Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,454 Posts
I buy my filters from wallyworld for a fraction of the cost anywhere else. I got this hint from this forum.

Secondly, I don’t believe there is any percentage in paying a premium for a motorcycle oil in our shadows. So I use a fully synthetic Mobile one, and the first non EC weight is 15w-50. It works fine for me in SoCal and although it says it is good for 15k, I change my oil, filter and crush ring every 2500-3000 miles. It works for me and may or may not work for you. At 10 cents, I buy 20 crush rings at a time. I pay about $3 for the filter and about $4.99 for the oil ( per quart).

Oil is cheap compare to what it protects and it is extremely easy to change our bike.

Cheers

· Registered
1,454 Posts
I just checked and the cheap filters I buy from Wallyworld are labeled Fram. I have no idea of their history because I use K&N on my cars due to there higher burst rate and I drive my cars hard.

Cheers

· Registered
1,454 Posts
[quote="
I've been using the OEM filters, but my local stealer keeps cranking up the price (now 3x the price of Walmart). Although the fancy Honda filter wrench I have won't fit most other kinds of filters, I think I will switch to a cheaper filter.

Cheers, D-Mac[/quote]

I know I am going to get sh^% for this one, but I can take my filter off by hand, not real easy, but I don’t use a tool. I also tighten it by hand, also not hard, but then I run the engine around the block with some WOT (wide open throttle) and check for leaks. I have never had a problem and it makes the oil change very quick.

This seems to be a minor part of ones maintenance routine, but to me, oil is one of the most important ( irrespective of safety of course) things you can do. When overhead cams first came into mass production it became VERY important to make sure the oil you have in the sump was able to travel up the capillaries to splash over the lobes and the other fast moving parts. Thus it must be clean and free of particles.

Cheers

Dragoon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.