Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i messed up on the last step of kreem. it looked too thick and wouldnt dry correctly. i used acetone to remove it, but now i see a slight rust coating on the whole tank. i htink this is the "flash rusting" they spoke of in the instructions.

i have been told muratic acid will work well to remove the rust, then baking soda to neutralize it. will this also induce "flash rusting"? i dont want to line the tank, it dosent seem like a good idea to try again, do i even need to line the tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
"i messed up a kreem job" if I had a nickel everytime I said that...

If you do not coat the bare steel it will certainly rust when exposed to moisture (water drops from condensation, your favorite old gas can, your local gas station and as you have already seen, humidity.) Buy another kit, take your time and try again Grasshopper.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If there wasn't a rust problem in the first place coatings would never have been invented. I think that ethanol is going to create even more rust problems, and unless you have a gas can at hom to top it iff every night when you park it all the exposed metal will for sure start to flash rust. The only way to rustproof it without paint or coating is to galvanize it...and that would not be practical for many reasons.

EDIT: Another mental approach... would you rather have rust (certainly) plugging up your fuel filter, or a coating (possibly) clogging it up? If it were to get through, which would cause more engine damage?

G

·
0 Posts
s3v3rth3stars said:
ive seen the coatings b ut my buddies assure me the bare steel should be fine, i really dont know.
Once you clean the tank with acid (as found in the kreem kit) your tank will flash rust. You really need to coat it and the best is POR-15.

You can clean the flash rust with a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water.

Originally, the interior of the tank was probably plated. That plating's long gone now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't think size matters at all as long as it will connect to your fuel line. If the inlet/outlet holes are considerably smaller than what your fuel lines connect to now you may have a flow problem. As far as the physical size of the filter, often a bigger filter has more surface area and would (in my mind at least) do a better job of filtering and take longer to get dirty enough to restrict flow. Beyond those considerations, I would just find something you can make fit in the space you have available.

·
Registered
335 Posts
you could always replace it after a year and cut the old one open.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah thats true. today to my dismay i found out what REAL flashrust was. i accidentally left the tank out open, on the coldest dryest night of the year.. and tonight there is not one good spot in the tank... should have left it alone. im gonna pick up another kreem kit.

i have a quaestion about the last step with the kreem..

are you supposed to leave step 2 in wnd pour the white liner in with it to kind of dilute it? i really need help i dont want to spend another 40 bux :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts