Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It didn't take long on my new Goldwing (2001) to figure out my Shadow will hit the craigslist for sale section.
I guess, once a wingnut always a wingnut. I have had a great time on my shadow these last few years.
With my last mod (gear change) I thought I had finally achieved the ride I could accept. But after 30 minutes on the wing, I knew the Shadow was history.
with me to pick up my new wing, my son and cousin.

My cousin and the guy I bought the (Red Wing knick named, the Killer Tomato) from stopped to view the San Francisco Bay.

A potty break at Alices Restaurant

Just outside of Half Moon Bay we stop to view the Pacific Ocean.

After cruisen through San Francisco, we cross the Golden Gate into Sausalito where we stop for the most fantastic Burger I have had in a long time.

After which we rode up to Ft Barry, we took some photo's of the Golden Gate but my camera does not do well with sunshine and the sky turns out all pink, so I didn't bother to post them. But it was a fantastic view, and a beautifull day for a ride, temps were in the 70's, very little wind, clear blue sky and 2 great friends to share it with.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Shadows are great bikes but there is something about a BIG bike!
I'm 3/4 the way to a GW with the Valkyrie. :D The miles just seem soooo effortless with a big smooth flat 6!
Great pics too!

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
'Wings rock.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
TucsonDon said:
I'm picking up my 2007 Goldwing this Saturday. :)
CONGRATS DON !!!

And you too AShadowRider...I mean AWingRider. :D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The 'Wings are FANTASTIC bikes and I know you'll love it... BUT,
don't be so quick to sell the Shadow, unless you have to because of expense.

The Shadow still makes a great little "I need to make a quick run up to the store" bike.

Sometimes, as nice and comfortable as they are, the 'Wings don't make
good short hop bikes... and you'd still have the Shadow to do the 'quick hops'.

Just something to think about.

In any case, congrats on the new 2 wheel Accord!

·
Registered
859 Posts
ashadowrider, congrats on your wing. You have me California dreamin on this winter's day. That is what it is all about: beautiful riding weather, good friends and scenic roads. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fantastic photos!!! I definitely want to get up to San Francisco at some point and ride, ride, ride!

Beautiful Goldwing and I agree with litnin keep the shadow for those quick runs.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! And congrats to TucsonDon as well. I'm sure you both will enjoy them.

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I also agree with Litnin; if you can afford to keep the Shadow, do so. A few years ago I had to choose between my GL1500 and 1100 Shadow for a trip to Alaska, and I chose to use the Shadow. Excellent choice, as it turned out, because of marginal road conditions in places. The 'Wing is a great touring bike, but its bulk imposes certain limitations that make it unsuitable for all-purpose use. That's not to say that it won't do it, but 10 miles of gravel road will give you pumped forearms like Popeye's. Just MHO, of course.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Ashadow congrats on the new bike .

I was an early GW owner , had a 78 .

Hehe , so you wanna tell these non calif folks what that nice burger cost you over in Saus? I have a guess .
:)

Also the roads we went on today that you might have , the wing would not have been comfortable on at all but your shadow would be .

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've never ridden a Goldwing, since I'm only 33 there is still plenty of time for me to get one for my retirement. However I was wondering the other day whether anyone has ever 'chopped' a Goldwing. Remove the fairing and trunk and doo-dads and you'd have a 6 cylinder 1800 about 300 lbs lighter. That would be quite something to see...

·
Registered
258 Posts
CONGRATS.....AShadowRider ... aka AWingRider.

CONGRATS to you to DON !!!

Someday I'll be there......just a dream for now......

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
silvershadow55 said:
I've never ridden a Goldwing, since I'm only 33 there is still plenty of time for me to get one for my retirement. However I was wondering the other day whether anyone has ever 'chopped' a Goldwing. Remove the fairing and trunk and doo-dads and you'd have a 6 cylinder 1800 about 300 lbs lighter. That would be quite something to see...
That's pretty much what the Valkyrie is, just a leaned out Gold Wing.
MarkC

G

·
0 Posts
You know I just turned 49 this month and I still think of a Wing or a dresser as something I'll get when I am older. Wings are great bikes and as Glen showed me quite the road rocket, but for now they just do not fit into my style. To those of you that do find them suitable to your needs all the best.. ride on!

·
Registered
79 Posts
NNNIIIICCCEEEE looking bike!

The gl1800 gives you the best of all worlds.

TusconDon,

Surprised you waited this long!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank-you all for the kind words.

TucsonDon said:
I'm picking up my 2007 Goldwing this Saturday. :)
Congratulations TD, Maybe I will get a chance to ride with you when I get around to visiting the lower California counties on my quest to visit all 58.

litnin said:
The 'Wings are FANTASTIC bikes and I know you'll love it... BUT,
don't be so quick to sell the Shadow, unless you have to because of expense.
It's not so much an expense issue as it is a space issue. If I had room for both bikes I probably would keep the Shadow.

tvaudio said:
Fantastic photos!!! I definitely want to get up to San Francisco at some point and ride, ride, ride!
TVA, I was born and raised in California and it's hard for me to believe that I have seen so very little of it. One thing is for sure, I could probably spend the rest of my life investigating the bay area's by MC and still never see it all.
I have been to San Francisco twice already this year and each time I find some fantastic new ride!

Aero98 said:
Hey Ashadow congrats on the new bike .
I was an early GW owner , had a 78 .

Hehe , so you wanna tell these non calif folks what that nice burger cost you over in Saus? I have a guess .
:)

Also the roads we went on today that you might have , the wing would not have been comfortable on at all but your shadow would be .
Aero, I too was an early wingrider 75, 76,(the 76 I rode everywhere, on rode, off road, hill climbing). 79, 81, I liked the 76 & 81 better than the 75 & 79.
BUT, this 01 is out of this world. I love the integrated cb/6 cd player/intercom. It so beats hand signals and yelling.
I am not sure exactly how much the burgers cost as the guy I bought the wing from, paid for lunch. but I am guessing for 3 cb's & 2 beers (I had water) was probably close to $50. The waitress accidentally gave our bill to a couple next to us and they pretty much freaked out! I do know their tab was $33 for 2 burgers and 1 beer.
I do plan on taking my wife there, but I should get off a lot cheaper as she can only eat 1/2 a burger, So I will split one with her.

silvershadow55 said:
silvershadow, If you want a chopped Gold wing, get the Honda Rune! If I was single or the wife and I as young as you, I would snatch up a Rune so fast the salesman would be standing alone saying, "who was that masked man"?

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/honda_rune_1800cc_6_cylinder/

CrazyDave said:
You know I just turned 49 this month and I still think of a Wing or a dresser as something I'll get when I am older. Wings are great bikes and as Glen showed me quite the road rocket, but for now they just do not fit into my style. To those of you that do find them suitable to your needs all the best.. ride on!
I was 33 when I got my first wing and know nothing else (besides a 305 and the Shadow)up until now, I always wanted a chopper, that particular drive was never strong enough to actually buy one though. In fact all my Harley friends actually talked me out of even buying a Harley. They were the ones that convinced me to buy my first Goldwing.
p.s. Happy belated BD

·
Registered
542 Posts
Silvershadow,
Here's a pic of what you seek!
[/img]

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
:mrgreen: Ashadowrider=no mo, congrats on the new ride, guess you'll be a touring all them good rodes in comfort now :D

Congrats also to Tucson Don on the new ride, now you can zip up to Phoenix in an AZ minute and ride with Nofear and the gang..........lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts