacement, I went with what was on it when I bought it at 40,000 miles, which was Bridgestone G series, I got 10,000 from that set...
Then replaced them with another set for 10,000...
I then went with Metzlers and got 14,000...
Next I tried Pirelli with 14,000 on them too...(twice)
I had been hearing the Michelin were high mileage tires so tried them and got 12,500 with a rear out of round and sliding to a stop on a few occasions...
However my buddy put on a set the same time on his Ultra and is just now getting to the point he needs tires @ 25,000+ miles???
Then I went Back to Pirelli for 10,000 on that set...
What with No Honda Buck$ to spend, I had a set of Shinko on my Magna which is sitting, so I made use of these and riding on them now...
"Jack Rabbit Starts" my buddy says and I brake hard also, I`m rough on tires :D

EDIT>
Yeah, that adds up :D
I had to double check myself, Old Timers kicks in fairly regularly nowadays...
122,000 on the clock...
Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I already said "I`m rough on tires."
My first replacement, I went with what was on it when I bought it at 40,000 miles, which was Bridgestone G series, I got 10,000 from that set...
Then replaced them with another set for 10,000...
I then went with Metzlers and got 14,000...
Next I tried Pirelli with 14,000 on them too...(twice)
I had been hearing the Michelin were high mileage tires so tried them and got 12,500 with a rear out of round and sliding to a stop on a few occasions...
However my buddy put on a set the same time on his Ultra and is just now getting to the point he needs tires @ 25,000+ miles???
Then I went Back to Pirelli for 10,000 on that set...
What with No Honda Buck$ to spend, I had a set of Shinko on my Magna which is sitting, so I made use of these and riding on them now...
"Jack Rabbit Starts" my buddy says and I brake hard also, I`m rough on tires :D

EDIT>
Yeah, that adds up :D
I had to double check myself, Old Timers kicks in fairly regularly nowadays...
122,000 on the clock...
Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis
I'm also rough on tires, I have yet to see any rear tire break 10,000mi on a bike I've ridden. And NO I dont just sit in parking lots doing burnouts. all from real riding stop and go, and aggressive two lane riding. And I havent killed the set of commander II's yet, not enough miles but tread depth with the same riding is still there and they still look like they're new.

although I've done quite a few burnouts on the new bike just because I ride it even harder and when making some WOT pulls it has no trouble breaking the rear tire loose while shifting into 2nd gear, and a chirp into 3rd. So I do tend to cause a lot of tire wear with hard acceleration. but even with the abuse this Michelin scorcher will last 5000mi. The front I dont expect to last more than 10,000, I'm using the whole tread with on a 100/90/19 and often get into some peg scraping corners and ride lots of twisty roads when ever I'm not commuting.

I'd imagine if I just sat on the highway all day tires would easily go 15,000mi for me, there isnt near the tire heat just on a straight line highway as there is when you start working the corners, and I'm sure you know when rubber heats up it gets softer.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I put mt 66 on my bike last season. I immediately noticed that unlike the dunlops I wasn't tracking tar snakes and had better traction on grooved highways. So far they are great, but I didn't mind the dunlops, i got 13000 km on them but the mt 66 is a better tire alround.

Dingo.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know, I would love to comment on the MT66 traction, handling and wear... But not for the next 5 months.. O! BTW.. The new tires, sitting in my man cave. I got home from work.... And I thought I was walking into a tire plant.. I used to retread tires for a living, and I know how strong new tires can smell.. Oldtimers... I completely forgot about that! There out in the bike condo now.. The windows open.. Getting cold....

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
I just got word yesterday, Chickenman done ordered and has his tires at his house, SO> it won`t be long before I gotta change them for him... :D $$ :D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I have a set of MT66's on the Rebel. Great tires but, watch the tire pressure. At around 8000 miles the center tread of the rear began to feather slightly and I began to notice a wiggle when cornering. I took the bike to the dealer I bought it from and had them look at it thinking maybe the steering head bearings were loose/worn.

The tech there noticed the Pirelli tires and told me from their experiences with them they tend to wear better running slightly higher pressures. After riding the bike he said it was the rear tire causing the wiggle. He recommended running at least 32 psi in the rear. I ended up replacing the tire with a new MT66 and sure enough the wiggle was gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts