Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met my wife yesterday at a local medical office building that has a free parking garage. After the appointment I left to head back to work. I followed the exit signs down all the levels to the only exit. (Great sound from the bike in the garage by the way...lots of fun!!!) Anyway at the exit there is a bar that raises up, but it is automatic with no attendant. I pull up to the bar and it will not open. Then I see a sign on the bar that says this bar will not open for motorcycles, mopeds, and a few other things. Then it goes on to say do not attempt to go under the bar because of risk of injury. Go around the bar. Yea right. There is about a 12" curb on either side directing me to the bar and the bar hangs over the edge of the curb by about a foot and then the bushes start. I am not sure I could have walked around the bar much less hike a 500+ pound motorcycle over the curb and around the bar. I tried to pick up the bar but it would not raise.

Luckily there is nobody behind me at this point. I try going back and forward a few time with no luck. So I have to back up about 10' to get out from between the 2 curbs. Finally a car comes. I think I will follow him out. No such luck as the bar dropped too fast. Now I am getting pissed off. The next car is a little Toyota and I have to almost ride up his ass and duck my head to get under the bar before it closes.

So at this point I am out but can't help but think why was there not a sign at the entrance to the garage saying that I could not get out?

Has anybody else ever gotten stuck on their motorcycle and could not get out?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
That is why they give you a cheapy tool kit with every bike purchase - (prior to 2006 anyway), either disssemble the arm and remove it, or jam a sacrificial tool into the bar mechanism when it is up for a car. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Yes it has and in exactly the same circumstances; at a hospital but no warning on either side of the entry/exit. Had to call security on my cell phone while having some idiot in a Beemer blowing his horn at me from behind. Quite annoying on many levels.

I do agree though, the bike sounded awesome in the garage.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
No, I can't say that it has ever happened to me, but certainly something to watch out for in the future. Thanks for the heads up because it may prevent me or someone else from getting jammed in a garage somewhere. I suppose you might get a cager to let you pull out alongside as the arm lifted, but that could be tricky.

·
Registered
544 Posts
CBOLLING said:
Has anybody else ever gotten stuck on their motorcycle and could not get out?
i cant fit in my motorcycle ;-)

but i have gotten stuck at work in the parking lot - ended up doing the sidewalk thing - annoyed the heck out of people

·
Registered
622 Posts
CBOLLING said:
So at this point I am out but can't help but think why was there not a sign at the entrance to the garage saying that I could not get out?
I sell video surveillance for a living and the guards that watch those monitors love to see people like us struggle. That's why there aren't any signs at the entrance.

Bruce

·
Registered
225 Posts
haven't had that happen yet....but we're not the only ones that have to worry about this kind of thing.

On the University of Oklahoma's campus there is a fairly old building that houses a number of student and faculty offices. Dale Hall, and Dale Tower.

the tower has an elevator....

however, the 'vator has been broken for three weeks now....it only goes up. you cannot get it to go down at all. it just goes down by itself...occassionally.

If you wanna go down, you have to get on it, and hang out until it decides to head for the first floor. maybe you chill for ten minutes, maybe you wish you had brought a book.

it's a fun party game for the greeks to torment the pledges with....

it sucks for people in wheelchairs.

my wife has an office on the fourth floor, and one day she sees a wheelchair guy go rolling by......and few minutes later, he's rolling back the other way.....

ten minutes later he rolls into her doorway and asks her about the elevator, she says...."oh.....yeah....it doesn't go down. I don't know why they don't put a sign on it or something."

thanks, my dear.....you just made your employer look stupid and inconsiderate, yourself look like an ass, and this guy feel totally helpless.

to redeem herself, she called security and they figured out some way to get him down, but he was at least a 250lb dude, paraplegic, in a motorized wheelchair.

same song as getting stuck behind a parking gate, and with the same easily acheived solution.

a sign, perhaps?

(oh BTW....if you come in here, you can't get out).....

that would be so easy, but nobody considers it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had that exact problem this year when I went to a Hospital to visit. There was no sign at the entrance saying "no motorcycles" so I went in, Luckly, for no aparent reason after a car went through, the gate stayed up, so I just went through.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Simple solution. Go out the in. You got in ok didn't you?

sanoke

·
Registered
448 Posts
sanoke said:

sanoke
....Hmmm are you part Vulcan? Very logical. But I admit even I didn't think of it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
reiver said:
I wonder why they'd put a bar exit on a free parking lot to begin with?
What's free today may not be tomorrow. They are just waiting for the board of directors to determin what to charge an hour. By time they pick the committee some guy on a Harley going to saw that thing off.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sanoke said:

sanoke
That would not have worked in this garage. It is on the side of a hill and you basically come in on the 3rd floor and exit on the 1st. So by the time I got stuck at the exit I would have had to go back up 3 floors against the flow of traffic. The sections that go down between the floors are very steep and very narrow. If another car came the other way I would have been in a very bad situation.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,222 Posts
I wonder why they'd put a bar exit on a free parking lot to begin with?
To slow down the wannabe stunt drivers?
Makes more sense to put it on the entrance, though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Last year when I rode into a hospital parking garage, the attendant waved wildly and yelled at me as I entered. She was in a room off to the side with a large window. When I stopped, she pointed out a small sign that said "No motorcycles". That frustrated me mightily, but she immediately pointed out a small area inside the garage, next to the entrance, and said this was for free motorcycle parking. She told me it was because the bikes wouldn't trip the exit bar. I really appreciated her assistance and the consideration of the University of Alabama Birmingham hospital for providing that area for free.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wonder if those magnetic thingy's designed to trip stoplight sensors would help in this situation.

BTW, at the ramp where I work, there is a similar warning at the exit, but none at the entrance.

Seeing some of the other decisions mgmt has made over the years, it's par for the course.
Dumba$$'s.
:roll:
-K

·
Registered
865 Posts
The device that triggers the traffic light is the same as the one that trips the parking gate, so the magnetic light trigger may help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts