Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Two other things:

1. I only have one key and would really like a spare. The key has B27 stamped on it. After doing some googling, it seems the best way is to buy a blank online and then find a local key shop to cut the blank? Is that correct?

2. I'm looking at saddlebags and think I've settled on Viking bags. I'm not worried about installing the bags, but the turn signals need to be moved back and there are several reviews complaining that the remount kit included with the bags didn't work. Does anyone have experience with the Viking bag turn signal remount kit?

Weather is getting warmer! Can't wait!

Thanks for any advice!

Matt
Depends on where you are, and how advanced your local locksmiths are.
My favorite locksmith (Uber's Lock & Gun in Pensacola, FL) carries almost every blank known to mankind. There are 5 motorcycle shops within a few miles of it, so she carries all the blanks for every brand. Including blanks for K&G saddlebags, etc...

Only bad thing about Vikings is that AFAIK they don't have any models with intergral turn signals. It wouldn't be that hard to simply screw in a nice set of LED's nowadays, but it's always so much better when factory installed. Most folks DIY'ing it forget to seal the wire holes and Locktite the nuts/bolts.

As long as you have a battery-nut sized wrench, also a 10/12mm box end wrench, and allen keys for handlebar tightening, flat & phillips screwdrivers, yer set for tools.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Why on earth would a motorcycle need a cup holder? You know what come with cup holders? A car
"I cant lean into that corner because I'll spill my coffee"
It's actually perfect for Gatorade/Powerade sport-top bottles...
Gotta HYDRATE!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate all the advice. I still have no idea what I want to do about saddle bags or other storage. Problems installing bags and moving turn signals might not be worth it. I definitely need something and I do already have a nice luggage rack. Now I'm thinking of maybe a removable piece of luggage for the back?

So many options make it hard to decide!

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
2001 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
357 Posts
Two other things:

1. I only have one key and would really like a spare. The key has B27 stamped on it. After doing some googling, it seems the best way is to buy a blank online and then find a local key shop to cut the blank? Is that correct?
Does the key you have unlock the gas tank? (some have eliminated this function and drilled out the lock in the tank so anything can open it).
If the lock is still intact and it's the same key that you use for ignition, then open the gas tank and look at the underside of the gas cap. You should see a code stamped into the underside of the cap. I think 4 or 5 characters long.

Look on ebay, you will find people that can cut the key for you if you provide the code, such as this one linked below.
Click Here
I've done it with one of my bikes and the key they made for me works flawlessly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, the key also opens the gas tank. I just checked and found the six digit code that looks like it was stamped in after the part was assembled. There are other codes that are cast into the part that I would think are universal part numbers.

Thanks! I"ll give them a try!

Matt

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I put a set on mine. Like them because they lock. Also have a removable bag on back it’s off a set of travel bag. I had already moved turn signals made my own bracket for the last set of bags i had on it. You do have to add some wire to lights Only problem i had with this set of bags is i have a mustang seat and had to space bags out more than i wanted to so the bag would open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate all the advice. I still have no idea what I want to do about saddle bags or other storage. Problems installing bags and moving turn signals might not be worth it. I definitely need something and I do already have a nice luggage rack. Now I'm thinking of maybe a removable piece of luggage for the back?

So many options make it hard to decide!

Thanks again for all your help!

View attachment 286101
Relocating the signals is a pretty easy job and allows so many more options for bags. I moved them on my Aero to mount hard bags, just cut the wire and soldered in extra length. I bought a $20 bracket to mount them at the licence plate.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Relocating the signals is a pretty easy job and allows so many more options for bags. I moved them on my Aero to mount hard bags, just cut the wire and soldered in extra length. I bought a $20 bracket to mount them at the licence plate.
I agree. It's worth the time to get it done and relocating the turn signals is not that hard of a job.
Saddlebags are very handy, plus you don't want to have all the weight of whatever you're lugging around up high.
They'll also leave your rear rack open for other uses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why on earth would a motorcycle need a cup holder? You know what come with cup holders? A car
"I cant lean into that corner because I'll spill my coffee"
Just the opposite is true, as in aviation when doing a “coordinated” turn, a glass of water, placed on the dashboard will remain upright and full of water even though the horizon is tilted at a 45 degree angle. Same as a scooter leaning into a turn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two other things:

2. I'm looking at saddlebags and think I've settled on Viking bags. I'm not worried about installing the bags, but the turn signals need to be moved back and there are several reviews complaining that the remount kit included with the bags didn't work. Does anyone have experience with the Viking bag turn signal remount kit?

Thanks for any advice!

Matt
2. I bought Viking bags and the turn signal kit for my ‘06 Shadow. The turn signal kit did require some modification to mount properly but I was able to make it work. It wasn’t too hard to relocate the turn signals but is necessary for mounting the bags. You could make your own mount though if you’re handy with metal but protect it from rust.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,890 Posts
2. I bought Viking bags and the turn signal kit for my ‘06 Shadow. The turn signal kit did require some modification to mount properly but I was able to make it work. It wasn’t too hard to relocate the turn signals but is necessary for mounting the bags. You could make your own mount though if you’re handy with metal but protect it from rust.
Gotta post pics dude!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two other things:

Thanks for any advice!

Matt
If you pull the ignition, there will be a number on the back of it. Take that number to a locksmith and they can make a duplicate key for your bike. I had a couple spares made and it was less than $10.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
16 Posts
Whatever is on the handle is aftermarket and did not come stock with the bike. The only thing from the tool kit is the wrench and the rubber strap that would hold the pouch in place under the side cover. There would have been 8 or 10 pieces another wrench, a couple screwdrivers, a couple of sockets, a spanner wrench to adjust you shocks, etc.

If you go to a locksmith for an extra key make sure it works in the side cover lock, gas cap, fork lock, and ignition. They all use the same key.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks! I did go to cyclekeysonline on ebay and got a key with no problems at all. I would highly recommend them. Thanks Bryant!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's my set-up...I mounted the Viking bags but the prior owner had already done the relocation on the signals so not sure what kit this is, but here are some pics...I think it was done well and it's a really thin bracket that just mounts to the back of the license plate bracket. As you can see these bags are like max size...just about touching the stock seat on the front and nicely clear the signals on the rear.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts