Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys im having this issue with my bike 96 Shadow 600 vlx, and its got me stumped. It has left me stranded about 4 times now in the past week after i had thought the issue was solved. Ok here we go.....

I was having issues with the carbs so here recently i had them both rebuilt and all new EVERYTHING inside the carbs (700.00) dollars worth. Any way got the bike back and it ran great for the first day, i stopped at a local whole in the wall gas station and put some 93 in it for the first time, i usually use 87 but i figured hey the carbs are like new now so why not spoil it some. Well i rode the bike another day and ran awesome, then i go to ride it on the weekend i get about 5 miles down the road and it starts to sputter some so i give it a little gas and it clears up, then a mile further down the road it does it again only this time dies it'll crank right back up and idle fine just sounds really ****ty. when this happens it has no power so riding it is'nt option.

So first thing i do is call the place i had do the carbs, he says drain the gas and put new in, so i drain the carbs and tank clean the tank out and go to shell and get some 87, put it in and it fires up like a champ and i think im back in business....go ride it for an hour and no problems.

Next morning i decide to ride it to my grandparents house, about 40 miles and i ride up does awesome, grandpa rides it does awesome. I go to go home and get about 10 miles down the road and it starts doin the same **** again. I pull over and start taking the fuel filter off and it looks clean. but i decided to bypass the pump and filter and just see how it runs, it fires right up runs good, i start to head home a mile from my house it does it again sputters and just sounds horrible and doesnt have any power. so once again im stranded......

Im out of ideas really idk what to do so any input would help, if i dont figure it out im just gonna sale it :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
That sucks. Wish I could help. Sounds either fuel or spark related.

You've already bypassed the fuel filter. Could be a bad fuel pump, or maybe gunk or water in the tank.

Could also be dropping spark on one cylinder due to a bad ignition coil, or even a bad plug wire shorting out intermittently.

Hope you get her figured out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i wish i knew where to go with it, I dont think its gunk in the tank ive cleaned it out 3 times and the pump isnt even hooked up right now so it cant be the pump, Im starting to think its something electrical as well like ak-rider said....

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Check the electricals ignition and charging.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Only Shell V-POWER does not contain Meth. All other grades do.
10% for regular, 5% for mid grade and 0% for V-Power.
so if you want to spend the rediculous price for the V-Power go ahead but the bike should run fine on the 87 with or without the meth.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
You've hit the major points in the fuel equation, maybe there is an electrical short that is grounding out intermittently. I would start running the major wires and see if any are rubbed bare. Next, charging system, would something in that system going bad cause the bike to do what it is? Regulator or rectifier maybe? Does this year have the three yellow wires and the connector that melts? If so, maybe that. Kill switch or ignition switch going bad? Good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Only Shell V-POWER does not contain Meth. All other grades do.
10% for regular, 5% for mid grade and 0% for V-Power.
so if you want to spend the rediculous price for the V-Power go ahead but the bike should run fine on the 87 with or without the meth.
Exactly. The methanol will screw with you if you have never ran it in your bike before. It has a tendency to clean off the inner side of the tank, and that is what plugs the carbs..

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
And here is where products like Seafoam are good. They do this for you. if you are running straight non meth fuel you will get some varnish. the meth actually helps prevent this.
I just had a good look inside my tank and it is sparklingly clean. I had the carbs off this winter and also sparklingly clean. I do run seafoam periodically but also run fuel with Meth.
I also have a nice fuel filter that should prevent any gunk from actually reaching the carbs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Make sure your air intake boots on the carbs are tight, these maybe slighly loose and when the bike heats up the boots expand letting more air in causing splutter power losss and choke outs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure your air intake boots on the carbs are tight, these maybe slighly loose and when the bike heats up the boots expand letting more air in causing splutter power losss and choke outs
Thats a very good point I just checked one of the intake tubes don't even have a clamp on it, and I pulled it off with little effort. If this is whats causing the problem I'm gonna be so glad that its nothing major!

Thanks alot for ALL the input guys!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thats a very good point I just checked one of the intake tubes don't even have a clamp on it, and I pulled it off with little effort. If this is whats causing the problem I'm gonna be so glad that its nothing major!

No probs, the clue here was you said you had carbs rebuilt, I guess the tech failed to put the clamp back on. Let us know how it works out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts