Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am very excited to receive the delivery of my very first motorcycle. I did a very rough inspection on the Shadow before I purchased it and it passed state inspection, starts, and shifts. I am here to get some more info about what maintenance items should be inspected or replaced at this point in the Shadow's life. I have the manufacture maintenance schedule, but I am new to motorcycles and I'm sure you all have advice. I am for sure doing an oil and oil filter replacement as well as chain cleaning and re-lubing. What are some other, not-obvious things to check out while getting familiar with my Shadow? Thanks and have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
If you have the service records then check against the maintenance schedule. A state inspection is usually just a rough safety check for brakes, lights etc. However, I like to be absolutely sure the maintenance has been done so:
Oil and Oil Filter at least every year
Air Filter every 12000 miles
Brake fluid every 2 years
Coolant every 5 years (Prestone)

Wiggle everything on the bike to make sure nothing is loose. Seat, handlebars, pegs, exhaust, lights, mirrors, fenders etc.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I believe the valves should be adjusted every 8000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on your new bike. Oil, gas, ride and this thing should last a good-long-while.
Thanks, Im so excited. I purchased 3 quarts of Amsoil metric bike oil, a k&n wrench off oil filter, a drain pan, a torque wrench with a 14mm and 17mm socket, and seafoam fuel stabilizer. Anything else im missing?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
This is something that should be done my a licensed professional I assume? I should find a honda service dealer?
Now you are stirring up a debate topic... and you just got here! No worries. Some folks like to have their bike maintenance and repairs done at dealers, others at independent shops. Shop around BEFORE you need anything done and get a feel for the various places. Pay more attention to the vibe than the shop hour rates. I don't know so much about having to have valves adjusted on any particular schedule, but I won't argue with anyone who says it does. The one thing I do know is adjusting valves on a V-Twin, especially a Honda V-Twin, isn't anything that a decent bike mechanic can't accomplish with ease.
Clean it, fuel it, check the oil and go. If you want to add a bit of SeaFoam the first time out, that's probably not a bad idea but make sure you follow the directions on the can. Too much will make your bike run like crap. Run a tank full of fuel through it and then just run pure fuel through it afterwards. Check for leaks, make sure your air filter is clean and the sump is drained. You should be good to go.
Welcome to the asylum here. Hope to soon see threads from you telling us of your many miles you're putting on together and the fun you are having. If you have an "a-ha!" moment, let us know. If you take a picture of something cool while out riding around, post it. Find a piece of gear or farkle that tickles your fancy, make sure you tell us all about it. Hopefully you'll become a valued addition to the membership here. Welcome.. and good riding.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
DIY depends on skill level, tools, and a shop manual.

DIY the pluses are: you save money, you don't have to leave your bike in a shop for a few days (or weeks). You know you did it and can check, double check, triple check. The minuses are your hands get dirty, you need to buy a lot of tools, parts and a shop manual, and you don't know what you are doing. Don't DIY using the wrong tool or that will be a nightmare.

Dealer the pluses are: they usually have at least one qualified mechanic and the manuals and the tools and can get the parts. They are somewhat concerned about reputable work. The minus is the cost and downtime.

Independents are less expensive than dealer but everything else is questionable so you need to find a few referrals.

The maintenance items I listed you can do yourself. For valve adjustment what I did was: I took it to a dealer mechanic for the first scheduled maintenance including valve adjustment. After, I took off the cylinder heads and using a feeler gauge, I felt what the gap should be like for future DIY. That way I knew what .15mm gap felt like so I could do it next 50 times.

G.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Pics - We gotta See pics...
Per Service manual - www.vt750dc.com/maintenance/service-manuals - go there, right click to save and you have the full service manual on your own computer... or there might even be one around here
Your 2003 Shadow Spirit 750 is a model VT750DC (model & serial is on the labal on the left side of the front fork), basicly 2001-2005/6 are all almost exactly the same - all rock solid, bulletproof, long lastin scoots... a little old school, carbed(dual) & chain drive but easy to work on. If it didnt come with an original tool kit consider gettin at least the OEM Sparkplug tool/spanner - its a super deep, thin walled spanner and the best/cheapest tool for the job (make life easy for the deep set plugs)
And check out the Vt750dc.com site - it's the second best site for your scoot other than this one - Lots a history, fixes, mods, and general info...

And above all - Pics!!! it aint real till we see Pics...

Havin the OEM toolkit for your scoot raises the resale value at least $100...
And speakin bout parts - OEM Honda parts, at least the mission critical ones like seals, bearings & special stuff, are always priced best from online OEM parts suppliers like partzilla, HondaPartsOnline, OemHondaHouse - If they dont have the OEM Parts Fiche/List/Diagram for your yr/model - (like attached) - it might not be original OEM Honda Parts!
The plug spanner and rear spring adjustment tool are definitely nice to haves...
and actually spanner #8 (with the slot in the middle just happens to fit the top of the Valve Adjuster perfectly - that slot in the middle just happens to fit perfectly over the adjuster and holds it in position while you tighted the retainer/holdingnut !)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice Scoot! Great shape! And Black - The Fastest Color...
And obviously, I like it - have one just like it - Good choice (click my sig)
Sincere apologies if comment was ruffling, wasn't meant to be - but forum loves pics - they did that to me too.
Welcome - Real nice scoot - Enjoy...
(ps: remind em to insure an OEM Toolkit is in the map/toolkit compartment under the left side cover on delivery as goodwill for your purchase)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all. I am very excited to receive the delivery of my very first motorcycle. I did a very rough inspection on the Shadow before I purchased it and it passed state inspection, starts, and shifts. I am here to get some more info about what maintenance items should be inspected or replaced at this point in the Shadow's life. I have the manufacture maintenance schedule, but I am new to motorcycles and I'm sure you all have advice. I am for sure doing an oil and oil filter replacement as well as chain cleaning and re-lubing. What are some other, not-obvious things to check out while getting familiar with my Shadow? Thanks and have a wonderful day!
Check your electrical system (Stater, Regulator/Rectifier, ETC.) My Shadow Spirit vt1100c has left me stranded four times because when i bought it i neglected to check over everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check your electrical system (Stater, Regulator/Rectifier, ETC.) My Shadow Spirit vt1100c has left me stranded four times because when i bought it i neglected to check over everything.
When you say to check these systems, do you mean with a multi-meter of some kind? Sorry for the ignorance but i have no idea how to check these. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts