Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for Christmas I got a full suite of Armortex, both tops and bottoms. I have resolved myself to never ride again with out this kind of protection even though I feel, and look, like the Michelin man. So, in the morning I pass y the CHP office as I am pulling into mine and being shift change, I noticed that they wear good leather jackets and boot that look great and go to the knee almost. Cold on the night shift one would assume.

However, going home tonight ( this aft really) I saw a group of CHP ( probably riders in training) and all but one was wearing a short sleeve shirt. Now, my Dr always says once you’ve seen what can happen to a biker, you may never ride again”. So, extrapolating on that, I would imagine that the police see some pretty gruesome stuff too, so why on earth would they ride down the freeway in short sleeve shirts when they get issued some pretty nifty stuff. :shock:

Just an observation but it make me think as I ‘bubble” down the freeway.

Thanks for reading my jabber. :)

Dragoon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've always wondered that too, until I worked for SDPD and got to know some of the motor officers. I was told that they need to have full mobility in the event that they need to chase down some suspect on foot. They also do wear bullet proof vests so at least their torso areas are protected. I don't think that'd give me the peace of mind though if I were a motor cop.....

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Road rash come to mind, but I never considered what you mention and it makes perfect sense. I worry about our constabulary and maybe it is time for me to invent a solution that allows both. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
628 Posts
cops

mmm said:

I was told that they need to have full mobility in the event that they need to chase down some suspect on foot.

I have also see motormen in short sleeved shirts. I saw four motormen today while I was in FL.

I cannot figure out why biker clothing manufactuers have not designed clothing for policemen/women that provides "full mobility" and protection. I think the bike manufactuers should be in on their riding equipment as well.

This is an side. Two of the motormen I saw in FL mounted/dismounted on the right side of their bikes. I mount/dismount my bicycle on the right but my Shadow on the left side. Does anyone know why the right and not the left?

Jim

·
Registered
628 Posts
cops

mmm said:

I was told that they need to have full mobility in the event that they need to chase down some suspect on foot.

I have also see motormen in short sleeved shirts. I saw four motormen today while I was in FL.

I cannot figure out why biker clothing manufactuers have not designed clothing for policemen/women that provides "full mobility" and protection. I think the bike manufactuers should be in on their riding equipment as well.

This is an side. Two of the motormen I saw in FL mounted/dismounted on the right side of their bikes. I mount/dismount my bicycle on the right but my Shadow on the left side. Does anyone know why the right and not the left?

Jim

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dismount to the left for two good reasons, first not to burn my pants ( which I have done) on the hot pipes and second it is the lower side to dismount to because of the sidestand. Now for my daily sign of stupidity, a motorman? I am not sure what that is you are referring to, and I lived in Miami for ten minutes ( until I lost 40lbs in water weight due to humidity, did I say humidity sucks).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Agreed, they should have full mobility armor with bullet proof vests built in. But I would suspect there is something else to it since I'm sure if they really wanted it someone would be making it.

As far as the mount/dismount side, they use the right side to stay away from traffic that's on thier left and it puts the bike between them and the "suspect".

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beowulf said:
Agreed, they should have full mobility armor with bullet proof vests built in. But I would suspect there is something else to it since I'm sure if they really wanted it someone would be making it.

As far as the mount/dismount side, they use the right side to stay away from traffic that's on thier left and it puts the bike between them and the "suspect".
That makes perfect sense. I then assume that a motorman is a bike cop?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dragoon said:
beowulf said:

That makes perfect sense. I then assume that a motorman is a bike cop?
That was my assumption. Not sure, but I've never known anyone else to mount/dismount on right.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
It occurs to me that maybe the scooter lawmen, even after seeing all that they see, still don't feel the need to be surrounded by a personal head to toe safety cocoon.
Perhaps they are happy riding just like they are.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Just giving another answer to the right side mount, when I have all my gear on and a T Bag on the passenger seat for me it's a helluva stretch going from the low side to the high side with my leg (course I'm an old fart) so I have found it eaiser to mount on the right going from high side to low side, it just seems eaiser to get on, don't have a problem getting off the bike.... :?: :?: :?: :lol:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've also read that the reason some MPO's mount off the right is due to traffic but to me it is interesting that the reason people get on horses from the left goes back to the days of the Knights.

Armored Knights mounted from the left because of the swords which would get in the way otherwise. It is a tradition that continues to this day in the Western Hemisphere and I wonder if it influenced the design decision that bikes lean left?

·
Registered
318 Posts
so am i the only rider besides cops who mounts/dismounts on the right? i have no idea at all why i do it, but i always have. with no problems, maybe because i have long legs. funny, i never thought about this!

barrett

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
And they also wear shorty lids.

Due to the amount of training, both initial and recurrent, they have much less to fear on the road than we mortals.

When you hear of a motorofficer down more often than not it was a cage striking the bike on the side of the road.
Very few motorofficers die in crashes.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I'd be interested on the reasons too...

Full gear would, by all commonly held logic, prevent small injuries from blossoming into big ones. This should result in lowered insurance premiums, and less long term health care paid by the employer. Knowing that the bottom line is always first and foremost in any organization's priorities ( followed closely by other trivialities like worker safety) there has to be a very compelling reason for allowing them to ride in short sleeves. ANY form of armour, even if it was a thin "Joe Rocket"-esque jacket would be better than none, no?

I understand the helmets being open-faced... an officer can't take his eye off of anyone for the time it takes to remove a fullface... maybe there's a P.O. out there that can answer this? (we've got a couple on here don't we?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts