Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TREE BRANCHES! I left home yesterday afternoon for an appointment. As I was accelerating on the 2 lane road that leaves my neighborhood (I was up to about 40 or 45) the car in front of me slammed on his brakes, eventually making a left turn, like he realized his turn was there at the last second. In a split second decision I decided I was going to pass him on the right shoulder rather than lock up the brakes. I saw that there was some overgrowth on the shoulder of the road but in the two seconds it took me to point in that direction it really didn't register fully. Believe me that it fully registered when I took several tree branches in the face!! As I was going only a short distance I was wearing a lid rather than the 3/4 helmet I normally wear.

Moral of the story. Tree branches to the face, head, neck and chest do not feel like Christmas morning!

·
Registered
268 Posts
OUCH

Had a cage do that to 2 weeks ago they made a sudden right turn, put the blinker on in the turn that helped yeah right. I make it a point to follow the 2-3 sec. rule still had to brake hard and go around him.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OUCH

Had a cage do that to 2 weeks ago they made a sudden right turn, put the blinker on in the turn that helped yeah right. I make it a point to follow the 2-3 sec. rule still had to brake hard and go around him.
I'm thinking that every time someone does something in a car that puts us in danger their punsishment should be a ride on the back of our bike. Let them ride with us for a few hours and see how stupidity in a car puts us in danger!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
That just makes too much sense. We can't have that :p Glad you're okay fellow VLXer.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
TREE BRANCHES! I left home yesterday afternoon for an appointment. As I was accelerating on the 2 lane road that leaves my neighborhood (I was up to about 40 or 45) the car in front of me slammed on his brakes, eventually making a left turn, like he realized his turn was there at the last second. In a split second decision I decided I was going to pass him on the right shoulder rather than lock up the brakes. I saw that there was some overgrowth on the shoulder of the road but in the two seconds it took me to point in that direction it really didn't register fully. Believe me that it fully registered when I took several tree branches in the face!! As I was going only a short distance I was wearing a lid rather than the 3/4 helmet I normally wear.

Moral of the story. Tree branches to the face, head, neck and chest do not feel like Christmas morning!
Glad you weren't more torn up, but do you think you might have been following a bit too close? Or, perhaps, going a wee bit too fast not allowing assured braking distance?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you weren't more torn up, but do you think you might have been following a bit too close? Or, perhaps, going a wee bit too fast not allowing assured braking distance?
Absolutely. It however seems like more of a stop from acceloration. Does that make sense? I was going through the gears when this guy slammed on his breaks. It seems like more of a stop than if I were cruising.

Either way I probably should have had 2 car lengths instead of one between us.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Absolutely. It however seems like more of a stop from acceloration. Does that make sense? I was going through the gears when this guy slammed on his breaks. It seems like more of a stop than if I were cruising.

Either way I probably should have had 2 car lengths instead of one between us.
Indeed - give yourself plenty of room to make an emergency stop in the future. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad you faired well considering.

I've hit tumbleweeds here in the desert, doesn't matter if you a 2 second rule or not, winds are unpredictable. I almost think the wind does have a sense of cruel humor when it comes to that, always seems to push blowing objects in your general direction, whether your bobbing and weaving or going the straight and narrow.

·
Registered
808 Posts
OUCH!
Glad you did not suffer any serious injuries...
Another thing that can hurt worse than bugs are the rocks ad crapulenz that come off tires on the freeway!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Somebody earlier said to leave a 2 second safety zone. Good thinking if it can be done! Around here, if you leave that kind of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you, some jacka$$/idiot/moron/spacecase/simpleton/texter/cellphoner/newspaperreader
will sqeeze their big butts into that area. They even make right and left hand turns from the center lane without looking. After all, they are much more important than anyone else in the world---BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PLEASE!

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Somebody earlier said to leave a 2 second safety zone. Good thinking if it can be done! Around here, if you leave that kind of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you, some jacka$$/idiot/moron/spacecase/simpleton/texter/cellphoner/newspaperreader
will sqeeze their big butts into that area. They even make right and left hand turns from the center lane without looking. After all, they are much more important than anyone else in the world---BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PLEASE!
I hear ya, but one needs to be aware of ones surroundings at all times and it's best to leave yourself a safety zone regardless. If that zone includes anticipating some bonehead pulling in front of you, you still have the advantage. And, that's when having a loud horn helps (Stebel)....

Just my $.02....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.