Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
4,110 Posts
Dragoon said:
I buy my filters from wallyworld for a fraction of the cost anywhere else. I got this hint from this forum.

Secondly, I don’t believe there is any percentage in paying a premium for a motorcycle oil in our shadows. So I use a fully synthetic Mobile one, and the first non EC weight is 15w-50. It works fine for me in SoCal and although it says it is good for 15k, I change my oil, filter and crush ring every 2500-3000 miles. It works for me and may or may not work for you. At 10 cents, I buy 20 crush rings at a time. I pay about $3 for the filter and about $4.99 for the oil ( per quart).

Oil is cheap compare to what it protects and it is extremely easy to change our bike.

Cheers
That about sums it all up nicely.

The real benefits to synthetic oils comes when you can't change the oil on a very rigid schedule - say, right in the middle of a big road trip. Using the longer-lasting synth is a great insurance policy, and a cheap one, too.

· Banned
4,110 Posts
litnin said:
cbjr0256 said:
You know when push comes to shove, you could use any decent oil, and any decent filter, change it every 2 to 3k miles and run the motor forever.

In other words, I have never heard of failure because of a cheap oil or filter.....failures come from negelect or catastrophic failure of a filter component.....a very rare thing.

Agreed. With the exception of Fram filters.

Back in the 70's, Fram caused a multitude of Honda engines to burn up
due to lack of oil, and it was proven that the Fram filter caused the problem.

While I'd be willing to bet they have long since fixed the issue,
I saw too many of them kill engines and I have not trusted one since.
They, indeed, have *long* since cleaned their act up. They make a fine product these days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.