Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about bikes so I will be asking a lot of questions, hopefully people wont get irritated, but I want to learn.

Now this guy I know he has a bike, and out here in the rainy northwest we some times dont have sunshine for a long time. When you have your bike stored and covered in your garage, he was saying you have to put something in your gas tank to keep your engine from getting all messed up because the gasoline sits in it for so long? :?: Im confused, is this true...if so what is this stuff and what does it really do.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
yeah, its called Stabil. It's a gas stabilizer. If gas stays in your tank too long it can gum up the carbs. I use it, but really, I think gas would have to sit for more than a year to gum up - I guess it partially depends on how old the gas is when it goes into your tank.

You could also you seafoam (its a carb cleaner and fuel stabilizer).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically it's some thing you'd want to use during the winter season. We have a lot of rainy days here in Seattle, so I was just curious. You think its pointless to use unless you're leaving your bike unused for a year or so eh? Ill look into the sea stuff. Appreciate the feedback. How would you gauge how old gas is when you put it fresh in your tank?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
MaddestHatter said:
So basically it's some thing you'd want to use during the winter season.
exactly.

you'll get lots of opinions on how long a bike can sit before fuel is at risk of going bad - mine is only one of them. I think if you're running fresh fuel through at least once every 3 months or so, I wouldn't worry about an additive. As far as how fresh gas is, I don't really know. But I suspect that if you fill up at a well frequented gas station, you're getting pretty fresh gas.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
lang said:
yeah, its called Stabil. It's a gas stabilizer. If gas stays in your tank too long it can gum up the carbs. I use it, but really, I think gas would have to sit for more than a year to gum up - I guess it partially depends on how old the gas is when it goes into your tank.

You could also you seafoam (its a carb cleaner and fuel stabilizer).
These days they say 60 days before gas goes "bad". As for varnishing, yeah, it takes a good long while.

·
Registered
286 Posts
One thing I do before storing the bike is to empty the carb float bowls of gas. The easiest way to do this is to turn the gas switch off and run the bike until it dies. That way you won't have stale gas in the carbs to gunk up the works. Of course when you start it up again you'll have to crank it a bit to get gas back into the carbs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fuel

Mad, I too live in the great (wet) northwest. I keep stabil in my bike from Oct. until the end of May. During this period I start and run my bike for about 20 to 30 minutes a week ensuring that it gets up to normal operating temp. I also keep my gas tank topped off to fight the formation of rust. I periodically check my tire pressure so if a nice day pops up I am ready to ride. I've heard that gas with ethanol added only lasts about 60 days before going bad. Don't know for sure but I figure it is better to be safe then sorry. I try to use gas without ethanol but sometimes that's all that is available when I need to fill up. :).

[/img]

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
VBM, and Mad, i too am near you! I live in Taji, Iraq, right now, but spend most of my time in Tacoma. It is where my girlfriend lives. We need to get a ride in together after I get back! -----Metalguy :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Fuel

vbm said:
Mad, I too live in the great (wet) northwest. I keep stabil in my bike from Oct. until the end of May. During this period I start and run my bike for about 20 to 30 minutes a week ensuring that it gets up to normal operating temp. I also keep my gas tank topped off to fight the formation of rust. I periodically check my tire pressure so if a nice day pops up I am ready to ride. I've heard that gas with ethanol added only lasts about 60 days before going bad. Don't know for sure but I figure it is better to be safe then sorry. I try to use gas without ethanol but sometimes that's all that is available when I need to fill up. :).

[/img]
So if you have the additive in your tank during these months...and you start it up and wanna take it for a ride there will be no issues even though you still have the additive in your tank? Or how does that work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
metalguy said:
VBM, and Mad, i too am near you! I live in Taji, Iraq, right now, but spend most of my time in Tacoma. It is where my girlfriend lives. We need to get a ride in together after I get back! -----Metalguy :wink:
When do you get back from your Tour? Hopefully by then Ill have my own bike. Making 10/hr is hard to afford a bike lol. Im hoping to save up enough to get one eventually soon though. My buddy is also in Iraq hes in Fellujah though, just got there after being in baghdad for a wihle. He gets a two week leave in march to come back and visit. but yes lemme know when you get back and if i have a bike i will always be down to cruise with local riders.

·
Registered
115 Posts
VBM, and Mad, i too am near you! I live in Taji, Iraq, right now, but spend most of my time in Tacoma. It is where my girlfriend lives. We need to get a ride in together after I get back! -----Metalguy
Hope you get home soon! Keep your head down.
We'd love to join in a celebratory ride on your return...keep us posted!
Margaret

·
Registered
327 Posts
silvershadow55 said:
One thing I do before storing the bike is to empty the carb float bowls of gas. The easiest way to do this is to turn the gas switch off and run the bike until it dies. That way you won't have stale gas in the carbs to gunk up the works. Of course when you start it up again you'll have to crank it a bit to get gas back into the carbs.
Draining the carbs you run the risk of drying out O-rings and gaskets. If you're concerned about gas in the bowls, add stabil and run for a little while before storage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
hmmm.... owner's manual says drain the bowls, doesn't say anything about drying out gaskets. I'll have to look into this...

·
Registered
327 Posts
silvershadow55 said:
hmmm.... owner's manual says drain the bowls, doesn't say anything about drying out gaskets. I'll have to look into this...
Please do, don't take my word for it. I could certainly be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Like anything else it probably depends on how long it sits.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know people who don't use Stabil, they have no problems. For me I use it, it's about $3 a bottle. Now from what I've heard, it cost a lot more than that to clean the carbs or anything else that gets gummed. So my money stays with the lesser of 2 evils in this case. Just me $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts