Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AngryHatter said:
cliff notes?
I got three paragraphs into it and then went to ride instead of more reading. ;)
I hear ya , I'm about to do that too .

but ok heres the quote . :D

"Ironically, Soichiro Honda rode a 101 Scout for a number of years and it inspired him to build motorcycles. (The rest is a history even bigger and better known than Indian's.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
448 Posts
[/quote]Also the very early electric starter .[/quote]

Yea that too. I would bet it would be a bugger to kick start one of the liter bikes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[/quote]
I would bet it would be a bugger to kick start one of the liter bikes.[/quote]

Most of the old bikes were not bad to kick start. The 80 inch Indian Chief was easy, especially compared to the 1957 55 inch Sportster. The Chief had the spark advance on the left grip. I always retarded the spark all the way for starting, and then advanced it all the way unless I wanted it to sound cool while idling. The Sportster kicked over harder than any other bike I have owned or ridden.

The day I sold my KZ1000, it was four degrees above zero. The electric starter would not turn it over fast enough to start, so I kick started it. The guy was impressed and bought it.

The 45 inch Triumph is more difficult to kick over than the 80 inch Indian was. If there is anyone watching when I start the Triumph, I kinda put on a little show. I jump up and kick it like I am really doing something. If no one is watching, I just kick it normally.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In the 60's, during my "English Phase", I kick started a Velocette Thruxton without advancing the spark. It did a number on my ankle as it threw me high into the air, and when I could walk again (In about a week) the first ride I took was to trade it in on a Triumph.

I wish I had either bike right now!!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
That was a great read...too bad the pictures didn't come through. It'd've been great to see the old Indians.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I LOVE the look of the Indian! I'm going to own one someday.

However, it's interesting that this thread should appear today. Last night wifey and I watched "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins.

Great 'feel-good' movie!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jan Janowski said:
In the 60's, during my "English Phase", I kick started a Velocette Thruxton without advancing the spark. It did a number on my ankle as it threw me high into the air, and when I could walk again (In about a week) the first ride I took was to trade it in on a Triumph.

I thought this thing was cool , 1956 sunbeam
Dont know a thing about it as far as how it is to ride and own one .
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/272826456.html

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hunnus2000 said:
I LOVE the look of the Indian! I'm going to own one someday.

However, it's interesting that this thread should appear today. Last night wifey and I watched "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins.

Great 'feel-good' movie!
Great movie, have watched it at least 5 times. Dont skip over the specials , theres actual footage of Burt in there . You will see where Hopkins or the screenwriter got alot of the feel for Burt correct.

I too plan on an Indian to add to my Honda one day

·
Registered
448 Posts
Aero98 said:
Jan Janowski said:

I thought this thing was cool , 1956 sunbeam
Dont know a thing about it as far as how it is to ride and own one .
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/272826456.html
Just imagine pulling up to bike night on that!

That thing is destined for a museum or someones collection.
The only thing that strikes me as odd is the speedo is in MPH.

·
Registered
318 Posts
my parent house is 2 blocks from the indian motorcycle museum in springfield mass.

and yet i've never been there... i seem to only visit on holidays or during the week when they are closed. hopefully next time. and i'll get some pics posted here for ya'll.

barrett

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: cool site

hunter58 said:
great site !

grem , you gotta do that and yes on the pics.

I keep looking for an Indian pictorial book at Barnes but never see one.
Tons of HD books in fact most of the HD books seem to keep repeating the same pics of the same vintage bikes. I know I can get one off of amazon but I'm still one that likes to see the book in my hand first before I buy .

G

·
0 Posts
Just to expand on the subject a little - the Japanese not only liked Harleys and Indians, they copied them too. Here's a 1958 Rikuo. See any similarities?

http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonly/museum/images/b81/1958RIRUO_600.jpg

Post war (WWII) Japan were masters at copying other's designs. Nikon and Canon got their start copying German Leica cameras. You can see where that got them. Japan has a long history of borrowing other's designs. One could say there are similarities between Harleys and present day Honda V-twins. Remember the lawsuit over "the Harley sound"? In many instances, their copies were better than the originals.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yea....I like Hondas and Indians as well... really would like to have a Chief one day.... but this is close enough for now....

Gonz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts